Efficient House

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

thetravis0916

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone have a good house design that is easy to wire and has rooms for machines. If you do post and mabye a couple screen shots, works save, or even a blueprint if you have it. Mine is difficult to wire now and looks bad. Also what is the best way to move all my stuff from one house to the other. The distance I plan to build the other is like 150 blocks away. The house can also be large it doesn't have to be small. I actually prefer a large house that looks good but easy to put stuff in instead of small efficient house.

Codex

Jul 29, 2019
Portal guns are good as they allow you to travel that distance quickly... I don't have a screenie right now, else I would show you my house...

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Ender chests work really well. Just remember to pump out as fast as in.

For my machines, I place them 1 block away from the wall and just run the wires straight behind them. Half way down the line, in the wall is where my energy storage is. Power generation just outside.

My current house is 13x13 inside. Crafting and storage along 1 wall. EU powered machines along another. MJ powered machines along a 3rd. Staircases on the fourth wall.

I handle the power for the MJ machines the same. Conduit along the backs, storage in the middle of the wall, power generation behind that.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
I usually show off my wiring and piping. proudly and in your face so to say. then i place the inputs and outputs in another room or building connected with an underground pipeline.

That way i can go watch the machines do their magic, with items swooshing back and forth between destinations. And when I don't care to look at the machines i just keep out of the machine room.

madaffacca

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I used to live in a 9 by 9 trademarked design by DW20 and it was super easy to sort out every wiring/storage matters. Now I'm planning to work on a well designed house, but I don't want to start my 1.4 world until Rp2 and Xycraft come out.

chaossdragon

Jul 29, 2019
the DW20 modular 9x9 layout is very handy. each 9x9 is pretty much set up for a special function... BC, IC2, Sorting, TC3, etc etc. watch some of his letsplay on youtube.
I usualy use his methods with a twist. can squeeze 4 9x9's in a chunk and only lose 1 row of blocks, so that becomes my 'front' window wall.

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
What is a link to the house video you are talking about by DW20?
He builds 9x9s in all of his Let's Play series. So just check any of them and watch some earlier videos if you want to see him building them, although he periodically adds more to the buildings.

Basically, each room is a 9x9 square (the walls are 9x9, with 7x7 of space inside the room). Whenever he adds another room, he builds another 9x9 with one block of empty space between it and the previous room, then opens up a 3x3 hole in the connecting walls and turns it into a little short hallway.

It doesn't exactly look pretty, but it's a simple and modular design that's easy to extend and expand.

thetravis0916

Jul 29, 2019
How does the builder work and how do you give it and make the blue prints. And can you give it blueprints from a different save file.

Codex

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, you copy the blueprint directory from each save.

To use a blueprint, first you must craft an architects table. Then you have to supply it with a blueprint and highlight the area you want to make a blueprint of with landmarks. Take this blueprint and put it in a builder with a bunch of resources and supply it with buildcraft power.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
I usually hide my wiring behind a wall. Say I had a 10 x 30, there would be only 7 blocks available for placing the machines because all the wires would be behind the wall. Power running from upstairs/downstairs through a hole in the floor/ceiling

Spasticon

Jul 29, 2019
I use the 9x9 design, and add a "utilities" floor (usually below) where common functions like power generation, routing, water source, etc. all sit and just route it from room to room underneath (or above once but it works better underneath imo.

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, you copy the blueprint directory from each save.

To use a blueprint, first you must craft an architects table. Then you have to supply it with a blueprint and highlight the area you want to make a blueprint of with landmarks. Take this blueprint and put it in when builders are fixed.

Fixed.