Ender Pearls

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Heaven forbid! Doing things the way they were intended to be done... For shame!!! :D
Well ok have to admit that now I just go to the nearest ME terminal and pick one of the thousands of pearls farmed by my cursed earth farm :p
But early game I was content with having to go kill a few endermen and nurse my few ender lily seeds a bit.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
See now, I want to go to the end (DW20 1.0.23) but for some reason, after collecting 6 ender pearls and turning them into eyes of ender, they show me to an abandoned mineshaft... That I've already explored... Once down into the shaft, the pearls start telling me the portal is above me.. I think something went wrong in the world gen...

Any ideas for my problem?

Strill

Jul 29, 2019
See now, I want to go to the end (DW20 1.0.23) but for some reason, after collecting 6 ender pearls and turning them into eyes of ender, they show me to an abandoned mineshaft... That I've already explored... Once down into the shaft, the pearls start telling me the portal is above me.. I think something went wrong in the world gen...

Any ideas for my problem?
Have you tried digging down further? I also think that sometimes fortresses can simply not have an ender portal. If it's just not there, go back to the spawn point and head in the opposite direction. There are three fortresses per world.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
I've dug all the way down to bedrock using a TC hammer, there is no fortress there at all, just an abandoned mineshaft. From above the hole I've dug, the pearl floats down the centre of the hole, from below it floats up the centre of the hole... I think the eyes are a bit lost! (To be clear, I'm not at my spawn point anymore, and have no clue where it would be. The eyes are going to an abandoned mineshaft and not a fortress structure at all, no mossy cobble, cracked bricks, or iron doors, nothing to indicate a fortress structure)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I've dug all the way down to bedrock using a TC hammer, there is no fortress there at all, just an abandoned mineshaft. From above the hole I've dug, the pearl floats down the centre of the hole, from below it floats up the centre of the hole... I think the eyes are a bit lost! (To be clear, I'm not at my spawn point anymore, and have no clue where it would be. The eyes are going to an abandoned mineshaft and not a fortress structure at all, no mossy cobble, cracked bricks, or iron doors, nothing to indicate a fortress structure)
Open the chat and type: /chunkloaders
This popup map will show chunks that are being loaded in the world. Somewhere in overworld you will see a large area of chunks(larger than the area loaded by a player) with nothing apparently loading it. This is your spawn.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Well, that was worth a shot.. I went back to my spawn using the method suggested by rhn (cool info btw, never knew that LOL) but apparently my spawn wasn't as far away as I thought it was.
I'm close enough (-500 blocks) that the eyes head back for that same spot... /sigh

Any other suggestions? If I head back to my spawn point, about how far away in the other direction should I go before I start tossing eyes again? Soo precious few pearls :(

Strill

Jul 29, 2019
Well, that was worth a shot.. I went back to my spawn using the method suggested by rhn (cool info btw, never knew that LOL) but apparently my spawn wasn't as far away as I thought it was.
I'm close enough (-500 blocks) that the eyes head back for that same spot... /sigh

Any other suggestions? If I head back to my spawn point, about how far away in the other direction should I go before I start tossing eyes again? Soo precious few pearls :(
http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Stronghold#Spawning

Lordlundar

Jul 29, 2019
Once you have enough, you can make ender seeds from Magical Crops, this takes a bit of getting to since you need to make enough weak essence and regular essence crops to make the strong infusion stone, but once you have your first ender seed you have a renewable supply of them.

A word of note on this, check the config to make sure they will spawn bonus seeds. The monster setup I configured was set to not do so. (it was also set to drastically lower the output of items from default).

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
This is what I did for more Ender pearls:

I found some Ender Lily seeds in dungeon chests rather early in the game. I planted them on dirt - growing them that way takes a very long time - then used the first Ender Pearl harvest in the TiCo smeltery to make Endstone and planted the seed on that. The chance for a second seed to drop is very low, but even so, things snowball once you've hit a certain threshold. Now I have enough seeds for a 11x11 Ender Pearl farm - though I'm content with a 9x9 because of the limited range of my harvesting golem.

Mob spawners might get you more Ender Pearls faster early and mid-game, but I like being able to just farm them with plants. I didn't have Magical Crops when I started this game, maybe it will also get you there faster.

I think I also killed an Enderman here or there.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
And could someone also say how to get out of the end? Once you get there? :D
You...you... REALLY?!
You kill the dragon and go through the portal! Also for a farm get a good TiC sword, conveyor belts (does not matter which mod) and autonomous activator, and a vacuum hopper (also a barrel or chest is reccomended) have endermen spawn and fall on the activator/conveyor belts, vacuum hopper pick up pearls/heads/trophies and output drops into chest/barrel.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I used Ominous Woods biome when I was on a server that didn't allow easy End access right at the beginning of the game. It was quite fun, I died many times trying to acquire those initial enderpearls. It was also aggravating as heck, but I think the game is most fun when I'm struggling like this. The game is often far too easy with too few moments of panic. :)

But yeah, my "go-to" routine for any early game is to get four pearls, get one ghast tear, and then make the MFR safari net to capture an enderman. With the MFR auto-spawner, that's pretty much infinite enderpearls from there. So you only need those first four, and you get those simply by being daring and hunting them down in the dark of night.

