Extra Biomes ... Not compelling content.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Too be honest, The redwood/fir forests are kinda useful early on as a fuel source.

As for struggling for certain biome types- did you have normal or large biomes set up?
-set your minimap zoom to smallest scale (shows most area) - Z and X keys. You can find most things fairly easy.

Their also fairly good for resources- IC rubber trees spawn in all the extra biomes with swampy climates (along with respective forestry bees and biome-controlled ore gen)

If you in SSP, then be as fussy as you want about world seeds- the first thing I do is go creative and gen the world to see if I like it.

I'll admit the giant trees and rocky terrain are not build friendly, but build next to one for an awesome view.

Indeed, apart from the FPS issues that these trees can cause, I personally feel they are out of scale with the rest of the minecraft world. Yes, I know redwoods are the tallest trees IRL, but they seem too tall for minecraft. Same goes for the massive firs.

Then you're not going to like the twilight forest...

Reactions: EternalDensity

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Then you're not going to like the twilight forest...
Actually, I do, as all those trees are in scale to each other and also more creatively designed.

The tall trees in EXBL are a bit artificial in shape, but understandable given the blocky world.

vasouv

Jul 29, 2019
Hey everyone, I'm bringing this thread back 'cause I'm also torn about this mod. Although I absolutely ADORE autumn forest, meadows and red rock mountains, some other biomes are a pain in the bum. They are extremely large, some of them difficult to traverse through and giant trees are a bit laggy.

So i was thinking of disabling EBXL and starting a new world with default terrain when Magic World updates. But quite honestly, EBXL provides some stunning scenery to build on and oh-so-many awesome blocks that I'd definitely want to use. And that's why I'm torn hehe.

I glimpsed something about a more tweakable config file regarding biome size etc? Are there any news about it? I'd hate to start a new world without EBXL and then find out it's easy to limit biome size or whatever... Right now I'm waiting for the Magic Pack to be updated, if that happens and EBXL doesn't have a more tweakable config, I'm stuck :p

Reactions: ScottKillen

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Simplest thing would be to disable the giant tree biomes. That's what I'm planning on doing.

Reactions: SkyBoy96

vasouv

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, disabling specific biomes is the easiest thing to do and I might resort to that. I might even throw in Redpower2 for the marble and basalt heheh

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
Mystcraft has a 'small biomes' symbol, I think. I'm sure there's some way to leverage that in creating an ideal age to settle in.

MrAndrew420

Jul 29, 2019
Hey everyone, I'm bringing this thread back 'cause I'm also torn about this mod. Although I absolutely ADORE autumn forest, meadows and red rock mountains, some other biomes are a pain in the bum. They are extremely large, some of them difficult to traverse through and giant trees are a bit laggy.

So i was thinking of disabling EBXL and starting a new world with default terrain when Magic World updates. But quite honestly, EBXL provides some stunning scenery to build on and oh-so-many awesome blocks that I'd definitely want to use. And that's why I'm torn hehe.

I glimpsed something about a more tweakable config file regarding biome size etc? Are there any news about it? I'd hate to start a new world without EBXL and then find out it's easy to limit biome size or whatever... Right now I'm waiting for the Magic Pack to be updated, if that happens and EBXL doesn't have a more tweakable config, I'm stuck :p
Set redwoodforest, redwoodlush and temperaterainforest to false where it says ____________.enablegeneration=true in the config file located at (FTB Directory)\minecraft\config\extrabiomes\extrabiomes.cfg

This will disable the laggy big tree biomes so you can enjoy the rest of the mod.

Reactions: vasouv

ScottKillen

Jul 29, 2019

This is great feedback. I wish I had seen it sooner!

I am currently writing the next major version of ExtrabiomesXL. You can read details here. The big feature will be a complete replacement of the vanilla terrain generator with an engine that is completely configurable in every way imaginable.

Reactions: Antice and arkangyl

arkangyl

Jul 29, 2019

I am currently writing the next major version of ExtrabiomesXL. You can read details here. The big feature will be a complete replacement of the vanilla terrain generator with an engine that is completely configurable in every way imaginable.
I cannot wait for that update, sir. This is what I've been looking for in the way of world gen ever since I started playing Minecraft!

vasouv

Jul 29, 2019

GUI for simple tweaking and "world pack" support? This is pure gold man, I won't even CARE if I'll have to reset my world once v4 is released...

Off topic but I sooo need to start using revision control myself...

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
I love the added diversity. It's no longer just the same plains - forest - mountains - ocean over and over again. Various biomes offer unique challenges and opportunities, no place is quite like another. I also love the various tree and stone types for decoration. Flowers are an easily renewable source of many otherwise non-renewable or difficult to get dyes. (Could we get a black flower please?)

I don't like trees being incompatible with the rest of the crafting world (glad that's getting fixed), but that can be worked around: craft chests and sawmill them to get oak planks from any kind of wood. Sadly I am also not a fan of the massive trees, not so much for performance concerns as for them being just so out of scale with anything vanilla. I don't think scaling all of them down 50% would harm anything.

One feature I'd love to see if there is to be a rewrite is more logic to biome creation. I remember back in alpha Minecraft had height/temperature/humidity maps which would determine biome placement. It would be nice to see something like that implemented. Seeing a tropical forest bordering a glacier is just too odd for my taste.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
One feature I'd love to see if there is to be a rewrite is more logic to biome creation. I remember back in alpha Minecraft had height/temperature/humidity maps which would determine biome placement. It would be nice to see something like that implemented. Seeing a tropical forest bordering a glacier is just too odd for my taste.
Hmmm... how about this? :

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
I think XtraBiomes would be much better if Minecraft had better trees in general. (When chopping the bottom block of wood, the rest would fall like sand but only if hit with an axe)