Feed The Beast - Redpower and 1.5.x

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigfatgary

Jul 29, 2019
I have been reading this post since it first posted; I also followed Slowpoke's stream for the last few days.
I just want to give my two cents, especially to those who are angry that FTB has yet again delayed the release.

Like many others, I could not wait for a 1.5.1 update for FTB.

A few days ago, I went ahead and put all the mod packs that are available for 1.5.1 on my home server and invite my friends to play on it. I also included the new mods such as Ars Magica, Tinker's Construct and Hat mods.

To sum up, the experience of playing wasn't particularly great. There are a few bugs of different mods compatibility. (e.g. A few buildcraft items are listed as something else, or pulverisation ores become something else; rendering most of buildcraft useless; we all used IC2 machines instead...)

Also missing world gens such as from xycraft meaning that we will definitely need a new mystctraft age to mine for xycraft ores later when it is out; also without both railcraft and xycraft; we didn't know what liquid tank storage we could make...

I now understand why FTB has delayed the release, and rightly so. I imagine it is hard for many independent developers to adhere to any particular schedule. And very hard for FTB to give a meaningful release date.

Sad to say though, I feel like how this mod business work, we will always be playing catch up. I guess not only until Mojang gives us a proper modding API, wouldn't the mods be more in-line with the core game. The new launcher for 1.5.2 snapshot seems quite promising, hopefully a major change will come about when it hits 1.6.

FTB is doing a great job rounding up all these mods and make sure they work with each other; waiting for updates are really out of their hands. When Slowpoke said "it will be released when it's done." Then that's that.

Reactions: diggerjohn99

DarkMukke

Jul 29, 2019
i can agree on that, news can be done easy like just include i dunno twitter into the homepage and give updates on whats going on and stuff, dont need to be much, just like "talking to this author today, or testing out a mod that has been update to 1.5.x", and it takes like 2min to post it

Matterbound

Jul 29, 2019
What I find puzzling is why Slow STILL hasn't updated us about whats going on...

If you're not going to release the packs on time, at least give an update in the next day or two.

Reactions: goreae

Melynxis

Jul 29, 2019
Why oh why oh why am i have flashbacks of "Duke Nuke Em Forever" and "Half life" where the answer

Whens it going to be out!!! "When its done.." or "Soon" pop into my head

diggerjohn99

Jul 29, 2019
I don't get the complaining either. What we currently have is still pretty damn good. The mods don't work together yet in 1.5. What do you want Slow to do? He thought he had a set time frame for the update, it didn't work out, that is hardly the man's fault. Welcome to life guys, where plans almost never work out perfectly.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
I have been reading this post since it first posted; I also followed Slowpoke's stream for the last few days.
I just want to give my two cents, especially to those who are angry that FTB has yet again delayed the release.

Like many others, I could not wait for a 1.5.1 update for FTB.

A few days ago, I went ahead and put all the mod packs that are available for 1.5.1 on my home server and invite my friends to play on it. I also included the new mods such as Ars Magica, Tinker's Construct and Hat mods.

To sum up, the experience of playing wasn't particularly great. There are a few bugs of different mods compatibility. (e.g. A few buildcraft items are listed as something else, or pulverisation ores become something else; rendering most of buildcraft useless; we all used IC2 machines instead...)

Also missing world gens such as from xycraft meaning that we will definitely need a new mystctraft age to mine for xycraft ores later when it is out; also without both railcraft and xycraft; we didn't know what liquid tank storage we could make...

I now understand why FTB has delayed the release, and rightly so. I imagine it is hard for many independent developers to adhere to any particular schedule. And very hard for FTB to give a meaningful release date.

Sad to say though, I feel like how this mod business work, we will always be playing catch up. I guess not only until Mojang gives us a proper modding API, wouldn't the mods be more in-line with the core game. The new launcher for 1.5.2 snapshot seems quite promising, hopefully a major change will come about when it hits 1.6.

FTB is doing a great job rounding up all these mods and make sure they work with each other; waiting for updates are really out of their hands. When Slowpoke said "it will be released when it's done." Then that's that.
I'm not mad (actually the right word there would be annoyed) by the delay, I'm just peeved that nobody said anything about it outside slowpoke's stream. i can understand the wait. I'm fine with delays. I would just like it if I didn't find out about these sort of news from someone who happened to watch a stream. I can wait another few(?) weeks for a public beta pack, I just think that if they put out an ETA and fail to meet it, they should at least tell us about the delay instead of staying silent. I would be fine with even an edit to the original post, like

"EDIT: The 1.5.1 pack will be delayed because IC2 is taking longer than we anticipated. It will probably be another week."

I also installed the available mods on a multiMC instance, and was not very entertained.

Matterbound

Jul 29, 2019
The more rational people are, and it is understandable. But I am also seeing a lot of complaints about the delay itself.

A better, more revised explanation would be:

People aren't upset about the packs being delayed, people are upset about the packs being delayed and Slowpoke leaving us in the dark.

Shirkit

Jul 29, 2019
If you want real-time news, watch his stream. Otherwise, WAIT. Everyone is waiting for IC2, it's add-ons are ready and just waiting for the developers to finish the update. I cannot think in FTB without it, so we wait for it to release a version that doesn't crash or corrupt the world.

Jul 29, 2019
I think the majority of the people in this forum are content with waiting, it's the fact that we're not being updated, and the only news was on Slowpoke's stream in small font.
It's not the lack of the updating FtB, it's the lack of updating us.

Reactions: mathjazz

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
If you want real-time news, watch his stream. Otherwise, WAIT. Everyone is waiting for IC2, it's add-ons are ready and just waiting for the developers to finish the update. I cannot think in FTB without it, so we wait for it to release a version that doesn't crash or corrupt the world.

I don't particularly want my small child to start repeating bad language, also not sure I want to watch a stream at any given point in time. I also don't think it's the most appropriate method of communication. If you do, fair enough, but don't ask me to stop voicing my perfectly reasonable opinion. I'm not voicing it in an offensive manner, just pointing out what I see and think. So please don't shout at me, thanks! ;)

Eta I'm not actually going to use the new pack, I'm waiting for Redpower.

Sertas

Jul 29, 2019

1. Slow, seemingly on his own, created this post to inform the community of the status of FTB. In which HE gives a defined and clear release date for the 1.5 beta pack.

2. The release date was not met.

3. Slow, nor anyone from FTB have said anything, on the forums, regarding the delay.

Question: Why create this post giving AWESOME information and not follow up when the release, again freely given, was not met?

Result: No information has left the community in the dark and "customers" are upset about the lack of information. Non communication is a mistake especially when one can predict how the community is going to react. Watching Slow's stream is NOT a good place for community news. The community site is the place for that news. ANYONE from FTB could have posted anything regarding the delay and most people would've been satisfied.

Conclusion: A simple 1 line post would eliminate MOST of the questions regarding the delay and it take about 1 minute to type and post. Is that REALLY too much to ask and be labeled a complainer because of the asking?

For the record people aren't asking for real time information. We are asking for any information. And I'm not picking on you, just picked your post to quote because it's the latest one at the time I wrote this.

Status
Not open for further replies.