Easiest beginner way for RF power?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Projekt

Jul 29, 2019
Hi there, I haven't played FTB in about a year or so. I remember starting out and using a steam dynamo or something but I forgot how to connect it and all.

Can anyone help with that or an even easier method of obtaining RF?

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I hate to suggest this because I think it is one of the more cheezy aspects of ExU, but the Survivalist Generator is easy to make, and creates bajillions of RF from a single piece of coal as long as you are patient.

Reactions: Luisaguilar32

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Hi there, I haven't played FTB in about a year or so. I remember starting out and using a steam dynamo or something but I forgot how to connect it and all.

Can anyone help with that or an even easier method of obtaining RF?

I like the enderIO stirling generator for early game

KaosC57

Jul 29, 2019
I'd start with the Steam Dynamo or Stirling Generator. For the Steam Dynamo, you connect the Fluxducts to the small tiplike thing.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I use the Survivalist Generators, as someone above mentioned, primarily because I can easily convert them to Culinary Generators (they burn food items for fuel) later once I get my farm automated.

I've also used the Survivalist Generators to power a tree farm long enough to auto-produce charcoal for EnderIO Stirling Generators which then self fuel. I usually convert the SGs to CGs sooner or later, particularly if I'm running agricraft and breed my seeds to the point I can get a full stack of wheat/potatoes from a 4x4 garden for both food and fuel.

Awerick11

Jul 29, 2019
I use furnace generators and a tree farm. In my opinion that works better than survivalist gens.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
I use furnace generators and a tree farm. In my opinion that works better than survivalist gens.

This... Priority 1 for me has always been a dynamo, pulverizer, redstone furnace. Use coal until you can make a planter/harvester combo then stop using coal and use charcoal instead.
It's an easy set up, and once you get it going, your one dynamo can work the planter/harvester as well as your pulverizer and furnace until you get a better set up.

Awerick11

Jul 29, 2019
well- furnace generators are cheaper (i think) thans steam dynamos, so I use them. Other than that, it's what i do too.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
True, furnace generators are cheaper, but after you are past their usefulness, you end up clogging up an inventory slot, or just tossing it. That's why I just go for the steam dynamo first. Get the resources for a tree farm and use the excess RF to build towards other things.

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
The steam dynamos do the same thing once they're past being useful. I mean, I suppose you could throw in a bunch of augments so they output 640 rf/tick, but I'd rather just use something better than have to set up a system to keep them full of charcoal for such a minuscule amount of power (since even 2 of them couldn't hope to support my current ore processing setup, let alone power everything else, and I'm still mid-game at best.)

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
I just leave the steam dynamo in there making charcoal. No need to update/upgrade it if you are just using it for wood/charcoal.

engel

Jul 29, 2019
If you are in infinity a good late early game setup is culinary generators. Barley at 10/10/10 has my base running off of toast sandwiches. Sure there is some set up, but once it is going, it becomes an automatable source of power that I expect will last me until I am ready to start an ender quarry. Sure there are better ways to do culinary generators but this is IMO the simplest.

Reactions: Hambeau

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I still think a 3x3x3 big reactor is rather easy to make. Even beginning game.
This.
With default configs, it has more power gen and less fuel consumption than most of the other generators. I can't vouch for it on nerfed configs, but I'd imagine it's still pretty powerful.

Reactions: Awerick11

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
Definitely is. You can also put together a lower-tier generator from advanced generators fairly easily (bronze is 200rf/t per turbine) and easily upgrade it later. You even get most of the resources back from the lower tier turbines, so if you're like me you can use all that bronze for bees.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
True, furnace generators are cheaper, but after you are past their usefulness, you end up clogging up an inventory slot, or just tossing it. That's why I just go for the steam dynamo first. Get the resources for a tree farm and use the excess RF to build towards other things.

Always build the QED and 2-3 Ender-Flux Crystals, and build 7 more Furnace Generators then convert them to the 8x Furnace Generator, if you do decide to go with the Furnace Generator. You get 8x the output of one piece of fuel in there, so just one piece of charcoal could be a very efficient startup generating setup, and making a tree farm with MFR if you have access to it is even easier. It might cost redstone and gold to do so but at least it's worth the effort required to go mine up all of the resources! :D

I would never toss a Furnace Generator, at least they can be upgraded if you know how to look up recipes, mine resources, refine them, and place the end product in a crafting grid. I might even have to upgrade my 8x to a 64x generator once I get resources flowing! :D

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

lolwutgamer

Jul 29, 2019
Steam Dynamo + Automated Charcoal farm (takes a little while to build, there are tons of tutorials) works the best for me.

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
3 Survivalist Gens around a leadstone cell. Use this until I find enough yellorium to build a 3x4x5 Bigreactor with 3 fuel rods.
Run on this setup until I got all out with BR Turbines.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019

TOTALLY agree with this. But I heartily recommend a 3x3x4tall instead... because a 3x3x3 cannot fit two Rednet Ports, and having two of them installed in your reactor is critical IMO... put the two Rednet Ports atop one another on one face of your reactor, and connect them using 2 Rednet Cables. Then right click one of the Rednet Ports, select the icon with the Battery and +/-, and drag it into one of the colored slots (doesn't matter, I use the gray one) then click "Commit". Now exit out and go to the other Rednet Port, right click, select the icon for Control Rod Insertion Percentage, drag it into the same color slot you used for the Battery icon and click "Commit". Now your reactor is on auto-pilot and won't waste fuel. When you've got lots of stuff running in your base and the Reactor is called upon to output, say, 80% of it's capacity, the Rednet Ports will adjust the Control Rod Insertion to 20% (the inverse of the power output). Or, conversely, if you aren't doing anything and your Reactor is full of RF storage (0% output), the Rednet Ports will insert the Control Rods to a full 100%, effectively putting the Reactor into a "standby" mode where it uses almost zero fuel.

I'm tellin ya, the 3x3x4 is way way better than a 3x3x3 - not for the little bit extra power you get, but for those critical Rednet Ports to automate your reactor's power output and conserve your fuel. If you don't use Rednet Ports, you are guaranteed to leave your Reactor running full blast at some point, without any need for that kind of immediate power, and you are just wasting your Yellorium.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
TOTALLY agree with this. But I heartily recommend a 3x3x4tall instead... because a 3x3x3 cannot fit two Rednet Ports, and having two of them installed in your reactor is critical IMO... put the two Rednet Ports atop one another on one face of your reactor, and connect them using 2 Rednet Cables. Then right click one of the Rednet Ports, select the icon with the Battery and +/-, and drag it into one of the colored slots (doesn't matter, I use the gray one) then click "Commit". Now exit out and go to the other Rednet Port, right click, select the icon for Control Rod Insertion Percentage, drag it into the same color slot you used for the Battery icon and click "Commit". Now your reactor is on auto-pilot and won't waste fuel. When you've got lots of stuff running in your base and the Reactor is called upon to output, say, 80% of it's capacity, the Rednet Ports will adjust the Control Rod Insertion to 20% (the inverse of the power output). Or, conversely, if you aren't doing anything and your Reactor is full of RF storage (0% output), the Rednet Ports will insert the Control Rods to a full 100%, effectively putting the Reactor into a "standby" mode where it uses almost zero fuel.

I'm tellin ya, the 3x3x4 is way way better than a 3x3x3 - not for the little bit extra power you get, but for those critical Rednet Ports to automate your reactor's power output and conserve your fuel. If you don't use Rednet Ports, you are guaranteed to leave your Reactor running full blast at some point, without any need for that kind of immediate power, and you are just wasting your Yellorium.
You realize you only need a single rednet port if you invest in a rednet controller?