Enchantments...

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
I don't like thinkers construct, adding slimes and creepers for no damn reason. I hate when mods add mobs with no purpose, thats why I disabled firebats.

VooJin3

Jul 29, 2019
well from my point of wiev i found few other mods that work really fine so far with ultimate mod pack just because i wanted to get rid of really tons of repeating enchants after 100 of times when i wasted so much stuff the best one working for me is enchanting plus and it really well helped me with the ton of enchants added by other mods. Well have you ever tried to get on wand of excavation the charging enchant from thaumcraft 3? I think my bad luck made me waste 8 stacks of earth shards in proces of getting it. And books arent in the league of comparing cause one full chest of wasted books is still not enough. I think many people would agree that it would be nice to see it added later on in the packs. But since it is so easily added to them that might be somewhat unnecessary for somebody but still just putting it out there for somebody unlucky with it like me.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
Several problems with books. First, it draws from the entire pool of enchants, not just appropriate to the item, second, it has, as I recall, lower 'enchantablity' than, say gold or even iron tools/weapons/armor. As far as I can tell, the idea is to have something (in vanilla) to dump your levels in, after you've actually enchanted your gear.

For me, download Enchanting Plus. Life's too short.

Cubstep12

Jul 29, 2019
I don't like thinkers construct, adding slimes and creepers for no damn reason. I hate when mods add mobs with no purpose, thats why I disabled firebats.
I was under the impression that those were added by natura, not tinkers construct. Both mods are made by the same author, mdiyo. I do apologise if this is incorrect.

Esperologist

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, yeah, the books.. I'm using 1.1.0 so for me, no books sir :p But, yeah, it's a bug and it's not intended. I THINK and MAY BE wrong, that it's for balance reasons, i mean, electric tools are unbreakable.. so.. That.
Just like to point out that it is not for balance reasons.

The charge bar is an altered use of the durability bar.
Unbreaking can cause issues with power tools. It may or may not decrease power consumption... but a power tool with unbreaking has a tendency to break when near depleted.

Some enchantments work fine, such as speed boosting... but others can cause problems. It is easier to disable enchanting, rather then find a work around.
Really, the only work around is to add a check where when an item is used and checked for durability, have it check for a separate power bar first and if it is empty (ie: doesn't actually have one or tool is drained) then hit the durability bar. But, that would take a fair amount of recoding a system that is already in place.

I'd do it for them... if I knew how to crack open the code. Only reason I don't mod is because I haven't found how to open the code up.
"Those who can, do... those who can't..."
Time for me to go teach then... :(

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
Enchanted tools were never intended. The anvil added the mechanic, and the IC2 guys didn't take it into account. It was an exploit, but it's been removed.

power crystals

Jul 29, 2019
This is where I self-promote by telling you to use an MFR autoenchanter and autodisenchanter pair to generate enchanted books for a specific item type, though disenchanting damages the item so you'll need a way to deal with that. ADE requires MFR 2.6 or higher so those of you on 1.4 still are out of luck on that one I guess.

Reactions: agaricus

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
OMG I can't believe you guys... it took powercrystals himself to tell you about auto enchanter from MFR, the machine is godly (well it was before he nerfed it) for enchanting books. I have a diamond chest full of books with several enchants on each that came from an auto enchanter (although now it only does 1 enchant per book). But the best thing is IT DOESN'T USE YOUR XP, it uses monster essence instead.

power crystals

Jul 29, 2019
To be fair the multiple enchants on one book thing was a bug. You can't do that in vanilla, and for good reason - you wind up with nonsense combinations like sharpness and fire protection.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
To be fair the multiple enchants on one book thing was a bug. You can't do that in vanilla

yes you can:

aHNpcu3.png

and its a vanilla feature:

RGHy6pS.png

power crystals

Jul 29, 2019
Wow. Somehow that feature completely escaped me (and everybody yelling about the autoenchanter doing that, who all happily claimed that was impossible). Learn something every day, I guess!

I'm still not reverting it though :p

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Can I point out that Liquid XP does the same thing and hasn't been nerfed :p (Of course, it's not in FTB though)

totte1015

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, i gave up on the enchantments for now.
I filled a diamond chest with only bad enchants and only a half filled iron chest with good ones.

Anyway, im leaving this discussion now, but ofc feel free to keep the discussion going

nyupud

Jul 29, 2019
I get my enchantment books from mystcraft. Create a single biome world of plains, eternal day, caves/fortresses/mineshafts (so that monsters don't plague libraries and treasure hills), add charge if you have stability issues, and search for chests.
I have quite a few fortune, silk touch, looting, power IV/V, infinity spells in stock. The only one I'm missing is repair, I could never find a book anywhere, and it makes me sad that my sword of the Zephyr (sharpness, looting III) still needs to be manually repaired.