Early game power gen

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

yotus

Jul 29, 2019
Anything that burns coal or other solid fuel materials are usually the ones I start with, and there is one such engine in most of the mods I play with, usually.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
For early game power, all I seemed to need was a couple of buckets of lava to power my TiCo smeltery. Then again, I only played for one (real) day, so I'm talking VERY early game. But that's all I needed to start making ingots.

First thing I always do on Day One in any modpack with TiCo in it is gather 2 stacks each of clay, gravel and sand and start making Grout.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Most people seem to recommend the Extra Utilities generators but I've actually never used them. But I see them discussed all the time. However, I read yesterday that the Extra Utils mod is using an outdated RF api (or something like that) so those generators won't connect to any machines without using some conduits, which could be problematic until the ExUtil mod is updated in the pack.

Last edited:

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Interesting, I've got a smeltery up and running, just dunno where to go next I guess.

Well then my second step (I'm a creature of habit LOL) is always to use the TiCo smeltery to make enough ingots to make all the Thermal Expansion machines. However, it's been so long since I played a modpack with TE in it (been playing GregTech modpacks for months) that I seem to have forgotten what I use to power the TE machines in early game. Argh! I wouldn't consider BigReactors to be feasible yet in "early game" altho if you can make a little 3x3x3 or 3x3x4 it prob doesn't take all that much raw materials to do so. Just keep mining and TiCo'ing until you've got all the parts for a reactor, maybe? Those ExtraUtils generators seem to be everybody's "power gen" of choice in early game, just like Direwolf does in his early game videos.

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
I’m playing DW20 1.7 and for now I just go with a enderPump and a EI Woodfarm.

3 lava dynamos and 3 steam dynamos. = 640 RF/t just enough to 100% use the energy conduits.

More than enough for early energy. I’m running a Ender Quarry with it and a small AE system (1drive and a couple of storage bussed to jabba barrals.)

I now have to get something more. Big reactors got changed in DW 1.7 so it does not give so much RF then in 1.6 right?

How do you sustain it automatically now? Before I did it with a MFR Laser who gave more Yellorium than its needed to get it running full speed.

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
I’m playing DW20 1.7 and for now I just go with a enderPump and a EI Woodfarm.

3 lava dynamos and 3 steam dynamos. = 640 RF/t just enough to 100% use the energy conduits.

More than enough for early energy. I’m running a Ender Quarry with it and a small AE system (1drive and a couple of storage bussed to jabba barrals.)

I now have to get something more. Big reactors got changed in DW 1.7 so it does not give so much RF then in 1.6 right?

How do you sustain it automatically now? Before I did it with a MFR Laser who gave more Yellorium than its needed to get it running full speed.

Big reactors still gives out the same RF, but the fuel usage was increased. Now it's a bit harder to manage. I toned his nerf down to about half of what it current is, but at least enough to where I'd have to work for it. But once I get to the deep dark, and slap a speed upgrade on my ender quarry, game over. I am up to about 35-40k Uranium/Yellorium.

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
Add it in and see how it goes =)

I added hunger overhaul and that works fine.

I have it in mine, but IMO it sort of trivializes power gen. Especially since those Tier 8 panels output about 21k RF per tick. I got a 5*5*7 vibrant capacitor bank with 35 of these on top. Took a while to get there, but at least without it, it's semi more challenging ;).

Contemplating removing it myself!

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
Big reactors still gives out the same RF, but the fuel usage was increased. Now it's a bit harder to manage. I toned his nerf down to about half of what it current is, but at least enough to where I'd have to work for it. But once I get to the deep dark, and slap a speed upgrade on my ender quarry, game over. I am up to about 35-40k Uranium/Yellorium.

Well, but its not a selfsustained alone working process. That what I liked so much about the comination of a LFR Laser + Big Reactors.

+Selfsustained Power
+Spare Ores (nearly enough to not use any Quarry)
+No maintance needed
-Kind of OP since you can multiply it as often as you want to get more of everything keeping it as efficiant as it was.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
In DW20 and Infinity my first steps are Stirling ovens, multiblock storage capacitors, a SAG mill and an Alloy furnace. from EnderIO. Then I can build an automated MFR tree farm for resources and charcoal for the ovens.

If I run across a good lava source I'll make a magma generator or two, a lava pump and a collection of drums.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
In DW20 and Infinity my first steps are Stirling ovens, multiblock storage capacitors, a SAG mill and an Alloy furnace. from EnderIO. Then I can build an automated MFR tree farm for resources and charcoal for the ovens.

If I run across a good lava source I'll make a magma generator or two, a lava pump and a collection of drums.

if you choose to use sag mills in early game, mine up all the gravel you can find.
because using flint in your sag mills gives you an increased output in both the primary and secondary outputs and it also reduces the power cost of sag mills.

simply grind the gravel in the sag mill down to gravel and immediatly use it while grinding the rest of the gravel, so you'll end up with more flint.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
if you choose to use sag mills in early game, mine up all the gravel you can find.
because using flint in your sag mills gives you an increased output in both the primary and secondary outputs and it also reduces the power cost of sag mills.

simply grind the gravel in the sag mill down to gravel and immediatly use it while grinding the rest of the gravel, so you'll end up with more flint.

Yep. Why just ore-double when you can ore-double with benefits (side-ores) and increased speed? :D

NoPain9

Jul 29, 2019
I have it in mine, but IMO it sort of trivializes power gen. Especially since those Tier 8 panels output about 21k RF per tick. I got a 5*5*7 vibrant capacitor bank with 35 of these on top. Took a while to get there, but at least without it, it's semi more challenging ;).

Contemplating removing it myself!

Wait Tier 8? I thought Solar Flux only had up to 5 or 6 or something ?

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
Wait Tier 8? I thought Solar Flux only had up to 5 or 6 or something ?

I keep getting solar flux, and solar expansion mixed up. But it still kinda trivialize's power generation if the only faction stopping their generation is the day/night cycle. At least with dynamos, or boilers, or reactors, you need to actively take care of them.