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
Much of the time normal endermen will teleport away if not killed quickly enough. Sometimes they come back, but most of the time they simply go away. This is the problem people keep complaining about when someone says "just kill endermen". They teleport away even if you're looking at their feet. If you don't have a weapon that can kill them in 2-3 hits, it's all down to luck whether or not you can kill it. Plus all the other mobs trying to kill you at the same time, the rarity of endermen spawning, and the chance of nothing dropping when you do manage to kill one.

If it's early enough in the game that you're struggling for ender pearls you often don't have a really good weapon to kill them quickly enough.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Much of the time normal endermen will teleport away if not killed quickly enough. Sometimes they come back, but most of the time they simply go away. This is the problem people keep complaining about when someone says "just kill endermen". They teleport away even if you're looking at their feet. If you don't have a weapon that can kill them in 2-3 hits, it's all down to luck whether or not you can kill it. Plus all the other mobs trying to kill you at the same time, the rarity of endermen spawning, and the chance of nothing dropping when you do manage to kill one.

If it's early enough in the game that you're struggling for ender pearls you often don't have a really good weapon to kill them quickly enough.
I haven't ever had an enderman teleport unless they get rained on, put in water, or I look at their body or head

They'll happily (angrily) stand there while I hack their knees off

EDIT: I've even done this with my fist in a pinch (40 hits, so from what you're saying they should have teleported away)

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
No idea then. I can occasionally get one to stay without teleporting, and some of them will run back to me to continue attacking, but most of the time I can't get them to stay put long enough to kill them without a really good weapon. It's been that way for as long as I've played (1.4.X).

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
No idea then. I can occasionally get one to stay without teleporting, and some of them will run back to me to continue attacking, but most of the time I can't get them to stay put long enough to kill them without a really good weapon. It's been that way for as long as I've played (1.4.X).
In my case that usually happens because I am getting pummelled by some stupid skeleton somewhere that makes be bounce around and just catch a glimpse of the torso of the Enderman. Else you can indeed just stand there and attack them.

There is also the mechanic of "staring" them down, where if you look at them and they start making that eerie noise and their head starts shaking, then you can walk right up to them as long as you don't break eye contact and fight them.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
The tricks are, make a roof with a two high gap for you to hide in (they're three high and so can't come underneath)
Get one angry at you, preferably by hitting their feet so they don't teleport, but if they do, that's alright too
In both cases, run back to underneath your roof you constructed nearby
In the case they teleported, try to find where they are (from the safety of your roof) and then lure them to your roof if needed
Then, be very VERY careful to just hit their feet (not legs, while you can hit legs, you're at risk of looking at their body, which is a nono)
And kill them before sunrise and rain (in the sunlight they teleport when damaged instead of staying put, and rain they just teleport and lose interest in you)

Nocturnes

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure why everyone is like..."Go outside and just kill endermen" ...or "What? You don't know how to return from the end?" Its a simple question with a simple answer apparently. I never been to the end, only the nether. I bought this game 2 years ago but never played that much. Now that i have, i'm enjoying it rly hard! Kinda silly that the community goes flat out that i don't know to kill the dragon to return to the overworld. Also, with a linking book your set apparently.

Anyhow, it isn't easy to go outside and just "kill some endermen". In normal MC when you stare at them and have a 5x5 platform above your head you can wack them down with 1 finger but now...they come when you stare and when you hit them in the feet or somewhere else they teleport and pfoef....nowhere to be find. They teleport away. Shitty feeling when you are in a dark place and the endermen dissapeared with 2 health.

Yet, i managed to hit 1 in extremis. Got my ender pearl and used some mimi. I now have enough and am on my way!

Thank you all for your kind help! Appreciate it!

Reactions: Padfoote

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure why everyone is like..."Go outside and just kill endermen" ...or "What? You don't know how to return from the end?" Its a simple question with a simple answer apparently. I never been to the end, only the nether. I bought this game 2 years ago but never played that much. Now that i have, i'm enjoying it rly hard! Kinda silly that the community goes flat out that i don't know to kill the dragon to return to the overworld. Also, with a linking book your set apparently.

Anyhow, it isn't easy to go outside and just "kill some endermen". In normal MC when you stare at them and have a 5x5 platform above your head you can wack them down with 1 finger but now...they come when you stare and when you hit them in the feet or somewhere else they teleport and pfoef....nowhere to be find. They teleport away. Shitty feeling when you are in a dark place and the endermen dissapeared with 2 health.

Yet, i managed to hit 1 in extremis. Got my ender pearl and used some mimi. I now have enough and am on my way!

Thank you all for your kind help! Appreciate it!

if you're a bit further in Monster, you'll be able to craft your own mimichrite, which can be very helpful for those hard to get resources

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I'm not sure why everyone is like..."Go outside and just kill endermen" ...or "What? You don't know how to return from the end?"
I find this ignorance completely understandable. Before some mods added resources that you can only get in the End, I never bothered to go there. I was happy building and exploring, why would I want to go somewhere intended to be the end of the game? I didn't even know about how to find a portal for a long time.

The only thing that got me there was End hives, which I needed for Quantum bees.

Reactions: YX33A and Padfoote