What do you think?

• No, DT and MC should remain seperated

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

highfire666

Jul 29, 2019
I know a don't starve modpack would most likely cause copyright problems, but this is purely hypothetically.

So I've been playing Don't Starve for a while now and recently even bought the DST beta to play with friends. I've seen lots of comparisons between don't starve and minecraft, but minecraft is just too forgiving in comparison. Even when playing on hard in a hardcore world.

This made me think if it would be possible to change minecraft into Don't starve. I started looking this up and saw a few 'mods', most of them just being resource packs with a little coding to just simply change the recipes.

Some things that would have to be edited:
  • World generation
  • Food system, health, sanity
  • Night, darker and no mob spawns. Walking in the night without a light source slowly kills you.
  • Tree generation, multiple steps
  • Simply punching things to get it
  • Periodic hound attacks
  • Seasons, having not enough clothing causes damage in the winter
  • Other kinds of mobs, more diversity.
  • Not being able to cross water
  • Several starter characters with different perks

For those who have played Terrafirmacraft, TFC would make a decent core for a Don't starve modpack. It already has seasons, a decent start for world generation, not being able to simply punch everything to get it, cutting trees down with one hit (sadly no multiple growth steps), decent food and health system.

TFC actually already has most of the needed scripts available, but there would still be a lot to alter and even more to create from scratch.

This is still purely hypothetically, just wondering if there are other people out there with similar thoughts.

MarkesOrelies

Jul 29, 2019
I loved DS for its hardcore nature, but one thing that bothered me was the lack of stuff to make.(this is just my opinion) This is why I like modded minecraft, TFC does indeed bring back the game to that true hardcore feel, but it cuts of content mods, which is why I play minecraft instead of DS. I may indeed just be a bit ignorant since the modding tools/ modpack tools has come along way since I played it a year ago and it may be possible to make a content-lush pack with TFC in this new day and age.
I am advertising this mod more than I should >.< but look at kawaiicrops. It is mod that allows changes to almost everything living and allows heavily customization (trees and such, not sure how it will play with TFC crops edits thou).
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/1-7-10-beta-kawaiicrops-mod.57678/

highfire666

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, in comparison to MC there's a lack of stuff to create in DS, there's a lot to do, but you're severely limited on supplies and time. The same counts for TFC, everything takes a lot of time aswell. But implementing key features from both would in my opinion create something amazing. But indeed, it shouldn't stop there,

• adding mods like thaumcraft as endgame magic
  • creating extremely difficult dungeons/setpieces like in DS
  • having waves of strong enemies coming every now and then
  • needing items to be able to revive like meat effigies which lower your health
  • destroying spider dens before they become too large (instead of a spider queen, roaming cave spiders)
  • being able to go caving at endgame with TFC mechanics
  • going to other worlds like twilight forest or nether (overhauled aswell) but having to find the portals in previous mentioned dungeons
  • keeping the TFC skills but perhaps even adding a skilltree with perks
  • the list goes on with possibilities

Also I just took a look at that mod and it would definitely be a good start, I really love those kitchen items to be honest :p

MarkesOrelies

Jul 29, 2019
Some of your ideas are definite winners if they are done and if some one writes a mod for the waves of enemies that will be absorb into a lot of other modpacks as well include the dungeons as well.
Will definite keep an eye on this for the future.

highfire666

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not too familiar with Java sadly, but making a script/mod for the waves shouldn't be that hard.

For the hounds you could spawn them out of sight of the player, like 100 blocks away, not despawnable, using the tracking mechanics of zombies +increased distance
Only spawnable between certain height levels to prevent cave spawns (lag)
With an increasing chance every day and let it check every six in game hours or so.

So four chances a day, with an increase in chance per day and amount of spawned wolves and buffs.
let's say the day after that no incoming attacks, or a very small chance.

For the spiders you could do the same, if there is a certain block (the core of the nest) in like 250 blocks away from you there's a chance some spiders will spawn there. Using the same chance mechanic, but with a larger chance for it to happen and perhaps only at night. More fully grown nests located near you, means more cave spiders that will come to attack.

oh well, some day

MarkesOrelies

Jul 29, 2019
You can increase the difference between light and darkness the same. Since you can buff the monsters a lot like +x p and attack in darkness and in the light they lose x hp and attack. Zombie Awareness already does the "break torches thing" so if you want to look at figure that out for the hounds as well.
http://www.coros.us/mods/zombieawareness
I have a lot of java knowledge, but my laziness is on another scale.