Epic Fail stories

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
It travels fine for house-like distances. It'd be a lot more efficient if we used a single high quality rectifier at the point where our house join the grid. Good Transformers and Rectifiers are quite expensive. We just experience crazy sums of lossage these days with all the lousy rectifiers we shove into the wall.

Yes which is way datacenters are looking at possibly running DC in house it ends up being like a 10% savings I believe.

The issue here is if the world switched to DC at the home... Look around your house. Now realize just how much it is going to cost to retrofit your home. Now look at all the products in your home and realize how many of those will need to power connections to take advantage of the DC system. Now realize that you would need to do this on a massive scale before companies started selling stuff was DC options right out the box.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Yes which is way datacenters are looking at possibly running DC in house it ends up being like a 10% savings I believe.

The issue here is if the world switched to DC at the home... Look around your house. Now realize just how much it is going to cost to retrofit your home.

Actually for where I live it'd make huge sense. The house i rent sells back solar to the grid over 50% of the year. Our water heater is gas, but our washer/dryer machine is a DC conversion job. Crazy huh? We even have big batteries because the owners of the house, "Didn't like the brownouts." And the other week when someone hit a pole and knocked off power for the block, sure enough we had power throughout the duration.

But we're lucky/unusual in this, I grant.

Now look at all the products in your home and realize how many of those will need to power connections to take advantage of the DC system. Now realize that you would need to do this on a massive scale before companies started selling stuff was DC options right out the box.

I actually suspect it'll happen anyways. As cars become electric, the sheer quantity of energy we draw and convert to DC will start to make it worthwhile

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
But we're lucky/unusual in this, I grant.

Yes you are self powered homes are rare still. Few opt for green power like solar or wind.

I actually suspect it'll happen anyways. As cars become electric, the sheer quantity of energy we draw and convert to DC will start to make it worthwhile

Yes don't get me wrong I agree DC in the home would be a good thing. But there is a few caveats to that. Even with the push to AC there were still DC city grids around until something like the 1970s I believe. Infrastructure changes never happen fast because there is a lot of money needed on both the civil side of things and the end user side of things. Heck you can look a the recent HD conversion to get an idea of the slowness of these things. Now also you have to see that you will still be steeping up and down power data centers are a good one of this. 380DC system would be find they could wire everything to use that directly with no conversion. But in the home not everything will or can do that you are not going to want to pipe 380 into your iphone so transformers will still be a fairly common sight even if we went full on DC in the home.

But in a perfect world I would love to see solar on every roof top. And wind system where they could be installed with low impact. Decentralizing power is indeed I hope the next big thing.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Assuming people realize that 'Electric Car' can mean something like the Tesla Model X (5 door sedan, looks like a sleek stationwagon with folding eagle-wing doors, has a top speed around 120 MPH and a range of 200+ miles) rather than the moronic golf carts that the Big Three are trying to pawn off on people, or the hybrids they are trying to claim are electric.

But in a perfect world I would love to see solar on every roof top. And wind system where they could be installed with low impact. Decentralizing power is indeed I hope the next big thing.
Power companies will fight this tooth and nail because it pretty much means their bankrupting, and they've got a lot of cash to throw at politicians to subtly throw road blocks into that. The biggest being the initial investment layout for the solar panels and wind turbines on the part of the consumers. While it is cost effective in the long run (free energy = zero power bills) the initial layout is not something every consumer has laying around.

SteveTech

Jul 29, 2019
It travels fine for house-like distances. It'd be a lot more efficient if we used a single high quality rectifier at the point where our house join the grid. Good Transformers and Rectifiers are quite expensive. We just experience crazy sums of lossage these days with all the lousy rectifiers we shove into the wall.

That there is the most logical argument I have seen for DC in the longest time. Usually it is people saying we should just do DC and forget about AC, but they don't realize all industrial scale things run on AC, heck anything above personal use is AC I believe... Vacuums.... Dish Washers... Furnaces... etc.

You would still require two grids within the house, but getting rid of all those noisy wall plugs would certainly be something.

Although you would still run into the problem of different devices requiring different voltages and it is much easier to transform AC than it is DC.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Power companies will fight this tooth and nail because it pretty much means their bankrupting, and they've got a lot of cash to throw at politicians to subtly throw road blocks into that. The biggest being the initial investment layout for the solar panels and wind turbines on the part of the consumers. While it is cost effective in the long run (free energy = zero power bills) the initial layout is not something every consumer has laying around.

Yes but it is also one of those things that can be grass roots driven. There is already a growing number of zero or negative sum power homes out there. The issue is not power company cost but the consumers cost. But that is coming down cheaper and more efficient systems are getting made. Soon it will get to a point that the cost to add it to a new home or retrofit and old one will be something that even the average home owner will like.

I don't think it will happen over night. And I am sure power companies will do what they can to slow it down. But I do hope (as I stated HOPE in my earlier post) people start looking into it on larger scales.

arentol

Jul 29, 2019
My most recent epic fail is reading the entire last page of this thread in the hopes that there might actually be another posting of an epic fail.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: EternalDensity

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
Pft, everything in my house uses 240V.

Oh and thanks for the advice, and electric cars are pretty cool :D
Actually not true, due to all the stuff which has low voltage DC as previously mentioned in the thread.

Minor fail: I noticed that powering my lava pump with a magmatic engine wasn't working because it kept overheating.
Then a ghast blew up the engine.

convictvx

Jul 29, 2019
this is a fail of me and a friend
never try to charge your mining laser in mfe/mfsu while holding the laser. destroyed mfe 2 times and mfsu 3 times, also my friend (was a co operative world) did it 5 times with the mfe and once with mfsu.

and this is a fail my friend knew the solution but didn't tell
also i made a decend biomass factory, hooked the biogas engines to redstone conduits(for powering squeezer (apple juice) and the fermenter), went all into a energy cell with a gate on it to turn of engines while he is full, after a while engines stopped workin. tried everything didn't work. after 2 days i noticed biogass engines needed lava for startup and my lava in engines was fininshed. my friend knew about the lava didn't tell me.

fail of me with a damned scared friend.
and i had hunted me 4 (acctually 5, 1 tier 5 cows but doesn't matter in this fail) tier 5 soul shards (blaze, wither skeleton, creeper and spider) build my mobgrinder, placed the soul cages klicked those soul shards in it. but forgot to apply redstone signal to them. last click and it went like wraarghh, boem, sssshhhhhhh boem, boem, boem. wither skels, spiders, blazes and creepers everywhere, took me 2 hours and several deaths to get gear back and apply redstone signal to the spawners. best piece of this story, didn't programmed my mellee turtles so anf my friend was watching me doing the fail after fail and refused to help me.

*that's why friends are for*

Reactions: ApSciLiara

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
Here's a fail; I pushed a creeper into my portal, and felt pretty clever about it.

Until I went through the portal later that day and got blown up, nearly losing a fortune pick and some other gear.

Reactions: EternalDensity

gusgillis1

Jul 29, 2019
Crafting long fall boots, jumping off a cliff in the nether.
Notice how I never said I put them on.

Same thing: Brewed up a fire resistance potion. Jumped off the same cliff, but into lava.
Again. I never said I drank the fire resistance potion.

QueWhat

Jul 29, 2019
1. It once took 3 days until I finally understood a joke.

2. I once tried retrieving a lapotronic charge pad with a pickaxe.

Reactions: ApSciLiara