Elevators in FTB

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
I am pretty sure it depends on the biome you're mining in. I have two stacks of water and earth shards, about half a stack of fire, and almost no air shards. Different people on the server end up with different combinations.

Warbird

Jul 29, 2019
Are you going for utility or look?

I'm traditionally utility > look, but each do hold a degree of importance. Not one without the other. That's why I was so keen on BTW's elevator system; it was functional and looked nice. Would there be a way to reverse engineer the systems from BTW as far as the elevators are concerned? I can't say I have any experience with Minecraft modding/coding, but it might be something I could take a stab at sometime.

What I was really attracted to in the BTW elevator system was that there was a physicality to it. You were using and manipulating a platform using a rope system and a pulley with power. Redpower offers the closest thing to this so I think I may try that given the time. Does anyone know of any elevator mods besides the ones mentioned that operate in a similar manner?

Wizaerd

Jul 29, 2019
I've been wanting to build an elevator for a while, and I just don't like the RP frames all that much. They're stuttery, even when set to 0.8 on a time, and the redrawing of the platform every block just doesn't sit well with me. And they can be fairly complex to setup and get working right. So I used the elevator tracks, very easy to implement and like them well enough.

kev12east

Jul 29, 2019
I'm traditionally utility > look, but each do hold a degree of importance. Not one without the other. That's why I was so keen on BTW's elevator system; it was functional and looked nice. Would there be a way to reverse engineer the systems from BTW as far as the elevators are concerned? I can't say I have any experience with Minecraft modding/coding, but it might be something I could take a stab at sometime.

What I was really attracted to in the BTW elevator system was that there was a physicality to it. You were using and manipulating a platform using a rope system and a pulley with power. Redpower offers the closest thing to this so I think I may try that given the time. Does anyone know of any elevator mods besides the ones mentioned that operate in a similar manner?
if you want something that looks nice, cover the frames with blocks instead of covers and though in a computer/turtle with a wireless modem/REther upgrade to contol it all

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
That gave me an idea. Frame elevator, with a turtle as a... you know those people that stand in the elevator, an you tell them which floor. A turtle as one of them. That controls the elevator.

Dafuq?

Jul 29, 2019
That gave me an idea. Frame elevator, with a turtle as a... you know those people that stand in the elevator, an you tell them which floor. A turtle as one of them. That controls the elevator.

Introducing.... the page boy turtle! I was about to say that you could do that with a normal computer, but you're right, it has to be a turtle, even if it is only for one reason: it absolutely must have one of those cute hats...

AQJ

Jul 29, 2019
Introducing.... the page boy turtle! I was about to say that you could do that with a normal computer, but you're right, it has to be a turtle, even if it is only for one reason: it absolutely must have one of those cute hats...

Golem with a Fez?

WhatGravitas

Jul 29, 2019
I've been wanting to build an elevator for a while, and I just don't like the RP frames all that much. They're stuttery, even when set to 0.8 on a time, and the redrawing of the platform every block just doesn't sit well with me. And they can be fairly complex to setup and get working right. So I used the elevator tracks, very easy to implement and like them well enough.
Also, frames are really slow for an elevator. One of the points of an elevator is being at least as fast as using a ladder - frames aren't (not a slight against frames, they're brilliant, just not the most suitable thing for this job). For small elevators (let's say 1x1 to 3x3), there's really a niche for a small dedicated mod doing elevators, perhaps using some energy.

For large cargo elevators, RP2 frames are decent, though.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Well, then we would need a redstone golem that can push buttons placed on markers or something like that.

why? they can trigger presure plates. While this would not work inside the elevator.

use barles with colored wool in them to be floor select. then tie a golem to a chest in the elvelator. Put your color (floor) choice in the chest he runs to the barrel for that steping on the preusre plate twice once there once back. Tigger your floor change after the return trip.

Dafuq?

Jul 29, 2019
why? they can trigger presure plates. While this would not work inside the elevator.

use barles with colored wool in them to be floor select. then tie a golem to a chest in the elvelator. Put your color (floor) choice in the chest he runs to the barrel for that steping on the preusre plate twice once there once back. Tigger your floor change after the return trip.

That should work, I might give it a try. I don't really need an elevator but it sounds like a fun build...

Skyguy7567

Jul 29, 2019
This is a pretty old post but I still wish to discuss. I'm currently building a city in survival SMP. It's more like a flat town, but we'll expand upwards more and more. I'm still looking for a cheap and reliable elevator way. Of course it has to be fast too. TC levitators seem a pretty good option. But they take quite some materials to build. I'm planning to stack like 4 of them vertically to make a 'elevator' with a shaft. RP takes too long. Please advise.

Infallible83

Jul 29, 2019

Your powers are impressive.

However, while reading this thread, I did have a thought which I am unable to test at work.

Has anyone tried the new Tinkers Drawbridge, I know they can go in different directions but not tried up and with a player on them.

Could be worth exploring.

Infallible

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
OpenBlocks' elevator block is a basically perfect solution as long as you don't desire a moving car. They have configable distance between blocks. You jump or hit shift to instantly move up or down to the next elevator block. They're relatively easy to make as well.

IC2 teleporters are also an alternative, but energy intensive. There's also the magnetizer, but I've found this rather cumbersome to use for its intended purpose.

There's also the Aerial Faith Plate (portalgun mod), which will launch one into the air. There are good vanilla solutions involving trip wires and pistons to handle the landing.