Family Gaming

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
If you're mostly playing on your own, you could spend time creating an adventure map. Just a thought. I'm thinking about it :)

Funny, I was just thinking the same thing. I've got a server subscription but I'm not really making use of it. Maybe I'll scan this thread to find family-friendly players to invite. On the other hand, I don't really want the job of doing admin and dealing with user's requests or potential griefing.

Well, there is the rub. I wouldn't want to play admin either really. I don't mind in a limited capacity, but I would expect folks on my server to be self sufficent and decent people. The hope is the people you add would never have a grief issue arise. Me and mine wouldn't ever intentionally do something like grief, even my 6 year old is savvy to playing nice and not breaking or taking things that aren't his. But trouble is I can't speak for everyone else's. But small handful of people shouldn't be a big deal. Hell, my house doesn't even have walls yet cause I haven't figured out how I'm gonna build it yet, let alone worrying about things like locking my chests. I just don't need too. In fact, if my daughter needs a stack of iron or friend needs to use my machines, don't care. That's even cool, feels more like a community. But I wouldn't be opposed to having a few more folks in the mix. It's a new server and everyone is just getting started. Only two of us that even really know what we are doing.

Dunno, have to ponder that.

Now that would be awesome indeed. If you do get around to doing that I'd be very interested especially because of the no foul language part! 'Twostocks' is the name to be whitelisted...;)

You know, it looks like there's enough people that might be interested that I could actually get off my lazy butt and get it ready for people to play on this week (I have friday off work...). Specially for those that said they don't want to admin (I enjoy that part).

I'll have to get the groups setup and stuff installed this week...then I migth get it open to the public (the world was actually just started a few days ago, so it's fresh world). FTB Unleashed 1.5.2, and I'll add a creative world for those that want to use it as well.

(I'll also be setting up a forum if people want to chat, plan builds, etc and probably a TS3 server if anyone would be interested)

verdiman

Jul 29, 2019
Since both my kids play we had a new car ride game on our trip to Florida this year, it's 20 questions but it has to be an object from Minecraft. My kids are even savvy enough to ask whether it is a vanilla or something from a mod .... top questions "Is it a mob", "Can you mine it", "Is it found in the Nether" great fun.

Indie I know what you mean about sleepless nights, I am still up after the kids go to bed either watching twitch minecraft or working on my base, 5 hour energies are the only thing keeping me going!

Lohengrin - Any chance your name comes from the Wagner opera? Just wondering because the Verdi in my name refers to Giuseppe.... I'm a big opera fan.

Reactions: Lohengrin

verdiman

Jul 29, 2019
Staxed,

If it is alright I would be interested in participating along with my two kids if you start a server. It would be good to let them expeirence mulltiplayer minecraft without having to worry about the language and content you find on most public servers. I would also be willing to help out anyway you need.

Lohengrin

Jul 29, 2019
Since both my kids play we had a new car ride game on our trip to Florida this year, it's 20 questions but it has to be an object from Minecraft. My kids are even savvy enough to ask whether it is a vanilla or something from a mod .... top questions "Is it a mob", "Can you mine it", "Is it found in the Nether" great fun.

Indie I know what you mean about sleepless nights, I am still up after the kids go to bed either watching twitch minecraft or working on my base, 5 hour energies are the only thing keeping me going!

Totally. I work in medicine. I take care of people from 8am to 8pm. Evenings are me time which I am loathe to give up for paltry things like sleep. Pft. Sleep is for the weak!

Lohengrin
- Any chance your name comes from the Wagner opera? Just wondering because the Verdi in my name refers to Giuseppe.... I'm a big opera fan.

And gold star to you, sir! Indeed it is. Tis a good story and I like the name. :D

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
Staxed,

If it is alright I would be interested in participating along with my two kids if you start a server. It would be good to let them expeirence mulltiplayer minecraft without having to worry about the language and content you find on most public servers. I would also be willing to help out anyway you need.

Certainly, I'll post an add most likely when it's ready and let people know.

Reactions: Stocks

Indie

Jul 29, 2019

Lohengrin - Any chance your name comes from the Wagner opera? Just wondering because the Verdi in my name refers to Giuseppe.... I'm a big opera fan.

That's an excellent game :)
I've just finished a 4 hour game of Carcassonne (I'm a board game geek too) and wondering if I should jump into FTB now. It's 20 past midnight!! Maybe just for 5 minutes, to wind down before bed.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
That's an excellent game :)
Maybe just for 5 minutes, to wind down before bed.

Before you know it you will have been playing for 3 hours working towards something like a jetpack or ore processing plant. Modded Minecraft is never just 5 minutes, I can never just leave a project half done.

