DW20 1.10 pack (latest update) Can't find Lapis.. anywhere :(

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Hi All,

Not sure what's going on at the moment, i'm digging huge mines with my TC hammer and upgraded backpack compressing all teh cobblestone/gravel nicely.

But i'm mining from level 25 down and all i'm seeing is Iron and copper, with the occasional tin and silver.

Bauxite is extremely hard to get, there's some redstone at level 10 and lower.. but Lapis..

Cannot find it anywhere.. I found some on my initial digs, but i've been doing a LOT of digging and am comming up with none.

Plenty of Diamonds - even some emeralds - which is always welcome.

But gee.. I could REALLY use some Lapis to make that greenhouse glass that Dire made.

I'm trying to keep up with his projects in between doing my own crazy things..

Anyone else on this pack struggling with Lapis?

-Wuffle!

joshwoo70

Jul 29, 2019
Hi All,

Not sure what's going on at the moment, i'm digging huge mines with my TC hammer and upgraded backpack compressing all teh cobblestone/gravel nicely.

But i'm mining from level 25 down and all i'm seeing is Iron and copper, with the occasional tin and silver.

Bauxite is extremely hard to get, there's some redstone at level 10 and lower.. but Lapis..

Cannot find it anywhere.. I found some on my initial digs, but i've been doing a LOT of digging and am comming up with none.

Plenty of Diamonds - even some emeralds - which is always welcome.

But gee.. I could REALLY use some Lapis to make that greenhouse glass that Dire made.

I'm trying to keep up with his projects in between doing my own crazy things..

Anyone else on this pack struggling with Lapis?

-Wuffle!
try level 18? thats where lapis is commonly found.

sent from a phone using tapatalk.

Reactions: WuffleFluffy

zBob

Jul 29, 2019
The deep dark is pretty easy to get to in 1.10 and the darkness no longer attacks you. Bring flight or slime boots for the initial drop in. You still need armor and good weapons to setup a safe house but after that work your way down to the diamond layer and you should be in great shape for resources. It also makes for a great place to hunt endermen if you are hard up for their pearls as well.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Thanks, i'll keep looking :)

-Wuffle!

You could also check/change the Vanilla ore spawn settings... when you create a world you can adjust several things occurring in Vanilla MC, including spawn level ranges, size of nodes and statistical chance that nodes occur.

I use this mechanic to completely remove Andesite (too much like stone texture), increase the node size of iron from 8 to 10 and bump the chances of specific lower level blocks to spawn, like gold which defaults to 2 and Lapis, which I believe defaults to 1.

To do this just use the "World Type" button (where you would set "Biomes O'Plenty" if you use it) but cycle to "Custom". Here you get 4 pages of settings you can change, from Biome size to Sea Level to whether Chasms generate or not an also the afore mentioned block generation.

Of course, this means creating a new world.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Lapis is rare, lapis has always been rare it's just that until Actually Additions came along Lapis had fuck-all use even enchanting doesn't use that much, so no-one noticed.
Mine at 11 you will get everything you need, except Bauxite and Apatite (both spawn higher Bauxite seems to be 40+ and Apatite is where it normally is think it's 60+) and by mining at 11 you will never dig into the side of a lava lake, however if you want overworld Draconic ore you need to mine below 10.

Starfang42

Jul 29, 2019
According to JEI (well technically, JER. I think...) Lapis, as well as being rare, has a unique sharp-spiked distribution, and is most common at y-level 14

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for all the advice and tips :)

Will report back after another mining session, will mine at level 11 and 14 and report back.

-Wuffle!

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Lapis is rare, lapis has always been rare it's just that until Actually Additions came along Lapis had fuck-all use even enchanting doesn't use that much, so no-one noticed.
I'm using more RFTools in this world than I have in others (Elevators rule, btw). That mod uses Lapis in machine bases and frames for nearly every machine in the mod. It eats gold and Ender Pearls in a big way too, but the power and utility of what is offered makes it worth it.

Come to think of it, I'm not even sure if DW20 included RFTools in the pack, but I felt it fair to mention that there is another Lapis-sink out there.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
IC2, back in the old days, used to be a lapis-sink as well. Remember those Lapotron Crystals? And the Lappack to carry around enough energy to go branch mining in. For that matter, Buildcraft used a fair bit, IIRC.

Ahh, those were the days. Maybe I should get a 1.2.5 pack put back together just for old time's sake.

Starfang42

Jul 29, 2019
Rftools is in.

Ender IO can be a bit of a sink if you're making enchanted books.

Biggest sink for me is usually TiCon though. Luck 3 on a tool is a bin expensive, though if memory serves not as bad as it was at one point.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using more RFTools in this world than I have in others (Elevators rule, btw). That mod uses Lapis in machine bases and frames for nearly every machine in the mod. It eats gold and Ender Pearls in a big way too, but the power and utility of what is offered makes it worth it.

Come to think of it, I'm not even sure if DW20 included RFTools in the pack, but I felt it fair to mention that there is another Lapis-sink out there.

