Factorization router

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Rakankrad

Jul 29, 2019
So, I added the Factorization mod to my Magic World pack and I have been trying to figure out the router. I've read people mention how it can be used as a poor man sorter. I've tried to understand it but I just can't seem to figure out to set them up. If I put them in extract mode, they can't insert into a machine without a wooden pipe with an engine (or autharcic gate)? If anyone has made a sorting room using them, I'd like some tips and tricks.

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
Well they don't use pipes for one. Basically they are magic routers, rather hard to explain in txt but there are some good tuts on youtube and spotlights.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Mod spotlight will not tell you how to set up a sorting system properly, this is what I've done:

Chest (use this as a sorting chest to dump anything into and also quarry empties to this chest eventually via portal/rail cart)
Router 1 - place at side of this chest, upgrade with bandwidth, ejector and machine item upgrades.
- Set router 1 to Extract from chest side, eject to Router 2 side
Router 2 - place next to router 1, upgrade with bandwith and machine item upgrades
- Set router 2 to Insert into Top sides, and choose Barrel

Make sure all barrels you wish to sort into are somehow connected continuously from router 2.

Prepping the barrels - each barrel must be prepped before sorting can occur with an item, this has an advantage of letting you prioritise where items will be in in your barrel chain. So for instance in my setup I have my ingots closest to my work area and less used items further away.

Some screenies:

http://s9.postimage.org/x9zp9v6a7/2012_12_16_19_32_43.png
http://s15.postimage.org/j2osykvtn/2012_12_16_19_33_04.png

When you get to a corner you need a barrel in the junction, which will be out of sight and usability, I just put some rarely used item in here which can be anything

http://s10.postimage.org/bpxthr4vd/2012_12_16_19_33_24.png

Reactions: MrAgle

FMAylward

Jul 29, 2019
Would this work if I didn't have anything in the barrel in the first place? Examples being I didn't care what order everything was in or my quarry filled an entire barrel of cobblestone? Or will this just not work with empty barrels.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
With empty barrels it distributes evenly in all available spaces, so if you had 64 barrels in a line and a stack of dirt you'd end up with 1 dirt in every barrel. The "thoroughness" upgrade I think is supposed to stop this but in the FTB beta version it's not doing anything.

Magicferret

Jul 29, 2019
Also get used to thinking in 'networks' of machines and routers. For example if you have a router with a line of chests to the north of it and another router on the east or west side of the first one both will be able to interact with the chests. This works brilliantly with barrels as b0bst3r explained. Very little setup for a fast, efficient sorting system that deals with a large variety of items.

Check out this thread too, I attempt to explain my router based ore processing system which you might find educational. :)

Rakankrad

Jul 29, 2019
Also get used to thinking in 'networks' of machines and routers. For example if you have a router with a line of chests to the north of it and another router on the east or west side of the first one both will be able to interact with the chests. This works brilliantly with barrels as b0bst3r explained. Very little setup for a fast, efficient sorting system that deals with a large variety of items.

Check out this thread too, I attempt to explain my router based ore processing system which you might find educational. :)
That's pretty neat. But I'm using Thermal Expansion for my ore processing combined with bc pipes to loop the stuff to ensure there's no overflow.

Kagbok

Jul 29, 2019
Couldn't you put chests in the corners and tell the sorting router to visit all barrels?

Magicferret

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah you could do that too if you made a machine filter, I was just using a router as an example. I like having a few routers on my barrel network anyway. One to pull things out of an input chest and eject to the barrel distributing one, and a load more for extracting stuff back out of the barrels.