Easy-To-Use ComputerCraft Support?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Couldn't you include something like this in your request for support to other mod authors? Considering most of the current open source devs(Open Computers is open source and thus one could easily spot wrong doings!) are very open minded and i do not see an issue here. The worst you can get as an answer is the one you already got from that one dev about destroying ReC waste. The only thing lost would be a little bit of time spent on the request. The gain would be compatibility with another mod, a worthy trade imo.
I am still worried about how this will make me look ("can you please implement support for RC, but only do what I have already done for CC")...

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
I am still worried about how this will make me look ("can you please implement support for RC, but only do what I have already done for CC")...
Hmm i guess there's not much i can do or say about that. I could start talking to the OC guys but i do not know if that would really help. The only thing i can say is that if i were you i wouldn't care so much about how it might look and just try it. If the response is "Fu** off" so be it. Otherwise a friendly conversation might be the result which would benefit everyone in the end.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Hmm i guess there's not much i can do or say about that. I could start talking to the OC guys but i do not know if that would really help. The only thing i can say is that if i were you i wouldn't care so much about how it might look and just try it. If the response is "Fu** off" so be it. Otherwise a friendly conversation might be the result which would benefit everyone in the end.
Where would I contact them? Most devs do not want to be contacted on MC forums, and I saw no IRC.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
IRC: esper.net
Channel: #oc
OK, I logged in, and the developer is in a time zone where they are unlikely to ever be online when I am. However, I have asked one of the others to ask him to PM me here or on MCF. I may be able to code it in myself, as I still do not want someone else doing it (further research showed that the OpenComponents code is a free-for-all in terms of what gets added).

Aarkreinsil

Jul 29, 2019
Just throwing in some questions if you don't mind:

Are you going to list the methods of your machines(peripherals) on your homepage or maybe even in the handbook? Would be much appreciated~
Oh, and does the industrial coil output an analog redstone signal right into computers, too? Or will we only be able to monitor them via direct peripheral hookups, or the usual comparator->computer setup?

Last edited:

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Just throwing in some questions if you don't mind:

Are you going to list the methods of your machines(peripherals) on your homepage or maybe even in the handbook? Would be much appreciated~
I would rather not maintain a manual list as it is easily prone to changing. Automated listing is also difficult because of the way it works; I wrote a "pool" of potential functions, and each has a class that the TileEntity must be an instance of for the method to exist on (eg getSizeInv is only valid on classes implementing IInventory, and getPower is only valid on classes extending TileEntityIOMachine). I may be able to try something.

Oh, and does the industrial coil output an analog redstone signal right into computers, too? Or will we only be able to monitor them via direct peripheral hookups, or the usual comparator->computer setup?
No, it uses a comparator.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I would rather not maintain a manual list as it is easily prone to changing. Automated listing is also difficult because of the way it works; I wrote a "pool" of potential functions, and each has a class that the TileEntity must be an instance of for the method to exist on (eg getSizeInv is only valid on classes implementing IInventory, and getPower is only valid on classes extending TileEntityIOMachine). I may be able to try something.

No, it uses a comparator.
OK, the developer of OC has contacted me and informed me how to do this. I was in fact able to piggyback it off the CC code.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
For managing to convince you that asking mod authors for things isn't necessarily a bad thing. ;)

And @Lathanael you're English is pretty much perfect. I thought it was your primary language from previous posts and from these.
Agreed. Your english is better than most "native" speakers.
3c6a5512958534bcbb69be524cf6aa3d.jpg

NegaNote

Jul 29, 2019
As someone who studies linguistics as a hobby, please do not perpetuate this. The spoken and written languages are different things. A native speaker of a language is by definition better at using the language than a non-native speaker. A non-native speaker or learner of a language usually is unnaturally formal in their writing style, whereas a native speaker is very natural and fluid in this regard, and is much more flexible in their application of the language, both in speech and in writing. Such constructs as "lol it okei" (as seen in the image) are actually internally consistent and very complex, representing a form of English that is very natural and nuanced. It is short because the person who wrote it knew at least subconsciously that it would be understood by fellow native speakers. It is NOT something to be viewed as negative, and we must realize that such constructs made by non-native speakers as portrayed in the above image are almost always consciously determined through memorization and textbook knowledge.