You won't want make 30 odd machines at once in the early game where you will want to make 30 odd greenhouse glass early game. Fairly sure all the RF mods are in the DW20 pack.

IC2, back in the old days, used to be a lapis-sink as well. Remember those Lapotron Crystals? And the Lappack to carry around enough energy to go branch mining in. For that matter, Buildcraft used a fair bit, IIRC.

Ahh, those were the days. Maybe I should get a 1.2.5 pack put back together just for old time's sake.

Once again lapotron crystals are later game so post auto mining usually, and BC didn't use much mostly markers and maybe 2 or 3 machines.
I fairly recently had a 1.2.5 world and it was great, a bit sad but great, you don't realise just what we are still missing with Redpower not being around.

Rftools is in.

Ender IO can be a bit of a sink if you're making enchanted books.

Biggest sink for me is usually TiCon though. Luck 3 on a tool is a bin expensive, though if memory serves not as bad as it was at one point.

TiCo "luck" is a sink but it's a sink that rapidly pays for itself.

But ok yeah there were uses for Lapis but they were either later game or when you had access to mass mining there isn't really an early game mass mining method now, used to be you'd run your first quarry from your first diamonds mass mining is considerably later than that in the current game, though maybe the builder is early enough haven't really looked at it.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Once again lapotron crystals are later game so post auto mining usually, and BC didn't use much mostly markers and maybe 2 or 3 machines.
I fairly recently had a 1.2.5 world and it was great, a bit sad but great, you don't realise just what we are still missing with Redpower not being around.
I dunno. Between Thermal Dynamics and Bluepower, we pretty much had it all. TD's ducts was as close as anyone's gotten to the old Tube system. A worthy successor, at least. And of course Bluepower was the re-write of the RP redstone logic. Between the two, we pretty much had everything from RP2.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
I dunno. Between Thermal Dynamics and Bluepower, we pretty much had it all. TD's ducts was as close as anyone's gotten to the old Tube system. A worthy successor, at least. And of course Bluepower was the re-write of the RP redstone logic. Between the two, we pretty much had everything from RP2.

Most of the rewrites had "part" of what Redpower had, none had it all.
I mean the world gen, logic circuits, machinery, frames, tubes system, sorting, blutricity it was a cohesive whole and worked together perfectly. Even the simple things like the sickle, flax and bags were just a tiny part of the whole mod but we still haven't had all three working together that well since.
If you go back and play a 1.2.5 world you will see my meaning, you have to automate something and well looky there RP2 has all the things you'll need to build a system that will do the task for you. Another thing is if you look at other mods many of them just give you a "magic" block that does it all internally you don't have to build a process, some people like that, some don't.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Most of the rewrites had "part" of what Redpower had, none had it all.
I mean the world gen, logic circuits, machinery, frames, tubes system, sorting, blutricity it was a cohesive whole and worked together perfectly. Even the simple things like the sickle, flax and bags were just a tiny part of the whole mod but we still haven't had all three working together that well since.
I remember those days, but we apparently remember things a bit differently. Worldgen was a BAD part of RP2. Those volcanoes were annoying as hell and a PITY. Instead of Flax, we have Pam's Harvestcraft's Cotton, which works just fine as a string-growing substitute.

I will grant, the machines were pretty clever about what they did, and I'd love to build them with what we have these days (maybe put in a redstone control tab so you could invert redstone signals without needing a block and redstone torch or a NOT gate). But I'd get rid of Bluetricity entirely. The system was innovative and amazing for its day, don't get me wrong, but there was really nothing that used it other than the sorting machines and the frame movers. I'd just give the guy a break and not require the sorting machine to have energy, and be done with it. Or maybe integrate RF, I guess. Either way, most of the machines have already been duplicated. Everyone and their second cousin now has a Deployer in their mod, it seems. Same thing with block breaker.

If you go back and play a 1.2.5 world you will see my meaning, you have to automate something and well looky there RP2 has all the things you'll need to build a system that will do the task for you. Another thing is if you look at other mods many of them just give you a "magic" block that does it all internally you don't have to build a process, some people like that, some don't.
Not sure what you mean by that, the number of 'magic block' mods has sharply reduced in 1.10.2. Immersive Engineering is all about multiblocks, most of the ones people complain about haven't been updated and probably won't be... about the only 'magic block' mod left is EnderIO. Oh, and I guess Actually Additions can be considered one, I guess.

Tell ya what, Thermal Dynamics gets updated, Blue Power gets updated, I'll see what I can do about learning enough Java to go about implementing the machines.

Reactions: zBob

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
I remember those days, but we apparently remember things a bit differently. Worldgen was a BAD part of RP2. Those volcanoes were annoying as hell and a PITY. Instead of Flax, we have Pam's Harvestcraft's Cotton, which works just fine as a string-growing substitute.

