Ender Pearls

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
The End is a dimension, not the end of the game. The game doesn't end. And if you like exploring, the cool stronghold is an additional thing to explore. BYDHTTMWFI
I know, I know. But there isn't anything to explore in the End. You have this one island where the dragon sits and where you'll find everything that might be of interest sitting out in the open. Regarding the strongholds, I didn't even know that such a thing existed for a long time.

And actually, while it's not technically the end of the game, you do get closing credits when you return to the overworld, so it's more like "you'll be able to continue after the end" rather than "this is not the end". Thus, the name. Yet again, there's little reason to go there unless it's for content added by mods.

Reactions: Padfoote and rhn

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I know, I know. But there isn't anything to explore in the End. You have this one island where the dragon sits and where you'll find everything that might be of interest sitting out in the open. Regarding the strongholds, I didn't even know that such a thing existed for a long time.

And actually, while it's not technically the end of the game, you do get closing credits when you return to the overworld, so it's more like "you'll be able to continue after the end" rather than "this is not the end". Thus, the name. Yet again, there's little reason to go there unless it's for content added by mods.

Well in Vanilla I used to make big enderpearl farms there for quick XP and lots of enderpearls. That's one use at least :)

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Well in Vanilla I used to make big enderpearl farms there for quick XP and lots of enderpearls. That's one use at least :)
Yeah, but in modded Minecraft you find Ender Lily seeds in dungeons and you can make Endstone to grow them on. If it weren't for the Ender bee species, it's rather likely I still wouldn't have seen the End by now.

KollinsK

Jul 29, 2019
OK TL:DR but here are all the ways I can think of, many have been suggested, but this makes a good compilation:

Kill endermen in the overworld: I find the best way to do this is find a desert (it doesn't rain in deserts and they are usually flat with a large field of view), build a roof at least 3x3 2 blocks above your head and wait for them to spawn at night. Hitting them in the feet won't make them teleport away. Bows or flame/poison enchants will make them teleport, so pick a weapon without these.

Dark Rooms/MOB traps in the overworld: many suggestions on this already and there are a ton of ways to do this. I find a small 10x10 room with 4 MFR Grinders in the middle of an area that's been quarried out to work well enough. Areas that have been mined to bedrock have no caves or places for MOBs to spawn, so they will spawn quicker in a dark room placed in the area.
Cursed Earth: Also suggested many times. Adding Cursed Earth to the above dark room works well.

Grow Enderpearls: Ender Lilies are slow IMO, but can be found in Dungeon Chests (or in The End?) Magic Crops also has an ender plant, although it needs 4 enderpearls to make and is tedious to progress to. There are bees that can be breed to make enderpearls, but this too is tedious to progress to.

MFR Auto-Spawner: You do need 4 pearls to make a Safari Net, but this is the easiest way I know in Monster to get pearls. Placing an Auto-Spawner in the middle of your dark room noted above has the advantage that the dark room/grinders produce MOB Essence to generate the endermen.

The End: Also noted many times, the way to get to the end is to fill an end portal in a stronghold with eyes of ender and dive in. You will need up to 12 ender pearls to make eyes of ender to complete the portal. After getting to The End, you get out vanilla style by killing the Ender Dragon and using the portal that spawns at it's death point. The other good suggestion already made is to make Mystcraft Linking Books and use them. Note that if the Ender Dragon is alive, it can destroy your bookstand, so bring spare Linking Books back home when you go to The End.

Ghetto Enderman Farm in The End: Many good suggestions, many good tutorials exist. I like digging a 1 deep hole with a roof 2 blocks high and when I'm in it, I just look at endermen and slice their feet up.

Vanilla Enderman Farm in The End: Docm77's video on the JL design is very popular, although I prefer my "Enderbowl" design. These farms are easy to build with flight from mods, but they are not the most efficient way to farm endermen.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019

The End originated as the Sky Dimension and was created as an inverse dimension to the Nether. Plus you completely ignored my comment about stronghold exploration.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019

Actually achievements imply it is not the end as after defeating the dragon you have achievements relating to the wither (the beginning) and the beacon achievement.

Reactions: RedBoss

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Actually achievements imply it is not the end as after defeating the dragon you have achievements relating to the wither (the beginning) and the beacon achievement.
And unlike most games, minecraft doesn't have a story line to complete. In GTA, another sandbox game, there is a storyline you can follow or you can do non story quests or just do your own thing. Even after completing the storyline there's still quests and item collection.

Minecraft has no storyline. Its literally the never ending story in that you create it your world and plot as you go. It only ends when you want it to. Its a non-linear sandbox game. You only run out of things to do when your imagination or interest runs out.

Oh and, ender pearls are cool

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
See now, I want to go to the end (DW20 1.0.23) but for some reason, after collecting 6 ender pearls and turning them into eyes of ender, they show me to an abandoned mineshaft... That I've already explored... Once down into the shaft, the pearls start telling me the portal is above me.. I think something went wrong in the world gen...