TL;DR: Native speakers know best about their language.

Back on topic: Yay ComputerCraft integration!

Reactions: casilleroatr

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
As someone who studies linguistics as a hobby, please do not perpetuate this. The spoken and written languages are different things. A native speaker of a language is by definition better at using the language than a non-native speaker. A non-native speaker or learner of a language usually is unnaturally formal in their writing style, whereas a native speaker is very natural and fluid in this regard, and is much more flexible in their application of the language, both in speech and in writing. Such constructs as "lol it okei" (as seen in the image) are actually internally consistent and very complex, representing a form of English that is very natural and nuanced. It is short because the person who wrote it knew at least subconsciously that it would be understood by fellow native speakers. It is NOT something to be viewed as negative, and we must realize that such constructs made by non-native speakers as portrayed in the above image are almost always consciously determined through memorization and textbook knowledge.

Studying language is pretty awesome.:)

Yay for CC! \o/

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com

I took it as poor spelling and grammar skills. Spend two minutes on any website frequented by those aged under 18 and you will see enough of it to make a linguist cry.

Anyways, I have the following functions:
Code:
   private static final LuaMethod tanks = new LuaGetTanks();
   private static final LuaMethod readTank = new LuaReadTank();
   private static final LuaMethod getSlot = new LuaGetSlot();
   private static final LuaMethod getSizeInv = new LuaInvSize();
   private static final LuaMethod printInv = new LuaPrintInv();
   private static final LuaMethod getCoords = new LuaGetCoords();
   private static final LuaMethod isFull = new LuaIsFull();
   private static final LuaMethod isTankFull = new LuaIsTankFull();
   private static final LuaMethod hasItem = new LuaHasItem();
   private static final LuaMethod getName = new LuaGetName();
   private static final LuaMethod getTemp = new LuaGetTemperature();
   private static final LuaMethod getPressure = new LuaGetPressure();
   private static final LuaMethod getPower = new LuaGetPower();
   private static final LuaMethod getPower2 = new LuaGetAPIPower();
   private static final LuaMethod getRatio = new LuaGetRatio();
   private static final LuaMethod getEnergy = new LuaGetEnergy();
   private static final LuaMethod setRatio = new LuaSetRatio();
   private static final LuaMethod setTorque = new LuaSetTorque();
   private static final LuaMethod getSpeed = new LuaSetSpeed();
   private static final LuaMethod getRange = new LuaGetRange();
   private static final LuaMethod getPipe = new LuaGetPipe();
   private static final LuaMethod setECU = new LuaSetECU();
   private static final LuaMethod addNote = new LuaAddNote();
   private static final LuaMethod clearChannel = new LuaClearChannel();
Do any others come to mind?

NegaNote

Jul 29, 2019
I suppose that's fair enough, as long as the people making those posts aren't making such mistakes in their speech ;)

Shirkit

Jul 29, 2019
Like the CC support, it should be present in v18.

Mind if you tell me how you did it, just placing some random code out there (of the CC integration), since apparently you'd only do the software engineered solution.

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
...Dispute?
Call it a friendly conversation if that is what you think it was but MoosyDoosy got the basic gist of what i meant :)
For managing to convince you that asking mod authors for things isn't necessarily a bad thing. ;)

And @Lathanael you're English is pretty much perfect. I thought it was your primary language from previous posts and from these.
Agreed. Your english is better than most "native" speakers.
<snips img>

While i know my english is pretty good for someone who's learned it in school i still sometimes lack the proper word for something(Note the use of "dispute" above). And if its a more important message what NegaNote said comes true where i sit down and have think about how i can write something so everyone is 100% certain of what i meant.
Having spent a great deal of my life with english speaking communities (and thus having to speak and write in english) has certainly helped me but i am no where near a native speaker.
Anyways i think we can leave that topic behind now and focus on what is to come:

CC/OC support for RotaryCraft blocks/machines. Does this support also carry over to ReactorCraft? Would be neat to design more complex computer systems for display of fuel status, heat, time run, time left etc :)