Does anyone play vannila after they try modded?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
Inventory tweaks, NEI+addons (for easy crafting), the lack of crafting tables that hold their inventory when you get out of them... there's too much to list that SHOULD be vanilla :p

Mm yes, I like the machinist's workbench (from MFR?) - I prefer that over the whole AE system!!

maskatchi

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I think playing vanilla after a lot of modded is fun, just to relax and enjoy the good old fashion minecraft where it's mainly about mining and coming up with cool redstone contraptions/building. Modded is nice to play, and I will admit I play more modded mainly because it gives you more of a direction, however vanilla makes you be more creative. For example if anyone here knows sancarn, he managed to come up with a quarry using only the wither and slimeblocks ( I think it's still wip ). But, idk just my opinion :p

Reactions: RedBoss

zbeeblebrox

Jul 29, 2019
I play modded-only when doing single player, and pretty much vanilla-only when doing SMP, just because it's so much easier to get a decent group of people together spontaneously with vanilla. Also, it's nice to play a version of Minecraft where in-game maps have a use for once :p It's really enjoyable to construct giant wall maps via slow and steady exploration, but it's so easy to forget about them when you have all these fancy map UIs in modded. As much as I adore Mapwriter (or whatever it's being called these days), nothing beats having a map literally in your hands as you travel

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
They'd screw it over though and it would only be able to store a double chest's worth of items and it won't be upgradable

I think they'd rather screw it up by adding their own glitchy versions of it and making the mod alternatives pretty much impossible to use unless they do a complete rewrite

zbeeblebrox

Jul 29, 2019
It's not in line with Mojang's philosphy to add granular changes like barrels. Vanilla has perfectly acceptable static and mobile storage solutions, and "upgrading" isn't their style. They long ago moved away from the picks-replacing-picks gameplay mentality and the concept of linear progression in general. The cheapness of most redstone devices suggests this, but I think it was really solidified when they added the piston mod to the game. That served as the template for how in-game utilities would be handled from then on: they must have uses that expand gameplay in all three areas (creative building, normal survival, and for map-making), they must not have a linear progression (sticky pistons aren't better, just different), and their expense should be nominal and never require items whose only use is for crafting. ...aside from paper. Or bricks. Or gunpowder (why has no one ever made a mod where you can place gunpowder??)

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I have used much vanilla content, but the sum total of my vanilla game time is 5 minutes of demo. I haven't played at all since I bought the game.

PhoenixSmith

Jul 29, 2019
It's not in line with Mojang's philosphy to add granular changes like barrels. Vanilla has perfectly acceptable static and mobile storage solutions, and "upgrading" isn't their style. They long ago moved away from the picks-replacing-picks gameplay mentality and the concept of linear progression in general. The cheapness of most redstone devices suggests this, but I think it was really solidified when they added the piston mod to the game. That served as the template for how in-game utilities would be handled from then on: they must have uses that expand gameplay in all three areas (creative building, normal survival, and for map-making), they must not have a linear progression (sticky pistons aren't better, just different), and their expense should be nominal and never require items whose only use is for crafting. ...aside from paper. Or bricks. Or gunpowder (why has no one ever made a mod where you can place gunpowder??)

lolz like a trail of gun powder leading to a stack of tnt, so that you can light the end and run as it sizzles down, just as the creepers kick a bit aside and prevent the explosion because of jealously? :p

SaintLucifer

Jul 29, 2019
I played vanilla for years, around the time like when X was still a minecraft youtuber, but then i tried a few mods, later small mod packs and now i kinda can't go back anymore, the lack of real content on vanilla is way too much for me to stand after being exposed to all the funny new toys that mods offer.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
For me, modded Minecraft is basically tech progression and resource gathering, where the former gives a reason for the latter. Once I had "discovered" that in modded Minecraft, it was impossible to go back. I have started up vanilla after some major releases to try it, but once I have the first hovel of shame dug out and a few branches on a mine, the lack of things to do (for me) basically overwhelms me and it's over.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
OK, I was wrong about the compass thing... I swore that on one of my vanilla servers the compass pointed to my bed (or it could have been my /home spot), I think that may have been a plugin's doing.

Also those saying plugins make it not vanilla are sort of wrong, I see it as Vanilla with a spoon and a bowl where without the plugins it's just a hunk of vanilla on a random surface.
But yeah, if you find using plugins make the game not vanilla then nearly nobody plays vanilla as the stock MC server client is just horrible from a admin control perspective.

Reactions: LivingAngryCheese

Vasa

Jul 29, 2019
Once i tried modded Minecraft and never came back to pure vanilla.
Sometimes i play on hunger/minigames server and thats all. :D

modi operandus

Jul 29, 2019
It's really hard to go back. Especially when mining. That's the biggest grind there is that is always alleviated by mods.
Although, mining aside, it is kind of fun to play vanilla and trying to figure out how to automate things. It's more and less complicated at the same time. The restrictions that vanilla has make you look at the world totally differently than in modded MC. I do tend to get bored with vanilla very quickly though.

Reactions: RedBoss