Extra Bees Genetic Engineering Guide

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
I did. In fact, the only thing I had to research was the Basic Genetic Stuff. I did not research on the Acclimatiser, as I thought (stupidly) that it would be the same as originally. These guides are prep for if I ever at all get to write a wiki page. Which will likely never happen, but I can still dream.
Well you kind of did have to research the Acclimatiser, seeing as how you got it wrong. And the guides aren't prep for getting a wiki page, they're to prove if you're worth giving a wiki page. You can't just say you'll do better than what you are doing, you have to prove it.

Reactions: Lambert2191

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
That's why I make more guides, after my practice from earlier, finding out my flaws and such. Researching more on things I haven't played with in a while is something I need to work on.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
That's why I make more guides, after my practice from earlier, finding out my flaws and such. Researching more on things I haven't played with in a while is something I need to work on.
maybe you should do research before you make something, add in lots of pictures, and make sure there's no mistakes? Also instead of saving 3 posts and using 1, add on to your current guides and make them better. :)

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
Turns out, I didn't need those saves.
Really you just didn't use them. It's like making a car and saying you don't need to paint it, you know? If you want to be a part of the wiki team, you should consider adding on to your guide and giving us a reason to use it. Add in some pictures. Make it a guide that tells us how to save on some of the costs or get them easily.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Really you just didn't use them. It's like making a car and saying you don't need to paint it, you know? If you want to be a part of the wiki team, you should consider adding on to your guide and giving us a reason to use it. Add in some pictures. Make it a guide that tells us how to save on some of the costs or get them easily.
But...
Aren't you supposed to paint a car because the paint is protective?
:D Found the thread!

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
the reason the Mercedes F1 team's car is silver is because in the 50s they didn't paint their race cars as they believed the paint would add weight, so their cars were the base metal colour :)
Considering paint of that time contained lead.. I'm not surprised at their hesitance to paint their cars :p

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
the reason the Mercedes F1 team's car is silver is because in the 50s they didn't paint their race cars as they believed the paint would add weight, so their cars were the base metal colour :)
Considering paint of that time contained lead.. I'm not surprised at their hesitance to paint their cars :p
I always thought that silver was a color, painted on cars. And I'd assume from my non-existent physics education that the paint would smooth everything out, leading to little wind resistance and an aerodynamic design

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
I always thought that silver was a color, painted on cars. And I'd assume from my non-existent physics education that the paint would smooth everything out, leading to little wind resistance and an aerodynamic design
in the 50's? Aerodynamic designs were none existant, the cars raced purely on mechanical grip. They had balls of titanium back then...

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
The 50's cars had the ability to pierce through the Heavens with their Giga-Drills.
They had the power.

senderfn

Jul 29, 2019
I like the guide. Nothing new to me, but probably a help for people who didnt start out with bees untill now or didnt play with extrabees at all.

Even if the guide has its flaws, I dont know why there is so much hate and offtopic in this thread...

ex13

Jul 29, 2019
May I give some advice on this guide as well and point out a few more errors? Ok, here I go:

The start of the guide is quite in depth, even using a picture (though it says: "after placing bees in the genepool, like so", and the screenshot does not show bees), but the more interesting machines are described only very superficial. Also, the guide could use more pictures, and especially better ones, which actually show that something is done (and not just an empty GUI). Maybe even the crafting recipies.

Indexer and Apiarists Databank are Extra Bees-machines, but have nothing to do with genetic engineering. I don't think they should be part of the guide. Also, the databank doesn't show the stats of all bees created, but the default traits of all bees - that is a difference, since you can breed bees with traits different than the default ones, and those don't appear in the databank.

Some parts could definitely use more information. For example, for the isolator, write which serums you can get, and which you don't (e.g. humidity and temperature, you can only get the tolerances; also, I don't think you can get the "not rain-tolerant" serum and so on). You also never wrote that the inoculator uses up charges of the serum.

Finally, for the inoculator part, there are a few errors in your guide: 1. Modifications to the active trait are also always succesfull, not only to the inactive trait. The only reason that a bee might take more than 2 charges (one for active, one for inactive), is that the inoculator may inoculate the active trait more than once before doing the inactive one (or the other way round). 2. Genetic mistakes include, but are not limited to, making the queen artificial (and hence killing it sooner or later). It can also reset some traits to the lowest value. This depends very much on the quality of the serum.

On final note: If you really want to be a wiki guide author (which I wouldn't recommend yet), you have to change your style. The wiki is supposed to be formal and informative, without useless information (sludge anyone?). Have a look here: Upcoming Community Wiki Involvement, especially "This is a technical wiki not a story-line guide. No anecdotal novels please."

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, Ex. The sludge was just there, it was a desert. And anyway, this isn't actually a wiki page. So it can have all kinds of story. On a server I play on, we have almost every single possible non-species serum. Still missing a few effects, but everything else is obtainable. Except for non-rain tolerant and not nocturnal. There is no humidity or temperature trait. Only tolerances. Editing now.
EDIT: Editing done, creating pictures now.