I will grant, the machines were pretty clever about what they did, and I'd love to build them with what we have these days (maybe put in a redstone control tab so you could invert redstone signals without needing a block and redstone torch or a NOT gate). But I'd get rid of Bluetricity entirely. The system was innovative and amazing for its day, don't get me wrong, but there was really nothing that used it other than the sorting machines and the frame movers. I'd just give the guy a break and not require the sorting machine to have energy, and be done with it. Or maybe integrate RF, I guess. Either way, most of the machines have already been duplicated. Everyone and their second cousin now has a Deployer in their mod, it seems. Same thing with block breaker.

Not sure what you mean by that, the number of 'magic block' mods has sharply reduced in 1.10.2. Immersive Engineering is all about multiblocks, most of the ones people complain about haven't been updated and probably won't be... about the only 'magic block' mod left is EnderIO. Oh, and I guess Actually Additions can be considered one, I guess.

Tell ya what, Thermal Dynamics gets updated, Blue Power gets updated, I'll see what I can do about learning enough Java to go about implementing the machines.

I liked the volcanos, built more than one base inside one of them over the years. I still think the basalt that Eloram implemented is the closest to real basalt, I have seen some nearly that dark however most of it is considerably bluer\greyer, the texture is right though it is a very close grained mafic rock.

Magic block mods are things like farmers or the builder from rftools, a single block that does multiple actions as a single block effectively the IE multi-blocks are sort of still magic blocks they are just much larger magic blocks you still don't have any control over where or how they do the job internally that is all handled in the mod code. With redpower for say a tree farm you had to create an entire system with deployers\block breakers and I vaguely recall the best version used recycling sand to force the tree blocks where you wanted them to do the same as the farmer does when just provided with enough power, A RP frame quarry versus the RF builder, Frame Quarry - massive build project that you had to create systems for drive and for gathering, RF builder - plonk down block, set parameters, add power. As I said some do and do not like having to build systems, some prefer the plonk n' power ease I always preferred screwing around for a few hours usually mostly going... Oh FFS Y U NO WORK?? System building now seems to be more in the line of automating things, like the Botania production methods.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Magic block mods are things like farmers or the builder from rftools, a single block that does multiple actions as a single block effectively the IE multi-blocks are sort of still magic blocks they are just much larger magic blocks you still don't have any control over where or how they do the job internally that is all handled in the mod code. With redpower for say a tree farm you had to create an entire system with deployers\block breakers and I vaguely recall the best version used recycling sand to force the tree blocks where you wanted them to do the same as the farmer does when just provided with enough power, A RP frame quarry versus the RF builder, Frame Quarry - massive build project that you had to create systems for drive and for gathering, RF builder - plonk down block, set parameters, add power. As I said some do and do not like having to build systems, some prefer the plonk n' power ease I always preferred screwing around for a few hours usually mostly going... Oh FFS Y U NO WORK?? System building now seems to be more in the line of automating things, like the Botania production methods.
I think we have very different definitions of 'magic block mods'. VERY different. And I really feel that your definition is not really applicable to the things you are applying it to.

For example, IE multiblock machines don't have multiple actions as a single machine. Each machine has a single purpose. Often you need multiple machines working in tandem to achieve a goal. For example, you need the Fermentor, the Press, and the Refinery to make biodiesel, which is two 3 x 3 x 3 machines and a 3 x 5 x 3 machine, which need to get tied together somehow. That's precisely what you are touting is good about RP2, only with a larger footprint.

But if I understand what you are trying to say, you want a block that initiates a particular task, such as the Transposer or Filter pushing stuff into/out of inventories, or the Retriever which does the opposite and pulls stuff from things connected to the tubes into the inventory, or a block breaker and deployer which either places or picks up blocks; instead of a block that conducts a particular action, like chopping down a whole tree.

You want to break down what machines do by task, so it requires multiple machines working in tandem to perform a certain action. Correct?

The term 'magic block' has been bantered around quite a bit, and I think it is getting misused more and more as it becomes 'the thing to complain about' when it really isn't applicable in some of the situation it is getting used in. The definition of 'magic block' has also been shifting around to mean 'whatever I want to complain about' lately, which I don't really care for.

As a suggestion for an alternative term, try 'all-in-one machine'. For example, the Farmer machine does it all: it plants, it harvests, it politely outputs to adjacent inventory/conduit/pipe without needing to get actively pulled from and accepts input of materials similarly. It requires no planning or setup, plug and play. It doesn't just perform a single task, it effectively automates an entire action, several of them, simultaneously, with no thought or creativity on the part of the player. Which is what you dislike about EnderIO and RFTools. Am I correct?

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Well, technically speaking.. EnderIO Farm stations require a little bit of management, the really simple farming block is the one from 'Actually Additions'... it just 'works', all on its own, smart enough to not overfarm seeds, whilst leaving enough room to harvest canola. Mine's been running for a fortnight now (chunkloaded) and i've never had to fiddle with it.

I think the farming block in 'Actually Addition's actually meets the definition of 'magic block' nicely.

Personally, i'm fine with it, mine just farms canola for power.

More complex farms might present a challenge to it.

-Wuffle!