EE2

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Lava was never a fuel for boilers

If it was it would be stupid, because then, the lava wouldn't be consumed until ages have past (...it's lava, you don't have to burn it, it's not a fuel), and it can be obtained rather easily.

Plus if covert made it a fuel in boilers which is consumed, it wouldn't make sense, because (like stated previously), you don't burn lava as a fuel.

It's was but they nerfed to less than charcoal of looping. Which in my opinion is stupid. Charcoal is easier to get in one stop shop supply than lava (now a day a nether lake just doesn't cut it for mass power needs) So why on earth is lava less powerful than charcoal?? Charcoal is cheaper to fab than sinking 24k mj and a cobble or even 20k mj if your smart use the MFR one. It like saying "oh let's nerf coal to half of a charcoal". Doesn't make sense to nerf something that is harder to come by and at the same time making the easier to come by material better. TE already have Configs to change that if you hate power looping. (MFR does too) At least Fuel is left alone cause it's could lead to the same thing and just burn Ethanol instead of Fuel whenever they get rid of that 39% fuel looping. (even though it's involve doing other things that why PC doesn't care about feedback loops)

SandGrainOne

Jul 29, 2019

If it was it would be stupid, because then, the lava wouldn't be consumed until ages have past (...it's lava, you don't have to burn it, it's not a fuel), and it can be obtained rather easily.

Plus if covert made it a fuel in boilers which is consumed, it wouldn't make sense, because (like stated previously), you don't burn lava as a fuel.

I both agree and disagree. Lava isn't fuel, but it is a hot substance and it should be possible to transfer that heat to other resources like water to make steam. Different mods could handle this in different ways, but I personally think that lava used as a heat source should be turned into Obsidian. It shouldn't simply disappear.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Lava was a fuel for boilers but only the solid fuel ones (if you want a "lore" reason solid fuel boilers would have to have waste removal systems it's just that Covert was nice enough to not have us having to clear a bunch of ash every day or so)
There are posts on here outlining peoples closed loop boiler\magma crucible\igneous extruder setups, which haven't been possible for quite a while since King Lemming nerfed the cost of lava from cobble specifically to break it.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
There are posts on here outlining peoples closed loop boiler\magma crucible\igneous extruder setups, which haven't been possible for quite a while since King Lemming nerfed the cost of lava from cobble specifically to break it.

Actually, Railcraft nerfed the amount of heat lava gives in boilers.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, Railcraft nerfed the amount of heat lava gives in boilers.
Yea no idea what's it was cause I came here after RC nerfed it but I heard it was. To less of a piece charcoal is sorta stupid. Cause I don't think I could pump out more lava under my own roof like a wood farm could.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Yea no idea what's it was cause I came here after RC nerfed it but I heard it was. To less of a piece charcoal is sorta stupid. Cause I don't think I could pump out more lava under my own roof like a wood farm could.

It's not stupid because it simply caused there to be infinite energy loops. Lava > boiler > energy > magma crucible > more lava > boiler > more energy. It was simply a cross mod exploit that got fixed.

Being able to use lava as 'fuel' is silly anyway, it's. You'd end up with the same volume of cooled down rock you'd had to get rid off.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Then I wonder why the option even still exists at 1k heat in a Solid Fueled Firebox then if burning lava is not practical and silly.

SandGrainOne

Jul 29, 2019
Hydra doesn't speak for all of us. Luckily. I personally wish there where more fuel types that created waste that we had to handle. Be it ash from coal or peat, obsidian from lava or radioactive waste from reactors. As long as we have some way of automating the processing of these materials, nothing is better than a little bit more depth.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Agreed though lava should just output Cobblestone to avoid added exploiting. As for renewable generation (like panels) those would need to require maintenance or something to balance those out since they don't produce waste.

mushroom taco

Jul 29, 2019
I both agree and disagree. Lava isn't fuel, but it is a hot substance and it should be possible to transfer that heat to other resources like water to make steam. Different mods could handle this in different ways, but I personally think that lava used as a heat source should be turned into Obsidian. It shouldn't simply disappear.
My point was if they used it that way, it would be imbalanced, because... well, lava is REALLY hot.
Agreed though lava should just output Cobblestone to avoid added exploiting. As for renewable generation (like panels) those would need to require maintenance or something to balance those out since they don't produce waste.
... why? cooled lava, in minecraft, makes obsidian.
Oh but yeah you have a point, let's just take out/nerf the igneous extruder or even the vanilla method of pouring water on lava to make it. It's just too exploitable.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
True but if your getting something else out of the lava (being power/steam) then you shouldn't get the obby.

draeath

Jul 29, 2019
He's thinking of burning bones in a hot fire. You can use that with iron ore to make steel. I've watched someone do it - a steel mill tested it and it was only a hair below what their quality-assurance checks. He did it in a clay refractory with manual bellows and a ceramic crucible. It took about 10 hours. Fired with charcoal.

That would be cool. Burn bones in a furnace to get... not sure how to name it, some intermediary... and cook that with iron ore to get steel.

Caaameron

Jul 29, 2019

You don't burn lava as fuel because its already hot enough to boil water

sks0315

Jul 29, 2019
Ash are the salts that are left over when all the carbon is burned away. You need carbon to make steel. So it doesn't make any sense that ash could be used to make steel.
Derp
Greg. Ind. Blast Furnace MAKES ash making steel, not uses...
My bad;)

SandGrainOne

Jul 29, 2019
exaaaaaaaaactlyyyyyyyy
And i was building from that point that it would be imbalanced.

Unbalanced compared to what? Making water hot doesn't create any problems in itself. The question is how much steam it produces compared to other source of heat.

I'm playing with a mod pack without any form of dimensional transportation or teleportation of resources. Getting Lava is actually more difficult for me than large quantities of charcoal and biomass. In my situation it would be natural to make lava fairly powerful compared to other things.

Mods should in my opinion be balanced for single use or use with a few recommended mods, but with the option to adjust the balance with config options for larger packs with more exploits.

Reactions: Mero

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Unbalanced compared to what? Making water hot doesn't create any problems in itself.

The problem is simply how MC/mods handle lava in the first place. It's completely unrealistic to treat it as a liquid as you would for example water. If a mod attempts to be somewhat realistic they can't use anything that uses 'liquid' lava; lava even when fully heated is very viscous. Good luck pumping that any distance, not to mention that there are probably no pumps who could handle that heat.

A much more realistic approuch would be a thermal generator you'd place on top of the lava that would consume water and produce steam (which you could then pipe to a steam engine / generator / whatever). In could then slowly turn the lava blocks nearby into obsidian. Would be more server friendly (no flowing lava) and more realistic (no lava being pumped).

Mods should in my opinion be balanced for single use or use with a few recommended mods, but with the option to adjust the balance with config options for larger packs with more exploits.

I think the latter part is very very important for FTB packs. If a mod does not supply config options to balance the power outputs between the mods in the pack I think it probably should not be added to the pack. It's important for a diverse mod ecosystem that a single mod doesn't trump all other mods in power / item generation.