DW20 1.10 - Tinkers Weapons!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Hi All,

Looking for advice on best/most effective Tinkers weapons.. I'm wanting to build a really effective ranged
weapon, any tips and advice appreciated.

Also, tips and tricks people have encountered for really strong melee combos'..

Post them here!

-Wuffle!

D

dvsskunk

Cleaver was the most used weapon for me, trying to get that first enderman head. After that I made draconic weapons, and the smeltery causes a lot of lag so I don't use it for anything except manyullyn now.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Hi All,

Looking for advice on best/most effective Tinkers weapons.. I'm wanting to build a really effective ranged
weapon, any tips and advice appreciated.

Also, tips and tricks people have encountered for really strong melee combos'..

Post them here!

-Wuffle!
I really have trouble finding a best in this version of tinkers'. I am liking the shuriken with a obsidian blade, paper blade, moss, and diamond. It is up in the air on the other parts though. Forgot to put end stone on it. That would come in really handy. Just got to find a blade to go without.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
For ranged weapons so far, I've been using a long bow with Electrum limbs and obsidian plate with normal string. For the arrows I use reed arrow shafts, with feather fletching and manyullyn head. That will one shot most mobs on a full a draw. Adding some extra quartz to the arrows will increase the damage as well.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
For ranged weapons so far, I've been using a long bow with Electrum limbs and obsidian plate with normal string. For the arrows I use reed arrow shafts, with feather fletching and manyullyn head. That will one shot most mobs on a full a draw. Adding some extra quartz to the arrows will increase the damage as well.
I still haven't figured out how to craft the parts for the bow. It lists all the stuff in the manual. i don't see the part about how to craft them though. Do they require a specialized station in 1.10?

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
No, you just need the tool forge and a smeltery. But, it could be the version of TiC you have. Bows were just added back in recently. Crossbows did get a big nerf (was needed). So no more machine gun crossbow.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
If you upgrade your Tool Station to a Tool Forge, needed as far as I know for bows, you should be able to click the pattern for the desired weapon and it will show you what parts are needed.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
No, you just need the tool forge and a smeltery. But, it could be the version of TiC you have. Bows were just added back in recently. Crossbows did get a big nerf (was needed). So no more machine gun crossbow.
This might be likely. I am playing through the latest version of the DireWolf20 pack right now. I can see most the stuff is implemented. Just can't find the stencils for most the ranged weapons. Updating the mod pack now to see if it made it in yet.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I'm still doing testing and experimentation on the longbow and crossbow, and trying to get some more solid numbers because my original findings were not accurate by a long shot due to how the Test Dummy mod apparently doesn't work all that well with the longbows and crossbows anymore. Not sure why.

In general, you can make Bow Limbs which are used in both bows and crossbows. A Longbow requires two bow limbs, a plate, and a bowstring. A Crossbow requires one bow limb, a plate, a tough tool rod, and a bowstring. As of this post, the bowstring does not affect stats, regardless of what it is made of. This may change in later editions.

To the best of my experimentation, Electrum does the most bonus damage for being relatively rapid fire when used as a bow limb. The exact numbers I am still trying to hack out somewhat more reliably, but for either a longbow or a crossbow, electrum bow limb(s) seems optimal at this time. Steel will do more damage, but has significantly slower draw speed. Feel free to experiment.

The plate is going to affect not a whole lot, so make it out of whatever. Personally, for maximized speed, I go Cobalt. Sure, you can go Paper and put redstone on it if you like, but really, the output is roughly the same (10% reduction in draw speed either way). Alternately, for a more durable bow, use either Wood/Treated Wood for the Ecological trait, or use Obsidian for the Duritae property.

For the crossbow, the tough tool rod, I believe, actually does use the handle multiplier. Here, I'd go ahead and definitely use Cobalt, because of the reduced draw speed on top of a relatively decent handle multiplier. Besides, it's only material cost of 3, so it shouldn't be too expensive.

Crossbows no longer go fully automatic, however they CAN be set up 'bolt action'. Basically, when you fire an already loaded bolt, continue to hold down right-click and it'll reload for you. It's not auto-fire, but it's much more balanced.

As far as arrows go...

I did a post about this earlier, and the basic findings seem to be holding relatively true.

Fletching is going to be a trade off between accuracy and stack size. Feather fletching is most accurate, with no bonus to stack size. Slime fletching of any flavor has bonus to stack size with a cost for accuracy. Leaf has the largest bonus to stack size and largest penalty to accuracy.

As far as the shaft and head, it will depend on if you are making arrows or bolts, because some materials cannot be used in bolt heads due to construction techniques (it has to be able to be molten in a TiCo smeltery to be used as a bolt head).

For arrows, Magma Slime is actually a really good option. It's got a better damage bonus than Steel, and shouldn't be too hard to get your hands on once you get into the nether. Pick up some magma slime dirt and some magma slime saplings, and you can farm it pretty easily. Steel and Prismarine are both tied at third place for raw damage bonus. Prismarine has the jagged property, so as stack size decreases, damage increases. Steel has the bleeding effect which will work on anything that isn't instantly killed. Many is, obviously, the highest damage bonus of any head material. Also one of the hardest to obtain.

For bolts, you can't use Magma Slime or Prismarine, because they won't go in the smeltery and melt down. So basically you have Steel for cheap repairs or Many for maximum damage.

Either way, there's some interesting properties of shafts you need to be aware of:

Wood/Treated Wood. Ecological property WILL work to regenerate your arrows. Handy if you use it intermittently.
Bone has the Splintering property which has a chance(? Maybe? More testing needed) of doubling the arrow. Double damage is double fun.
Endstone basically has a flat trajectory, no more arcing ever. Projectile also effectively 'ender-teleports' to target. We're talking ray-tracing projectile here.
Blaze rod's property is 'floating'. Basically, it has a less-steep arc, but goes slower, giving long-distance targets an opportunity to get out of the way. Use Endstone instead.

So, if you want auto-repairing (albeit slowly), use Treated Wood. If you want maximum potential damage that is at least somewhat RNG dependent, use Bone. If you want ray-tracing projectiles, use Endstone.

Once you build your projectile of choice, you then have three modifiers. However, most of them will be largely irrelevant, so we'll go over what I feel are the two most important.

Nether Quartz, yes, adds Sharpness. How this affects damage is something I am still testing. But really, you may wish to experiment to see if it is even necessary. I'm betting that in most cases, probably not.

Mending Moss. Basically, Mending property, but nerfed. Mends slowly over time as long as it has XP. But hey, do this instead of wood shaft for maximum effect that still repairs itself over time.

Lapis. Yes, it affects drops. Probably not much of an issue, but there ya go.

Reinforced Plate. Yes, it does affect how rapidly your quiver depletes. This might actually be something useful. Unfortunately, without ways to stack it up high enough to get basically infinity arrows, this merely mitigates the repair problem, not negates them. Still... one or two levels of this, plus Mending... might combo well. Still in testing.

Reactions: DeathOfTime

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
This might be likely. I am playing through the latest version of the DireWolf20 pack right now. I can see most the stuff is implemented. Just can't find the stencils for most the ranged weapons. Updating the mod pack now to see if it made it in yet.

There was an update to beta Direwolf20 (v 1.2.2) yesterday (12/29) that has the new TiCo with ranged weapons included, as well as an update to Actually Additions and Extreme Reactors (the first two are there, I'm pretty sure the 3rd was ER)

Reactions: DeathOfTime