Indie

Jul 29, 2019
Before you know it you will have been playing for 3 hours working towards something like a jetpack or ore processing plant. Modded Minecraft is never just 5 minutes, I can never just leave a project half done.

That's usually the case lol. But not last night. It's still laggy. But fear not, my new server arrives today! :)

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
That's usually the case lol. But not last night. It's still laggy. But fear not, my new server arrives today! :)

Good luck with that! :)

I managed to log off FTB last night at around 11, I was shocked! :D

NashuLee

Jul 29, 2019
We also run a homeschooler server for the local area homeschool kids for kind of a safe haven, "social" interaction. Gives those kids a stable spot to play together as homeschool kids are generally scattered through the city and not easy for them to get together on the proverbial playground.

Both my older kids are home schooled. I think that is great. Do you require that they live in your area to check out he server?

Stocks

Jul 29, 2019
You know, it looks like there's enough people that might be interested that I could actually get off my lazy butt and get it ready for people to play on this week (I have friday off work...). Specially for those that said they don't want to admin (I enjoy that part).

I'll have to get the groups setup and stuff installed this week...then I migth get it open to the public (the world was actually just started a few days ago, so it's fresh world). FTB Unleashed 1.5.2, and I'll add a creative world for those that want to use it as well.

(I'll also be setting up a forum if people want to chat, plan builds, etc and probably a TS3 server if anyone would be interested)

This is exactly the kind of server I've been looking for. I would love for this to work out. If you don't mind, send me a PM when it goes live.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
If you wouldn't mind having a 55 year old, married (no children) pre-teen on your server, I would also be interested in joining.

I played Minecraft way back when it was in alpha (it was a free download and had no mobs). It's been on the fringes of my awareness all along but then I found the YouTube videos (I'm partial to the MineCrack crew). I got MC PE for my nook e-reader and then had to buy the PC version. That was all last month.

I've not played on a server yet, although I'm not a stranger to on-line gaming. I've been a subscriber to Dungeons & Dragons Online since it went public in 2006 and tried LotRO when they started the Free to play model, and have been in family friendly guilds in both games. I'm used to online communities and know how to behave 8^)

Indie

Jul 29, 2019
Good luck with that! :)

I managed to log off FTB last night at around 11, I was shocked! :D
11pm? But that's not even close to next day? That's terrible!!

Set my server up last night. Let some mobs chase me. They didn't sprint. Broke some blocks. They didn't reappear. So far so good. I'll let the kids loose on it over the weekend and they can hopefully confirm that it was money well spent!

"Onwards and Downwards"

Dantenatyr

Jul 29, 2019
How I got started was my son wanted to get a server running so him and his cousin could play. I help him with that and, of course, I needed to play it a bit to test the server. Had to make sure things were working, right? Then I got hooked. Then my son introduced me to Tekkit and soon after that I discovered FTB. My life has never been the same since. :p

I run the server for my family now with my son, my brother, his son, and myself playing. My brother likes to build architecturally, his son builds random stuff, I build all the mechanical infrastructure while my son like to blow things up. I like to think this is bonding time for the boys.

bigtwisty

Jul 29, 2019
I love playing minecraft with my kids, LittleTwisty and MiddleTwisty. I'm an electrical engineer by trade, and have used the game to teach them programming techniques and manufacturing controls concepts. It has been a great way to get them interested in engineering, and has been a lot of fun to boot!

It is awesome seeing so many other parents on here having similar experiences.

Indie

Jul 29, 2019
Of course, I needed to play it a bit to test the server. Had to make sure things were working, right?
That will remain the world's best ever excuse to play games with the kids!!

My brother likes to build architecturally, his son builds random stuff, I build all the mechanical infrastructure while my son like to blow things up. I like to think this is bonding time for the boys.
Sounds like the circle of life there.[DOUBLEPOST=1376911133][/DOUBLEPOST]
It is awesome seeing so many other parents on here having similar experiences.
I'm please I started this thread, for that very reason. I'm glad it's not just me being "sad" (as some would say). I love spending/wasting hours playing Minecraft.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I believe engines are much more fun in mechanical sense. Unlike solar where you just place them down and wait for energy.

Agreed. That's why Steam Engines are so much fun. They move when they are providing power *and* they make a cool steam valve wheeshing sound. Solar panels just sit there. Effective, but boring.

As for family gaming, my 6-yr-old daughter *loves* Minecraft. She is mostly into building, exploring, and watching me play. However, she has started expressing an interest in doing more complicated things like making tools in a TC forge, building engines and supplying them with input, etc.,. My son is only 3, but he is fascinated watching us play. I think he's going to be a hardcore MC gamer when he gets a little older. He loves, loves, loves his trains and train tracks.

Indie

Jul 29, 2019

Hey Staxed, did you ever get your family-friendly server up and running?

Reactions: Staxed