Early Botania Mana Garden

Odovbold

Jul 29, 2019
This setup doesn't work any more, since the passive flowers (all those three used in these setup) will be gone after two in-game day :(

Now need to find another early game mana farm... really not want to do Endoflames...

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
Endoflames are pretty much the goto for early mana these days now.

You could try rushing Thermalillies or other runed flowers if you can make and plant passives for long enough though (or are lucky enough to find a Primal Lotus).

Master_Builder_800

Jul 29, 2019
This setup doesn't work any more, since the passive flowers (all those three used in these setup) will be gone after two in-game day :(

Now need to find another early game mana farm... really not want to do Endoflames...
whats wrong with endoflames? I've been using 3 of them, with an auto setup, and after AFKing for a bit it can supply all my early game needs for botania. If nothing else there's always the day bloom-nightbloom hybrids that don't despawn as far as i can tell

Odovbold

Jul 29, 2019
whats wrong with endoflames? I've been using 3 of them, with an auto setup, and after AFKing for a bit it can supply all my early game needs for botania. If nothing else there's always the day bloom-nightbloom hybrids that don't despawn as far as i can tell

Caveats of Passive Generation
The spectrum of Generating Flowers can be arranged in two groups, Passive and Active.
Passive Flowers are those that simply create Mana using a completely free resource, such as the sun, or water. Active Flowers require some sort of resource to transform into Mana, be it renewable or not.
At the start of a botanist's career, only very basic and rudimentary Passive Flowers are available, such as the Daybloom or Nightshade.
These flowers are required to advance on to more potent and effective Active Flowers, but they should not be relied upon aside from being a stepping stone, as all Passive Flowers will decay into a Dead Bush after three days of work.
http://botaniamod.net/lexicon.php#passiveGen

So Daybloom/Nightshare/Hydroangeas will only last for three in-game days (I'm wrong about this bit)

Don't like to do with Endoflames because it feel like doing a tree farm to generate power, I don't want MFR-like experience in Botania.

So for me Botania is changing from a early-game mod to a mid-late-game mod, will come back when I got the EnderIO tree farm/Agricraft crops farm setup.

Reactions: RedBoss

Nettehlol

Jul 29, 2019
Endoflame generation gets pretty interesting when you have no tech mods.

You can setup a Golem tree farm that plants/uses hoe/chops greatwood, plus you add Munchdews in (they generate INSANE amount of mana (f.i. one gaia spredder can't keep up with two munchdews)), or you can set up a Botania tree-farm.

Like, you can still make Hydro flowers, it is not hard to make them, as we have an option of right-clicking an empty hand and it will drop all ingredients of the last created flower/rune. Make a small petal farm and you're good to go till you have running active flower generation.

jolli86

Jul 29, 2019
I think I will be going for Endo flames early game too. After that I want to try and set up a cake farm for some kek goodness. I wont be using a tree farm to power the endo's though. I'm trying to use IE a lot in this play through as my main tech mod, so I will probably use coal coke I think.

I usually go bigger endoflame setup or thermalilly/hydro, but I am trying out new things on this play though. It should be interesting to try the cake farm lol.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Don't like to do with Endoflames because it feel like doing a tree farm to generate power, I don't want MFR-like experience in Botania..

It is possible to make an automated tree farm with only botania. Just sayin

Master_Builder_800

Jul 29, 2019
and frankly, who needs a tree farm? with the endoflames they just need something to burn, if you just feed it coal or charcoal when you need it, that's all the early game mana you'll need, unless you're playing infinity hard mode.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
and frankly, who needs a tree farm? with the endoflames they just need something to burn, if you just feed it coal or charcoal when you need it, that's all the early game mana you'll need, unless you're playing infinity hard mode.

As I've stated in other posts, 8 Endoflames is enough to keep your Portal to Alfheim open with mana left over to spare. So automating a tree farm is quite advantageous if you are looking for easy mana generation (witch was the point of the original post, was it not?)

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
The endoflames burn ANYTHING that can be used as a vanilla furnace fuel. Unless it produces a byproduct (so no lava buckets... though I think lava cells/cans would work). Blaze rods, Blaze Powder, Saplings, Forestry Peat... the list is very large, though most of those are wooden items like sticks/planks/ladders/fences/trapdoors/doors/etc. I'm planning on fueling my endoflames in a Garden of Glass modpack (Purple Garden Pack) via Blaze Powder shed naturally and collected with a hopperhock.

That said, it's not difficult to get enough mana to work with via a bit of passive spam. You can cram 61 —I think; haven't done that in a while— dayblooms into the range of one spreader and get a rather impressive mana total for not THAT much petal cost. Especially because the Petal Apothecary is a lot smarter than it used to be... you can drop a stack of seeds on it and just switch between shift-right-click-with-empty-hand and click-with-water-source to pump them out CRAZY fast. From that point you should be able to easily switch to whatever flower you want to as your primary generator.

Just look up the flower name and "automation" on Google (or yahoo, duckduckgo, altavista... anything but Bing :p). Some of them are more annoying than others, but it's possible to set-and-forget basically everything except the Rosa Arcana, Narslimmus, and Dandelifeon with a relatively simple botania/vanilla only build. Note I didn't say "small", "efficient", or "fast". Also having other mods makes some of the automation WAY easier and cheaper.

Reactions: Odovbold

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
That said, it's not difficult to get enough mana to work with via a bit of passive spam. You can cram 61 —I think; haven't done that in a while— dayblooms into the range of one spreader and get a rather impressive mana total for not THAT much petal cost.

While you could do this, with the decay mechanic, those 61 dayblooms will only last two minecraft days... counter productive.

Odovbold

Jul 29, 2019
Like, you can still make Hydro flowers, it is not hard to make them, as we have an option of right-clicking an empty hand and it will drop all ingredients of the last created flower/rune. Make a small petal farm and you're good to go till you have running active flower generation.

Especially because the Petal Apothecary is a lot smarter than it used to be... you can drop a stack of seeds on it and just switch between shift-right-click-with-empty-hand and click-with-water-source to pump them out CRAZY fast.

Hmm, I guess I can mass produce Hydroangeas, my Agricraft petal farm is almost there... Passive flowers in a chest won't decay right? :D

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
Hmm, I guess I can mass produce Hydroangeas, my Agricraft petal farm is almost there... Passive flowers in a chest won't decay right? :D
As long as they aren't planted they don't decay. This does mean a freshly made daybloom (for the sake of argument) won't stack with a daybloom that has done some work, then been broken and picked up.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
While you could do this, with the decay mechanic, those 61 dayblooms will only last two minecraft days... counter productive.
3 days actually.
https://github.com/Vazkii/Botania/b...ia/common/core/handler/ConfigHandler.java#L31
72000 ticks, at 20 ticks per second is 3,600 seconds. Which is 60 minutes. 20 Minutes a minecraft day. Note that the flower will only generate for half that time.

Which SHOULD mean a bit less than a tenth of a mana pool if you set-and-forget 61 dayblooms. But that many petals are DEAD cheap with floral fertilizer. Also I specified that you should use the mana gained to start your career by switching to an "active" flower (sorry, there are a lot of non-hydro/day/night flowers that are NOT active flowers. For instance the Narslimmus). Endoflames are popular. Thermalillies are popular in packs with pumps and flood gates. The Kekimurus is pretty good. Personally I love the entropynnium when I have alternatives to the crafty crate... But honestly "Getting started" should be "get enough mana to quit worrying about dinky amounts so you can figure out a flower that works for you".