Early Botania Mana Garden

InfinityRaider

Jul 29, 2019
Agreed, I've done testing on Agricraft plants to determine what works, and both Drums/Horn uprooted all parts of the plant. Dafomills is supposed to work on vanilla crops just fine; I suspect that Vaz hasn't gotten around to making it work with Agricraft yet.

You can still make it magical with Thaumcraft golems, though--a simple thatch/clay golem with a Harvest core, with either a line of Dafomills or a Hopperhock above to help gather the wheat.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2
In the Lexica Botanica it is mentioned that the Horn actually uproots the plants, so I've added that functionality in myself (it used to also blow away the crop sticks). I'll look into the drum though.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I'm not sure whether this is doable, but doesn't a Comparator emit a certain level of redstone pulse if placed next to a growing crop? Once the crop is fully grown the comparator should emit a signal, which you could hook up to a redstone spreader that would fire the pulse to a drum.
I just tried that; the comparator gave no signal at all regardless of the age of the crop. Also, I have confirmed that Daffomills do absolutely nothing to crops; they're only useful for moving items around. So the only way to set up a solo-Botania wheat farm that I can figure would be to just time how long it takes for most of the wheat in your farm to grow, set a Hovering Hourglass to that amount of time, and when it goes off, flood the whole field with water Vanilla-style or bang on a Drum of the Wild a bunch.

I've currently got ridiculously large Agricraft-accelerated Blood Magic wheat farm in my test world; I'll just pull wheat from that. I think there was over 100000 wheat in my DSU... I don't think I'll run out anytime soon.

I suppose a Rannuncarpus placed over a fully-grown wheat crop *might* be able to act as a sensor... maybe... I'll have to try that once I get my instance running smoothly again.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
I was thinking about this all day today.. You could go corporal if the Rannuncarpus will plant seeds like it does saplings.

2x Hopperhocks with picture framed chests, one for wheat, one for seeds.

Corporial system for the seeds to go to the Rannuncarpus via Open Crate. Yes you would need to create a hydrated/tilled block below it, but that's easy enough to do.

***DERP****Hopperhocks ignore items dropped from the crates for a time. This would allow the Rannucarpus time to pick up and place (depending on how big of a wheat farm you have going)

Granted the timing of the harvesting would have to be vanilla. Guestimate the amount of time it will take for the seeds to grow, or boost their growth with an Agricarnation to get more mature wheat than normal on a shorter cycle.

But it all falls apart if the Rannuncarpus can't plant seeds.

EDIT: Derp.. the Open Crates will also slow the Rannuncarpus' ability to pick up items just like it would a Hopperhock...

Last edited:

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I was thinking about this all day today.. You could go corporal if the Rannuncarpus will plant seeds like it does saplings.

2x Hopperhocks with picture framed chests, one for wheat, one for seeds.

Corporial system for the seeds to go to the Rannuncarpus via Open Crate. Yes you would need to create a hydrated/tilled block below it, but that's easy enough to do.

***DERP****Hopperhocks ignore items dropped from the crates for a time. This would allow the Rannucarpus time to pick up and place (depending on how big of a wheat farm you have going)

Granted the timing of the harvesting would have to be vanilla. Guestimate the amount of time it will take for the seeds to grow, or boost their growth with an Agricarnation to get more mature wheat than normal on a shorter cycle.

But it all falls apart if the Rannuncarpus can't plant seeds.

EDIT: Derp.. the Open Crates will also slow the Rannuncarpus' ability to pick up items just like it would a Hopperhock...
Botania already tweaks dispensers so they can plant seeds, so there's no need to use a Rannuncarpus at all for this. You'd just need Corporea Funnels to get the seeds into the dispensers, which is simple enough. Also, I have as yet not been able to actually get a tilled soil block under a Rannuncarpus in the first place. Tilled soil has an annoying tendency to turn into untilled dirt whenever a block is placed on top of it; it seems that this extends to Floating Rannuncarpeis as well as full blocks.

The real problem, as I've mentioned, is harvesting the wheat efficiently. I think you've hit on the only solution that doesn't introduce any other mods- make a guess as to how long it'll take, then harvest everything at once. Of course, it would be much better to harvest individual crops the moment they mature; however, I don't know of anything outside of Blood Magic, Thaumcraft, MFR, or Forestry that can do this.

