Epic Fail stories

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

DarkWasp

Jul 29, 2019
When I crafted my first AESU and hooked it up to a steam boiler generating about 190 EU/t I put a few MFSUs underneath as buffers for when the AESU filled up. Their purpose was to measure an overflow start and an overflow end to allow for an automatic power drain into a Matter Fabricator.

I spent ALL day trying to figure out the redstone logic to make it work.

For those of you who haven't done it, on/off using redstone on power systems that are constantly both inputting and outputting is very difficult.

My plan was to have a toggle. If the first MFSU became empty and it would shut down the power drain, if the second MFSU became full it would start the power drain. I crafted a couple of gates and got to work. Now I'm a fan of difficult stuff, but I am horrible at redstone logic. Somehow my mind rabbit trailed into needing to diffuse a redstone pulse and spent the second half of the day trying to do that.

Then realization number 1 hit me. Ignoring short RS pulses would only cause my system to run in longer pulses.

Then realization number 2 hit me. I shouldn't have been using RS logic at all. For my setup, manual control of the power drain was better.

Effort: One full day of stretching my brain past its capabilities.
Conclusion: One lever.

Eunomiac

Jul 29, 2019
First time experimenting with a Tier 5 Blaze soul shard spawner, I raised it high above my base so the Blazes would continuously fall out of the entity-check zone. What I failed to realize was that the redstone signal was for turning it OFF, not ON... and with that, a constant flow of 6 Blazes every couple of seconds was raining down on my woefully underprotected base. (I had to snipe the soul cage with a Mining Laser from a few chunks away, I couldn't get near the thing.)

Just yesterday, I was resetting my Quarry after a server crash. I broke the Quarry, then immediately put it down again. Alas, I'd forgotten I was powering the Quarry with an Energy Tesseract that was still active. The default 10x10 configuration immediately sprang up, and that damnable floating robot lasered all of my surrounding equipment before I even knew what had happened.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
When I crafted my first AESU and hooked it up to a steam boiler generating about 190 EU/t I put a few MFSUs underneath as buffers for when the AESU filled up. Their purpose was to measure an overflow start and an overflow end to allow for an automatic power drain into a Matter Fabricator.

For those of you who haven't done it, on/off using redstone on power systems that are constantly both inputting and outputting is very difficult.

My plan was to have a toggle. If the first MFSU became empty and it would shut down the power drain, if the second MFSU became full it would start the power drain. I crafted a couple of gates and got to work. Now I'm a fan of difficult stuff, but I am horrible at redstone logic. Somehow my mind rabbit trailed into needing to diffuse a redstone pulse and spent the second half of the day trying to do that.

Then realization number 1 hit me. Ignoring short RS pulses would only cause my system to run in longer pulses.

Then realization number 2 hit me. I shouldn't have been using RS logic at all. For my setup, manual control of the power drain was better.

1st MFSU set to emit when empty -> state cell set to however long you want to spend charging your MFSU-> Matter Fab

Note that there are 2 distinct outputs from the state cell: one at a right angle to the input that extends your pulse for the set amount of time and one opposite the input that simply acts like a repeater with an easily configurable delay.

I'm sorta assuming you're using a boiler -> 1st MFSU -> 2nd MFSU setup rather than running 2 MFSUs in parallel. This means that any time the 1st MFSU isn't empty you know that the 2nd MFSU is full, eliminating any need for redstone signaling from the 2nd MFSU.

... or, ya know, a lever. On that sort of timescale there's little harm in manual control.

Fahrun

Jul 29, 2019
After reading this thread, my fail pales in comparison to a good collection of these great examples.

I've blown my own machines up accidentally, Dug straight down and hit lava. All these are pretty common I figure.

My fail however involves a Wrath Igniter and a Sand base. I had built a desert themed base in a desert biome and was currently making a basement, I needed some lighting, so I looked up Wrath Lamps and how to make Dark iron. Got my Iron blocks ready and stepped just outside my base and proceeded to hit the blocks of iron with the Igniter. It lagged a moment so I clicked a few times to be sure. After the game caught up. I realized I.. and everything else for that matter was on Fire. Being in a Fully upgraded MPS at this point I was fine and could easily fly up to avoid death. However the near entirety of the desert as well as most of my base was turned to Glass :c

Reactions: ApSciLiara

sumguy

Jul 29, 2019

My solution was to use a RS latch, set the first MFSU (One closest to AESU) to output signal when empty, and the last MFSU to output a signal when full. Wire it into the RS latch and the output to the Matter Fab. So when all the MFSUs empty, the latch gets toggled and the Matter Fab turns off. If it fills up 1/4 way, then empties (Causing another signal), it will NOT toggle the Matter Fab back on. Then, when the last MFSU fills up, it sends a signal to turn the system on. If your power input were to exceed the output of the MFSU, and the signal is activated again, the RS latch will NOT power off the matter fab, only when it recieves the signal from the first MFSU that it is empty. Just built one the other day, works pretty good for me.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
Trying to figure out universal electricity. I discovered that I can make stuff explode but I don't really know what the rules are so I've had to replace bits of the floor a few times. At least with IC/GT I generally knew what I shouldn't connect to what.