Any ideas for my problem?
I'm not sure if it is vanilla or modded MC, but ever since 164 (atleast in DW20 and MF2) those eyes only show you where in general sense where the fortress is. They used to take you exactly to the end portal. So you need to plan to go there and explore for about an hour to find the portal room. Most of the time the path to the room doesn't even exist so know what your doing with your minimap.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure if it is vanilla or modded MC, but ever since 164 (atleast in DW20 and MF2) those eyes only show you where in general sense where the fortress is. They used to take you exactly to the end portal. So you need to plan to go there and explore for about an hour to find the portal room. Most of the time the path to the room doesn't even exist so know what your doing with your minimap.
You missed another interesting quirk, it takes you to where the stronghold SHOULD be. But if another structure generates over the stronghold, it's possible for the stronghold to be deleted, and you are just taken to an empty area with no stronghold.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
The tricks are, make a roof with a two high gap for you to hide in (they're three high and so can't come underneath)
Get one angry at you, preferably by hitting their feet so they don't teleport, but if they do, that's alright too
In both cases, run back to underneath your roof you constructed nearby
In the case they teleported, try to find where they are (from the safety of your roof) and then lure them to your roof if needed
Then, be very VERY careful to just hit their feet (not legs, while you can hit legs, you're at risk of looking at their body, which is a nono)
And kill them before sunrise and rain (in the sunlight they teleport when damaged instead of staying put, and rain they just teleport and lose interest in you)

Never thought about it, but yeah, building one of these in an open-field biome is a good place to spend your first few nights (be prepared for the other mobs obv). I def understand the importance of getting those first few enderpearls, it's always one of my biggest roadblocks during early game.

Michael280

Jul 29, 2019
I get plenty of ender pearls from my regular mob trap, I don't see the need to maximize ender pearl drops by trekking all the way to an Ominous Woods.

bMq7DDz.gif

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Just to point out how common the Better Storage Endermen can be:
FjMkS6M.png

Just stumbled upon these(it is actually raining heavily as well but these don't seem to mind), and there were another group just a large just a bit away. Might prove why people are having problems with killing endermen as these will teleport away once hit no matter what you do. So if you are equipped with a low power weapon you might as well just leave the ones wearing the green backpacks and go for the regular ones instead.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
FjMkS6M.png

Just stumbled upon these(it is actually raining heavily as well but these don't seem to mind), and there were another group just a large just a bit away. Might prove why people are having problems with killing endermen as these will teleport away once hit no matter what you do. So if you are equipped with a low power weapon you might as well just leave the ones wearing the green backpacks and go for the regular ones instead.

they all seem to look around and saying "where's the party at? I thought you said we needed to take a left at the birch tree?"
"sigh, I don't know either Jim, it's just that David said to turn left"

Niels Henriksen

Jul 29, 2019
Ghetto Enderman Farm in The End: Many good suggestions, many good tutorials exist.

On my last server I planted cursed earth in End in a cave. An Autonmus Activator was handling the killing and that gave me so many pearls so I could use them as fuel.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
if you're in the end, you'll be pretty much drowning in pearls

Agreed. My struggle/quest for Ender Pearls early game is usually the most fun / challenging. Early-game Ender Pearls are not easy to come by and are precious. The 1st one is always the best.

Early game Ender Pearls require either:
  • Luck
  • A fair amount of building
  • Patience
By the time I have between 5 and 10 (usually mid-game), they become easier to acquire, whether it's because I have much better weapons/armor and wander deserts at night, slaying all in my path, have invested in an Overworld Mob farm (that also spawns Endermen), have invested in an MFR auto-spawner, have a good amount of Ender Lilies, or because I've spent those 10 to reach The End.

MrCowle

Jul 29, 2019
FjMkS6M.png

These guys make the ender backpack from betterstorage obtainable. Basically, you gotta place an ender chest near one, and hope they pick that up, then dropping the backpack. Make sure your chest slot is open, and break it while holding shift. It should now be equipped. It shares the same inventory as an ender chest.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
These guys make the ender backpack from betterstorage obtainable. Basically, you gotta place an ender chest near one, and hope they pick that up, then dropping the backpack. Make sure your chest slot is open, and break it while holding shift. It should now be equipped. It shares the same inventory as an ender chest.
Yup, totally useless however if you have Enderstorage installed however(and default config) as you can craft the default enderchest but cannot place them in the world.[DOUBLEPOST=1403896144][/DOUBLEPOST]
Agreed. My struggle/quest for Ender Pearls early game is usually the most fun / challenging. Early-game Ender Pearls are not easy to come by and are precious. The 1st one is always the best.
Totally agree. It is one of the only resources that are still somewhat hard to get(at least to begin with) and proves a bit of challenge to get in quantity. And I like it for that. Diamonds are in great abundance now and doesn't really prove any great challenge or hurdle. So it is good that there is still the Ender Pearls that do that.

Iluvalar

Jul 29, 2019
I have a solution for you guys.

Find a magic forest and mine for diamonds around level 5. You will fine rare hives that usualy give an ender pearl when you scoop them. WIth a tico hammer and a backpack you should reliably find an ender pearl before you pack is full of stones. So it's not bad at all. And you get glowstones, diamonds, gold, lead, restone, essence ore, etc... So the trip is really worth it.

Reactions: MigukNamja

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Everyone saying Open Fields and hit their feet, and they're 3 tall you're 2 tall, do the math, etc etc, let me present my ender pearl hut.

No pictures right now because computer must charge(yay laptop and non-standard charger that can't hit the needed amperage!), but here's the idea: Make a hut. Make sure it is either accessed from below like a tower but is flush with the ground, or make sure the doors are zombie proof. Next, add windows along the sides to strike through, but make sure one can defend against skeletons and/or creepers as well. Then, staredown a enderman when you see him, look away, and wait. He'll find his way over to you, then just kill him. Add a loot collection system on the walls if needed, and bobs you're uncle, a vanilla style enderman killing room on the overworld!

I've been working on vanilla style mob killing since I realized they are all very early game.