Update: After some more testing, I found that a Rannuncarpus planted directly above fully mature wheat will distinguish between mature and immature crops, and thus can be used to detect when the plant is fully-grown. Once I get some serious lag issues sorted out (probably by installing Botania in a small, easily maintained pack), I'll see if I can rig a setup similar to this, using Bore-lensed spreaders or pistons to harvest the wheat crops the moment they grow. If that doesn't work, I should be able to use the Rannuncarpus to effectively count how many crops have fully grown. Once the blocks (probably cobblestone in this case) to be placed run out, the system would take this to mean that enough of the wheat has grown, and trigger some other mechanisms to harvest all the crops at once and reclaim the cobblestone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adagiovibe and ljfa

Adagiovibe

Jul 29, 2019
Update: After some more testing, I found that a Rannuncarpus planted directly above fully mature wheat will distinguish between mature and immature crops, and thus can be used to detect when the plant is fully-grown. Once I get some serious lag issues sorted out (probably by installing Botania in a small, easily maintained pack), I'll see if I can rig a setup similar to this, using Bore-lensed spreaders or pistons to harvest the wheat crops the moment they grow. If that doesn't work, I should be able to use the Rannuncarpus to effectively count how many crops have fully grown. Once the blocks (probably cobblestone in this case) to be placed run out, the system would take this to mean that enough of the wheat has grown, and trigger some other mechanisms to harvest all the crops at once and reclaim the cobblestone.

Whoa, that's brilliant. I would have never thought of placing a floating Rannucarpus above the crop itself. Good work. :)

This will be useful to me if I ever play GoG, usually in modded MC I just like to go with some simple Golemancy for my harvesting needs.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
The Rannuncarpus is a very effective block detector. But you're GOING to need to use bore lenses if you want to use it as such (and stay pure botania). Your counter idea is likely more effective, because the Rannuncarpus only places above the detected block. Pistons will almost certainly mis-orient, and the redstone block + redstone mana spreader + bore lens trick only works there because the blocks beneath the livingrock and livingwood are obsidian. In your case you'd have to continually re-place and re-till the soil.

Unless you only do the wheat in rows (which does grow faster), at which point you could space them out a bit, and use a pair of sideways-facing redstone mana spreaders to place the block, and break both of them... but the redstone wiring required as compared to the slight added efficiency seems to be a waste to me. My vanilla water-harvest wheat farms worked just fine... actually I ended up lava-roasting chests full of seeds after every harvest (I build BIG farms in vanilla for some reason). Though you could get around the "gumming up" effect by having an additional spreader with a bore lens pointing "up" the row where the redstone will be placed, causing a periodic auto-clear. Heck you could use a diluted pool loop to make the "timer" for that one... if only the bore action didn't reduce the mana in the burst :-( Having to use a comparator to refill the pool just a little bit seems to be over-engineering when the hourglass works just as well.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
The Rannuncarpus is a very effective block detector. But you're GOING to need to use bore lenses if you want to use it as such (and stay pure botania). Your counter idea is likely more effective, because the Rannuncarpus only places above the detected block. Pistons will almost certainly mis-orient, and the redstone block + redstone mana spreader + bore lens trick only works there because the blocks beneath the livingrock and livingwood are obsidian. In your case you'd have to continually re-place and re-till the soil.

Unless you only do the wheat in rows (which does grow faster), at which point you could space them out a bit, and use a pair of sideways-facing redstone mana spreaders to place the block, and break both of them... but the redstone wiring required as compared to the slight added efficiency seems to be a waste to me. My vanilla water-harvest wheat farms worked just fine... actually I ended up lava-roasting chests full of seeds after every harvest (I build BIG farms in vanilla for some reason). Though you could get around the "gumming up" effect by having an additional spreader with a bore lens pointing "up" the row where the redstone will be placed, causing a periodic auto-clear. Heck you could use a diluted pool loop to make the "timer" for that one... if only the bore action didn't reduce the mana in the burst :-( Having to use a comparator to refill the pool just a little bit seems to be over-engineering when the hourglass works just as well.
If bore-lensed spreaders can break crops (which they may not be able to- I know they don't break flowers), the most efficient solution in my mind might be as follows:
1. Rannuncarpus places a redstone block on top of a fully matured wheat crop.
2. Redstone block triggers an adjacent bore-lensed spreader aimed downward and across the middle of the crop at an angle.
3. Mana spreader fires a mana burst, which passes through the redstone block, the corner of the wheat crop, a mana detector, and into a block of obsidian.
3a. In doing so, the spreader breaks the redstone block and the wheat and triggers the detector. It does not touch any other blocks (save the obsidian).
4. Mana detector sends a signal to a dispenser and corporea funnel simultaneously, placing the seed stored in the dispenser on the farmland and requesting a new one.

