Epidemia's build journal

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Looks nice. Love the buildings etc.

I love the architecture of the windmill, but honestly it would do better without the windmill I think. Maybe a bell/clock tower? A wind mill needs to be able to rotate depending on the direction on the wind and would be placed on the highest point and not obstructed by walls etc. Maybe build a proper windmill and some fields for your serfs outside the walls?

One problem though that almost always arises when building in medieval style but also using tech mods is the rather obvious mismatch between the two styles. It is a tough challenge, but I would love to see more attempts on disguising the tech as medieval. Be it by building a cosmetic shell around it or whatever. The salination plant can be dug down into the ground so only the top block of the solars stick out for example. And you could possibly build something up around it to hide those as well.

Thanks rhn, that sounds like good advice. I struggle choosing the right place to build things and this time the placement of buildings seems especially random. But Ive always wanted to do a sprawling city/town type thing and NOT do it on a flat open field. I might start building new things outside the walls in different themes, just not sure.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Made a lot of progress since the last update.

So heres the house again, mostly finished this time. I used a few things from the Garden Stuff mod here such as the planters, wrought iron fence and the climbing ivy. Also I edited the Hawthorn plank texture (from Witchery) into a light grey wood which I think is a huge improvement over the silverwood planks I was using.
aRbfzZX.jpg

w0QJqFq.jpg

Heres where you judge how fabulous an interior decorator I am. Gained a new appreciation for Bibliocraft and Decocraft in the process.
G9yjFpF.jpg

8z31Kwd.jpg

9ygKSmA.jpg

Heres the view outside the front. Spammed bonemeal for the overgrown look which just happens to be beneficial for my altar. The castle is still a WIP so never mind that.
cSHrtSo.jpg
Oh, and did I mention that I tore down and rebuilt the house in a better location?
uxXpQhT.jpg

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
My house caught on fire! Protip: carpenters blocks, even with bricks inside can eventually catch fire.
Yeah bit annoyed about this as well. Cannot use them near a hot IC2e MOX reactor :(

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Part of me wants to laugh. The other part is about to offer advice.

Ahem. Check and see if a cart detector will work for the mana cart. Then run it either into a state cell, or a computer and have that out put a pulse after a bit. If not, try a detector rail instead.

Reactions: epidemia78

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah bit annoyed about this as well. Cannot use them near a hot IC2e MOX reactor :(

Worst part is how long they waited to burn. I was on my way towards an oil spout for my Magneticraft needs when I noticed the roof was gone, lol.

Part of me wants to laugh. The other part is about to offer advice.

Ahem. Check and see if a cart detector will work for the mana cart. Then run it either into a state cell, or a computer and have that out put a pulse after a bit. If not, try a detector rail instead.

Yeah laugh it up. Ive been meaning to ask for mana cart advice, so thanks. :)

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
None of The RC detector blocks can't read the mana cart. As there's no items or fluids to detect.
You will have to use a comparitor on the mana pool to detect it's mana levels and make it so the boarding rail is powered when it's full. If not set up properly rail based mana can be quite lossy.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Don't need to know the amount in the cart. Just need to say Hey, Cart. Then a timer starts counting until it's full. Or however long you set it, then powers the track and sends it off. I'd be running a state cell myself so it only runs when the cart is in place.

So far I've never burnt down a house, though not for lack of opportunity.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
Pretty sure you can pop a comparitor on the pump itself and it'll tell you how much mana is in the mana pool cart.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Pretty sure you can pop a comparitor on the pump itself and it'll tell you how much mana is in the mana pool cart.
Is that a new thing? Last time I tried it the comparitor registered no change in signal regardless of the carts presence or mana level. Frankly I'd rathet it have a flat signal stating wether it's pumping or not. On if working, off if idle.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
it's been there pretty much since it was introduced. Direwolf actually used the said feature in his episode today, and I (although i have no pictures) had it in regrowth pre-update working that way.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Hey everybody its time for a Magneticraft-astic Update! 100 percent magic-free! After a few days playing around with Magneticraft, I can confidently say this mod is freaking awesome. Even though its still a WIP, I havent run into many problems.

The approach...
13ISxzu.png

3mvKxa3.png

The big reveal...DUN DUN DUN
4MMYLy5.png

YicORB0.png

hXg1wae.png

This hulking monstrosity is comprised of six steam turbines fed by six HP boilers. The boilers are fed 3 different liquid fuels supplied by the Magneticraft refinery setup in the next room. The hard-hat guys are from the Custom NPCs mod and dont do anything except walk around a path I set for them.

Couple extra shots:
GyP2iOk.png

5EnVawH.png

Heres the underside where you can see all of the piping:
stgzn1c.png

Y1aGQuk.png

RWE8uQM.png

And a few closing shots:
Out back:
S2Cisvi.png

The refinery, still a WIP. It produces 3 fuels from oil (which I am pumping from an RF tools oil ocean dimension) Natural gas, Light and Heavy oil.
KUMyCMb.png

The orange and white thingies spin around and convert Magneticraft volts to RF. Not super happy with the numbers here but oh well.
fQ9QINM.png

Also set up an Enhanced portal to make the trip from here to there a bit more instantaneous.
ca2jBYF.png

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Oh god, thank you!

This is soooo typical iconic front door view of ordinary house. Common, every family have to have at least 3 gas turbines sitting in entryway, right?
But now seriously, it looks good. Hope you will add more details here and there.
May i ask what these are?

Ha, yeah just like my grandma's house.

1+2 are supposed to be a support beam for the upper level. The blocks are carbide from Magneticraft and the other things "structural arm" from Immersive Engineering. I think they look good together. 3 is the control panel of a turbine on the lower level.

And now that you mention it, I have been adding details. Hopefully its an improvement. I will post pics of my progress later today.