Enchantments...

totte1015

Jul 29, 2019
I have done 34 enchantments on books now, all of them lvl 30 enchants.
FOUR of them is decent. Rest is utterly crap!

I even have a video showing which one is good and whom not:

Just.... what is the factor that makes some of the enchants so good and some so bad? Is it pure luck? Because then i should be hit by a lightning long ago.
This unluck is just not existent!

Damoklesz

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know why this is on the FTB forums, book enchanting is a vanilla feature, the mods only add a couple more possible enchantments. What you get is based on RNG, and nothing else. What you got there is pretty average I would say. Even in vanilla you only got about 1% for silk touch or infinity (http://www.minecraftenchantmentcalculator.com/), so don't expect miracles. Since the mods add more enchantments, I would guess that chances are even lower in FTB, but you can automate the whole process, so in the end it's still way easier to get good books.

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
What Damoklesz said, & remember if an enchant is 10% that in no way means you will get in ten tries, the % resets to its default values each try, so you would have 10 tries at 10% each time, & with the randomness of the enchant system its all down to luck or building an auto enchant system to get the enchants you require on a book from many, many automated attempts.

from past experiences with auto enchanting you will reach a stage when you will have to start voiding lower crappy enchanted books, you can only use so many for TC.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Enchanting
Ps: added the basic mc list of enchants, so you can see why some are more useful than others, then when you add in mods enchantments, there are some good topics on enchant mixing here on forums so will not bother with that, you can search for it if you are interested.

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
The thing with books is that they can only get 1 enchantment, so in a lvl 30, it first selects which kind of item (bow, weapon, tool or armor) and then from the list, it selects one. So, from the list it could select sharpness 5 or knockback 1. But there are some enchantments you will get more than others because of this (easier to get armor or weapon enchantments, followed by tools and then the bow).

With more enchantments it even harder to get what you want.

totte1015

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm alright.
The reason why i post it here rather than minecraft forums is because here people actually tries to explain stuff instead of being duches, i have alot of experience that there are 12p over at those forums.

However, i have now FILLED a golden chest with crappy enchants... Really weird since lvl 10-20ish can still have same quality as lvl 30s

Ravnen

Jul 29, 2019
I do think this belongs here, since part of the problem is the amount of additional enchants being added by the mods. I've tried in vain to get a Treasure III enchant book, but I've yet to get a single treasure enchant of any kind. The usefulness of some of the non-vanilla enchants and their probability of appearing seem disproportionate.

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
Umm.. As far as i know, this would go better in the general chat (2 reasons, first, you would get more ppl to see it, and second, it fits there pretty well.. ) but mod is ok too..[DOUBLEPOST=1369498254][/DOUBLEPOST]And as a side note, i would recommend going to the twilight, getting an uncrafting table, and using it to get the enchants you want.. You will waste less experience :)

totte1015

Jul 29, 2019
Umm.. As far as i know, this would go better in the general chat (2 reasons, first, you would get more ppl to see it, and second, it fits there pretty well.. ) but mod is ok too..[DOUBLEPOST=1369498254][/DOUBLEPOST]And as a side note, i would recommend going to the twilight, getting an uncrafting table, and using it to get the enchants you want.. You will waste less experience :)

Wait what? tell me more about this twillight, and uncraft.. Never head of it?? :O

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
Wait what? tell me more about this twillight, and uncraft.. Never head of it?? :O

Of course! First you will need to have twilight forest mod installed, i hope you have a pack that does, if not, you can install it yourself or upgrade to another pack.. Then you just need a diamond.. Go to a dirt floor and make a 4x4x1 hole, put flowers on the sides and water in the hole (like an infinite water source square) and then drop the diamond in there.. You will get hit by lighting, so be healthy when you do it (by the way, if you have a gravity gun, you can use the lighting that hits you to get it overcharged and make it even more powerful.. 2 birds one shot they said :D)

Then.. after you get in the twilight forst look for an obsidian pillar with a lapislasuli block on top, when you find it, look around and find ravens (which spawn near the pillar) kill them, get the feathers. then craft a magic map (look for the recipe in NEI) with it, explore until you find a green square in the map, its a labyrinth.. Go there and look in the chest for something called maze map focus.. the maze map focus with 8 crafting tables will give you the uncrafting table, and you are good to go (you can find the maze map focus in hollow hills.. in the magic map they will look like white hills, but the possibilities are lower, of course you can try them when you're done with labyrinth if you haven't found the focus..)