If, instead, the mana burst cannot break crops, it may be possible to use a stationary piston to harvest the wheat, either by pushing the crop off of the farmland or, if that un-tills it, by moving the farmland out from under the crop. In either case, I'd still need a bore spreader to remove the redstone block. I agree with you in that trying to use a Rannuncarpus to place pistons would not probably not work very well.

Adagiovibe

Jul 29, 2019
I am pretty sure the Bore Lens will only affect solid blocks. Anything that you can walk through is not affected.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Adiaglove is correct. Looks like detecting if the blocks were placed is the way to go. Either by seeing if they're out of the chest (comparator), or by using the same technique I use in my AE-only tree farms: redstone transmission.

Honestly though, despite being an inelegant solution? I'd probably use an hourglass and just flood the wheat field when (statistically) 75% of the wheat is done growing, use a delay circuit, cut off the water, delay again, and pulse the dispensers.

KingRayRayRay

Jul 29, 2019
wle i was letting this discusion to evolve i kinda did my own setup, kinda hard to move around but basically i use a hopper line connected to a mana detector to plant the seeds every 8.5 minutes. as for the reaping, i have a redstone mana spreader set for 8 minutes that hits a drum of the wild. I just dont understand why it doesnt seem to be working on sugar cane though.

KingRayRayRay

Jul 29, 2019
i found that making a hydroeanga power plant of a sorts is actually enough to keep up with keeping the alfheim portal open, so no need to have cake eating flowers to power it. i think what ill do is use those to make a mana battery because i never have enough for personal uses now

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
i found that making a hydroeanga power plant of a sorts is actually enough to keep up with keeping the alfheim portal open, so no need to have cake eating flowers to power it. i think what ill do is use those to make a mana battery because i never have enough for personal uses now

This is still overkill, and soon to (now if you have the latest version of Botania) be a moot point as Hydreangas will be susceptible to decay.
If you have a tree farm making charcoal, 8 Endoflames will be enough to keep the portal open.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Endoflames are a very acceptable method of mana gen.

I'm waiting for someone to figure out a decent dandelifeon method for gen now that Vaz nerfed the 5x5 square tricks... that doesn't involve using 4+ of the things to make a field sizeable enough to use some of the decent "guns" or oscilators and maybe make a "set and forget" mana gen.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
This is still overkill, and soon to (now if you have the latest version of Botania) be a moot point as Hydreangas will be susceptible to decay.
If you have a tree farm making charcoal, 8 Endoflames will be enough to keep the portal open.
I am simply not updating. Nothing included since then is worth bothering with anyway.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
I am simply not updating. Nothing included since then is worth bothering with anyway.

My server is staying on Infinity 1.10.1 for now so we can have 'everlasting' dayblooms/nightblooms/hydrangias I personally think vaskii used a sledgehammer to kill a fly, but it's their mod.

HeroWing2

Jul 29, 2019
In the beginning i was angry too But when i noticed Why vaziki Did that (long Text man )
I understood that opinion.
Also is it so hard to enderquarry some deep dark strongholds to get the required amount of overgrowth Seeds
Otherwise just hook some endoflames on Ur treefarm up
I mean botania is a challange mod and i say
"challange accepted "

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Vaz just put out a decorative update, so you can now have your Daybloom motif all over your village without them decaying. :p

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
*shrug* I'm using the New Dawn build.gradle (because gradle still makes me want to hit things) and editing Botania myself to reverse nerfs and such. It's open source, and I'm not distributing it except to my server-mates (otherwise they couldn't play :p). I'm not a fan of the way Vazkii has been nerfing things. There's a creative vision, and then there's railroading. It's pretty obvious which category I think Vazkii has been falling into lately, but the mod and design are still awesome. I tweak basically every mod that crosses into my game, so it's not like Botania is special or anything either.

Also a lot of people LIKE the puny passive flowers for reasons. So while you can use them for decoration, the sledgehammer+fly analogy is apt for a number of people that I'm surprised at.

Adagiovibe

Jul 29, 2019
We have Runic Dungeons in our pack and its hilariously easy to find a substantial amount of Overgrowth seeds after a run or two. So far it has kept the people who disliked the Daybloom changes happy, so I don't feel the need to use the fork.

That way people who like using passives are still able to do so if they like using them for isolated and independent builds far away from their main mana network but at the same time they are not able to spam them like there's no tomorrow.