Reactions: 1SDAN

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
Citation needed (that she actually said that).
Aww what? Someone being serious? Ruins all the fun :/
Eloraam‏@TheRealEloraam
RedPower "clone/replacement" mods (copying both both function and look&feel) are in a bit of an awkward legal position.

https://twitter.com/TheRealEloraam/status/490972583299256320[DOUBLEPOST=1406057780][/DOUBLEPOST]
1) I'm fairly certain they did, but I don't feel like setting up an instance just to verify.
2) Closest thing to it: https://twitter.com/TheRealEloraam/status/490972583299256320
Ninja'd by Paddy!

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Mods are not paintings, however they are works by an artist. Should we just piss all over somebody's "rights" as an artist just because they have no legal recourse? is that the kind of community we are? Yeah, Project Red held you guys close when she was gone. If she stayed gone, it would be one thing, but she wants to try and revive her project.

There's a fine line between being a dick and not being a dick. I think we are crossing that line as a community with Eloraam in this situation.

She has no rights in this case, nothing was stolen from her, copied from her, or caused any damage to her... her thinking she does is the issue, let her revive RP good on her but she mustn't think she has any say on what the replacements do from this point on... just make RP3 better than the replacements and they'll die out naturally.

Citation needed (that RP2 redstone ever caused lighting updates).

Citation needed (that she actually said that).

Flashing redstone torch on the timer comes immediately to mind, and that did cause lighting updates to surrounding blocks

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019

Right, it's awkward because nobody really has any legal recourse, because P:Red is an obvious clone, and that she is back with her implied copyright intact that Everybody else respects with every other mod... but for some reason it's awkward with this one, because nobody wants to respect it.

We are being picky with who's copyrights we respect now as a community I guess.

Reactions: Blu_Haze and 1SDAN

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
Right, it's awkward because nobody really has any legal recourse, because P:Red is an obvious clone, and that she is back with her implied copyright intact that Everybody else respects with every other mod... but for some reason it's awkward with this one, because nobody wants to respect it.

We are being picky with who's copyrights we respect now as a community I guess.
I usually try to ignore the drama, but I've tried to unwatch this thread several times, and I just keep getting pulled back in :p
I just use the mods. I don't deal with the feuds between them.

Reactions: Narc

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
I usually try to ignore the drama, but I've tried to unwatch this thread several times, and I just keep getting pulled back in :p
I just use the mods. I don't deal with the feuds between them.

Yeah, but if you ignore a cancer it consumes the body. And some cancers can't be cured.

I mean, if we're going to say "screw you elo" to her copyright, why even have them? free IP for all. obviously exaggerated, but you know what I mean.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Yeah, but if you ignore a cancer it consumes the body. And some cancers can't be cured.

I mean, if we're going to say "screw you elo" to her copyright, why even have them? free IP for all. obviously exaggerated, but you know what I mean.

In this case, however, the "cancer" is the drama involved around this. I say let the two parties fight with each other about it, and have the community leave it the hell alone.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
In this case, however, the "cancer" is the drama involved around this. I say let the two parties fight with each other about it, and have the community leave it the hell alone.
not gonna happen, not with people in the community reading between lines with magnifying glasses, bringing it here to stir drama.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
not gonna happen, not with people in the community reading between lines with magnifying glasses, bringing it here to stir drama.

As well as the ones constantly pointing out and complaining about the drama in the community, let's not forget that.

There's always going to be people who cause drama, but complaining about the drama doesn't help anyone. Just ignore it and move on with our day.

Reactions: Narc

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
As well as the ones constantly pointing out and complaining about the drama in the community, let's not forget that.

There's always going to be people who cause drama, but complaining about the drama doesn't help anyone. Just ignore it and move on with our day.
^ this

*cough cough this thread*

Sent from my Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1SDAN and Padfoote

Fredned101

Jul 29, 2019
Clearly what Eloraam meant by "Awkward legal position" is that she is attempting to bring nuclear missiles isn't Cuba, which would within firing range of the United St a - I mean Project Red or something. Now, her motherland which is the Soviet Uni- I mean Red Power, will attempt to scare Project Red into surrendering. Project Red will then try its best to turn this Cold Wa- whoops, I meant "Drama" into a fiery legal mess.

Oh, wait...

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
/me takes a long drink of his pepsi
@midi_sec for the love of [FAVORITE DEITY HERE], don't pretend like you are the one being victimized here. The community as a whole, yes, I am not diverting blame off of myself, everyone is to blame, has blown this entirely out of proportion. Neither one of us is blameless.

neosatan

Jul 29, 2019
About 'awkward legal position'... As developer, I would say that Elo should get her 1st cup of coffee before posting anything... I have hard time to get my head around legal position of any mod. Mostly cause, most mods do live around similar ideas. For example, ic2 was the 1st mod that introduced metal doubling mechanics. Now, we have mekanism with 5x time metal output. Should team behind ic2 sue mekanism? Sounds stupid, right? Forge multipart should stop existing cause Elo released a mod back in 1.2.5 (dunno when her multiparts showed up), and was not updated for longer period of time? Should Tubes! stop existing? (hell, it's open source) When couple of devs will gather around some kind of framework (yeah, minecraft + forge is a framework) variations of the same idea will spawn all over the place. Trying to grab toys from other people just cause someone made something some time ago is just pure madness.
And now, Elo is saying that RP3 will have an API... Really? RP was written in Java, without any natives. How hard is to just look inside what your vm is doing under te hood? Well, not that hard. Forge is a good example. Just wrapping around that madness is hard. Just saying...
To conclude, seems that Elo is becoming new FlowerChild. I am having hard time to say it, but it would be better if Elo would not came back with such ideas. Community was pretty ok without her, and I think nothing would happen if Elo would stick to DOTA for time being.

Status
Not open for further replies.