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
I think he meant how to use it for re-enchanting, what I do is, say I have a diamond pick I want to enchant with what ever, I can enchant lots of books & use the best of them on the pick, or I can enchant the pick its self & maybe get lucky with 4 good enchants or if not I can break down the pick into its components (into 2 sticks & 3 diamonds) remake the pick & try again, there maybe other ways but most of the time I just make enchanting setup & use books with TC items I mostly go with random enchants as you can get some mega enchants & the odd time add a missing one with a book.[DOUBLEPOST=1369504554][/DOUBLEPOST]
You can also find a ready-made Uncrafting Table in Hollow Hill chests. I have found two.
2! I found 9 on last map in 2 hollow hills.

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
I think he meant how to use it for re-enchanting, what I do is, say I have a diamond pick I want to enchant with what ever, I can enchant lots of books & use the best of them on the pick, or I can enchant the pick its self & maybe get lucky with 4 good enchants or if not I can break down the pick into its components (into 2 sticks & 3 diamonds) remake the pick & try again, there maybe other ways but most of the time I just make enchanting setup & use books with TC items I mostly go with random enchants as you can get some mega enchants & the odd time add a missing one with a book.[DOUBLEPOST=1369504554][/DOUBLEPOST]
2! I found 9 on last map in 2 hollow hills.

I meant that with the uncrafting table you can enchant gold picks (for the higher enchantability) and then recraft it into a diamond one, without losing the enchants.

Ravnen

Jul 29, 2019
Dammit, I just spent some hours getting an uncrafting table (first time ever I went to the Twilight Forest). And it turns out I can't use it to get the fortune (I wrote treasure earlier, my mistake) that I wanted on my drill

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
Dammit, I just spent some hours getting an uncrafting table (first time ever I went to the Twilight Forest). And it turns out I can't use it to get the fortune (I wrote treasure earlier, my mistake) that I wanted on my drill

You can't enchant a drill at all... It was just a bug on previous versions.

Ravnen

Jul 29, 2019
You still can in the most recent version of the ultimate pack, I didn't know that was a bug.
Not direct enchanting, of course, but with books. Which brings us back to the original topic.. I'd say it's fair to say it's a mod issue when certain mods make it almost impossible to get vanilla enchants. The amounts of Vorpal and Disjunction books I get is ridiculous

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, yeah, the books.. I'm using 1.1.0 so for me, no books sir :p But, yeah, it's a bug and it's not intended. I THINK and MAY BE wrong, that it's for balance reasons, i mean, electric tools are unbreakable.. so.. That.

And, yeah, vorpal and disjunction are a pain in the ass, try to use them for thaumcraft :) They're a really nice source of praecantio and cognitio.. I mean, they must be the best source :p (if you're not using knowledge fragments for cognitio, of course).

And, man.. I didn't know I remembered that stuff from thaumcraft, something's wrong in my brain xD Can't learn shit in university but i can remember 300 pokemons and now this. Damn it..

Ravnen

Jul 29, 2019
Hehe, I can relate to that.
I kind of doubt it's a bug. For example, nano sabre can't be enchanted, so why is it possible to do so with the drills? Or perhaps that's a poor line or reasoning...
I'm noticing I actually do get a lot of vanilla enchants, but by far most of them are low-level sharpness and other stuff. 2/3 of a diamond chest with books and not a single Treasure of ANY rank -.-

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
Umm, truth be told, treasure, infinity and unbreaking are the harder ones to get. If thaumcraft enabled.. you will see your first repair II after 3 stacks..