Elevators in FTB

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Warbird

Jul 29, 2019
Hello guys. Forgive me if this has been discussed somewhere else, but the search function didn't turn up anything relevant. I've been out of the modding scene for many months and haven't really played SMP since it was first implemented, so please look past any glaring gaps in my knowledge of either.

Some time ago I played the Better Than Wolves/Better than Buildcraft mod(s) and I enjoyed them a great deal; particularly the elevator platforms possible in the mod. I recently took up residence on a SMP FTB server and found a pretty sheer mountain with a jungle on top. Now I ask you, what would be cooler than having a platform you could raise and lower to get yourself and any visitors from your base to the ground?

Sadly from what I can gather regarding the BTW mod, the creator seems less than willing to allow his creation to be used in modpack or in almost any sense really. Is there a comparable option for an elevator in BTW? I've got a nasty itch that can only be scratched by some elevators. Also, what's up with the BTW guy(girl?) not letting people use his stuff?

Thanks!

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
You can use redpower frames to great effect to make an elevator.

Yes this is a fairly good want to do it. Add some redstone and wireless redstone to the mix to make it shine.

Or you can use TC levators also but that is more magic/sci-fi ish then mechanical.

Since you can stand on a turtle you can also use them as elevators.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Don't do the Thaumcraft Arcane Levitators unless the idea is truly precious to you. Air shards are ludicrously rare right now and you have many other uses.

Warbird

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I think the frames may best suit what I'm aiming for. I am slightly disappointed though. The platforms in BTW had a distinct "kid's dream treehouse" feel to them that I was find of. Is there any chance at all of FTB taking on BTW or is that simply not feasible/likely?

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Don't do the Thaumcraft Arcane Levitators unless the idea is truly precious to you. Air shards are ludicrously rare right now and you have many other uses.

Odd I have a ton of them from my ocean base. I got a lot of water and air shards from under my volcano base

Reactions: DanteGalileo

Dafuq?

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any chance at all of FTB taking on BTW or is that simply not feasible/likely?

Well, the problem is that the mod dev is a raging lunatic who made his mod deliberately incompatible with forge and almost any other mod, so no, BTW will never be in FTB...

Zmaster27

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah BTW in FTB is a pipe dream, in fact he goes out of his way to make things incompatible.
On topic: I would go with frames, the aforementioned railcraft elevator or maybe aerial faith plates if you wish

Scaffolding

Jul 29, 2019
I've had an easier time finding air shards looking in/around large Hollow Hills (Twilight Forest).

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I think the frames may best suit what I'm aiming for. I am slightly disappointed though. The platforms in BTW had a distinct "kid's dream treehouse" feel to them that I was find of. Is there any chance at all of FTB taking on BTW or is that simply not feasible/likely?
It's not feasible. BTW specifically changes _everything_ to be non-compatible with ANY mod.

Frames work, but they're somewhat laggy/glitchy.

The best bet is Railcraft Elevator Track, or Arcane Levitators.

Malkeus Diasporan

Jul 29, 2019
Yes this is a fairly good want to do it. Add some redstone and wireless redstone to the mix to make it shine.

Or you can use TC levators also but that is more magic/sci-fi ish then mechanical.

Since you can stand on a turtle you can also use them as elevators.

This works as a down elevator, but turtles will NOT move upwards with a player on them. They just stop and wait for you to get off. Guude was very disappointed, but he made an downavator with them anyway.

DanteGalileo

Jul 29, 2019
Odd I have a ton of them from my ocean base. I got a lot of water and air shards from under my volcano base

Yeah, I have more air shards than any other. I use them for anything that calls for a generic shard. Do most of my mining (don't do much as I have no tech mods in my current world) in the Twilight Forest.