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
Trying to figure out universal electricity. I discovered that I can make stuff explode but I don't really know what the rules are so I've had to replace bits of the floor a few times. At least with IC/GT I generally knew what I shouldn't connect to what.

Okay what broke.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
Okay what broke.
Don't worry it was all a couple of days ago (before you left) and I just had to put some gold floor bricks back and replace one or two. And I had to replace a UE wiremill (which is annoyingly distinct from the GT one).
I think I might need some sort of voltage changification thing.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
2013-06-03_14.10.46.png

2013-06-03_14.10.47.png

So a couple of times I swooped in and grabbed lots of drops.
I pressed my luck a little too far. I really should have a) put a serious limit in the system b) made it very easy to turn it off and reach the chests where the grinder puts stuff without endangering myself c) enclosed it so that using Mob Repulsor didn't keep bouncing them over the wall to freedom d) used creepers (i wanted gunpowder) because they're safer e) made some splash potions beforehand for fast killing f) not flown around wearing an MPS which didn't actually protect me at all.

Time to replace most of my MPS bits. At least I got my TConstruct pick and sword back.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
Make another MPS suit while you're at it... and maybe a division sigil.
Funny thing, I'd started making a MPS for you.
Now I'm going to have to start again. (Except that I saved my chestplate so that's a little less to do.)
Do you care where the batteries are put?

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
Funny thing, I'd started making a MPS for you.
Now I'm going to have to start again. (Except that I saved my chestplate so that's a little less to do.)
Do you care where the batteries are put?

Chestplate would be a good idea, thanks.
And oh hey we're doing that Thing again maybe we should stop and move it somewhere else like PMs or G+.

Reactions: EternalDensity

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Good idea: Clicking on an Igneous Extruder with a lava bucket.
Bad idea: Clicking in front of an Igneous Extruder with a lava bucket.

Good idea: Respawning at your bed.
Bad idea: Respawning at your bed where a creeper is waiting to blow up you, your bed, a chest, and a large part of your house, forcing you to respawn several hundred blocks away...

fergcraft

Jul 29, 2019
Good idea: Clicking on an Igneous Extruder with a lava bucket.
Bad idea: Clicking in front of an Igneous Extruder with a lava bucket.

Good idea: Respawning at your bed.
Bad idea: Respawning at your bed where a creeper is waiting to blow up you, your bed, a chest, and a large part of your house, forcing you to respawn several hundred blocks away...

bad day huh

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019

Basically everything uses 120v except batteries. That is the rule.

Reactions: EternalDensity

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Basically everything uses 120v except batteries. That is the rule.

Sort of like real life.

But not really. 120v 60Hz is standard house current but when you get into industrial machines 120v is not always the standard.

But I can see why UE wanted to make things simpler.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Sort of like real life.

But not really. 120v 60Hz is standard house current but when you get into industrial machines 120v is not always the standard.

But I can see why UE wanted to make things simpler.

A few machines use 240v. Nothing uses 480v but some power supplies use it. I think it's a longstanding curiosity that the particle accelerator uses 120v. I think this was done actually to require you to use superconductor wire.

In real life: I suspect tho that lots of people wish we weren't using AC anymore given how a HUGE sum of our power gets turned back into DC in the last meter, usually with increasingly preposterous and low-quality transformer/rectifiers.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
A few machines use 240v. Nothing uses 480v but some power supplies use it. I think it's a longstanding curiosity that the particle accelerator uses 120v. I think this was done actually to require you to use superconductor wire.

In real life: I suspect tho that lots of people wish we weren't using AC anymore given how a HUGE sum of our power gets turned back into DC in the last meter, usually with increasingly preposterous and low-quality transformer/rectifiers.

Yes but DC just does not travel long distance well. AC really is the best for that which is why all the high voltage is AC and then you convert to DC at your device.

Over all it is just more efficient and cost effective to run AC from plant to home and then convert to DC.

if you want to dig deeper on the subject check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_Currents

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Yes but DC just does not travel long distance well. AC really is the best for that which is why all the high voltage is AC and then you convert to DC at your device.

It travels fine for house-like distances. It'd be a lot more efficient if we used a single high quality rectifier at the point where our house join the grid. Good Transformers and Rectifiers are quite expensive. We just experience crazy sums of lossage these days with all the lousy rectifiers we shove into the wall.