Failing to Launch, too much Java

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.
P

PyreStarite

Title:
Failing to Launch, too much Java
Launcher Version:
v1.4.12
Modpack:
SkyFactory 2.5
Modpack Version:
Log Link:
Details of the issue:
I wanted to switch from evolved skyblock to skyfactory because I felt that the expert mode on evolved was much to limiting as features were cut to increase difficulty. So I downloaded skyfactory but when I try to launch it the log got stuck about where one could note "exception in the thread [main]" or something close to that, I didn't save it.

So I searched for an answer and someone said I should download Java version 8 update 51 so I went and did so from this place
http://offlineinstallersoft.blogspot.com/2015/07/download-java-8-update-51-offline.html#.V08_fPkrKUl
I have read the warning about links in posts and understand the need for validation.

As it turns out I was running Java 7 update 71 I believe and was playing evolved skyblock just fine. Updating to 8.51 cause my launcher to close and when it finished and I tried opening the ftb launcher again it just told me I was running an out of date java version. Now things are getting very screwy so it directed me to ANOTHER version of java (Java 8 Version 91) but when I open the launcher now, it's warning me that this version is 32 bit when I have a 64 bit system. I read the warnings of course.

This is why I don't touch things, because when I touch things they break. Please someone tell me what actual version of Java to use and how I can actually get to playing skyblock. I know this seems weak and lazy of me but no more touching for me.

P

PyreStarite

I do not have the log, I did not save it, I thought I could fix it, I was wrong. I can replicate the issue I believe by downloading the 1st java but that would be unpleasant.

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
1. Don't download java from places other than java.com/oracle.com

2. To download newest version of Java, go to http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp and select an OFFLINE installed for a _64BIT_ system, whichever you have (most likely windows)

3. If you have the "pixel format not accelerated" or whatever is the error, it means you have 2nd or 3rd generation integrated intel GPU and windows 10. For that you need a Java version below 8u60, so go to http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/j...archive-javase8-2177648.html#jre-8u51-oth-JPR and download JRE8.51 (jre-8u51-windows-x64.exe)

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Also, for future reference, if you use Mojang's launcher you can completely uninstall Java, unless you use it for other things, since Mojang now loads its own copy of ver. 1.8.0_25 Java Runtime Environment when you start Minecraft and removes it when you exit the game.

Minecraft loaded in this manner always uses the JRE version used to develop that version of Minecraft, no matter what (if any) version of Java you install locally. For example, I keep a newer version for other programming projects, but MC currently always runs this version. When Mojang releases a version developed using a newer Java version it'll download that version automatically.

The Curse client links directly to Mojang's launcher which is more secure as you never give Curse your MC password, and also makes it easier to customize and share your packs.

P

PyreStarite

@Hambeau Good to know, thx.

@Moasseman I do in fact, for whatever reason, have windows 10, so I downloaded from the latter link as instructed and fought with my system for a little bit as I had to download it twice. If you don't want the boring story just skip to the end.

The first time was when it got auto ejected as I was prompted to uninstall "out of date" versions of java. Because the one 32 bit one I had was considered the up to date one, the 64 bit 8.51 got ejected as soon as I downloaded it. I deleted the 32 bit java and downloaded 8.51 again when I put together what shenanigans had happened and asked it to remind me later when prompted to uninstall out of date java versions after confirming what was considered out of date.

Stop skipping to here. Finally got it installed and skyfactory is now running. Thanks for the assistance.