Does anybody have any info on Thermal Dynamics?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
You mean like the warp itemducts? I think just having an adjacent power cable is enough to power it; it doesn't need a special port. :p
Guess so(did not know that existed :p). But would have hoped for something a little more complex/less faceroll than a "super instant replacement pipe" :p
Think I would have personally preferred a system where you could just power regular Itemducts/fluiducts. Something along the lines of BC pipes and using various engines on them. Just connecting up RF conduits instead on these "Extraction Nodes".

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I am aware of that mod, I'm just saying TD would be a more complete package of it had unlimited throughput fluid pipes.
Plus Pressure Pipes as far as I remember (they could be different now) look ugly. Also the hand pump becomes a bit broken in conjunction with extutil drums. Pumping whole oil wells by hand feels wrong. You can do it if you have enough drums especially if you can get bedrockium.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
I am aware of that mod, I'm just saying TD would be a more complete package of it had unlimited throughput fluid pipes.
Plus Pressure Pipes as far as I remember (they could be different now) look ugly. Also the hand pump becomes a bit broken in conjunction with extutil drums. Pumping whole oil wells by hand feels wrong. You can do it if you have enough drums especially if you can get bedrockium.

Agreed. And it's not like there's no precedent within the mod itself. As you mention, it's already possible with tesseracts, and they've added unlimited energy pipes, so it doesn't seem like there should be any objections regarding balance. If anything, it would probably make sense to add unlimited fluid pipes for short runs and put some sort of throttle on the tesseract (for both fluid and energy). That should probably be a config option, to preempt the inevitable complaints :p

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I kind of think there should be a hardcore option to add a power cost for tesseracts. Of course this would be nondefault option.
That being said nerfing the tesseract isn't exactly necessary to make high outpit pipes more viable. Just make them not need enderium. Maybe signalium?

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
Nerfing Tesseracs to require power?!!!! Think about that for a minute. Tesseracs harness the teleportation essence of Endermen. This essence can be inferred to already have an integral infinite power source that fuels the teleportation ability. If anything, the Tesserac should have the ability to produce a certain amount of power if not being used to teleport items/power/liquids.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I find the EnderIO Dimensional Transceiver to be more balanced, as it has a max transfer rate on RF as well as requiring upkeep power. That said, I use the Tesseract for some purposes as well.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Nerfing Tesseracs to require power?!!!! Think about that for a minute. Tesseracs harness the teleportation essence of Endermen. This essence can be inferred to already have an integral infinite power source that fuels the teleportation ability. If anything, the Tesserac should have the ability to produce a certain amount of power if not being used to teleport items/power/liquids.
Balance before lore. As long as it's balanced, it doesn't matter how much sense it makes from a lore standpoint - I think maybe it should require power; they could just say "the energy is used to keep the chaotic energy of the void cohesive" or something.

Reactions: Bagman817

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019

I guess that makes some sort of sense... But I was thinking of a hardcore mode balance setting.
One would think bringing 2 points of time and space together would require at least some energy if not a black hole powered gravity well.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Agreed. And it's not like there's no precedent within the mod itself. As you mention, it's already possible with tesseracts, and they've added unlimited energy pipes, so it doesn't seem like there should be any objections regarding balance. If anything, it would probably make sense to add unlimited fluid pipes for short runs and put some sort of throttle on the tesseract (for both fluid and energy). That should probably be a config option, to preempt the inevitable complaints :p

I kind of think there should be a hardcore option to add a power cost for tesseracts. Of course this would be nondefault option.
That being said nerfing the tesseract isn't exactly necessary to make high outpit pipes more viable. Just make them not need enderium. Maybe signalium?

New updates out for TD. Super-Laminar ducts are in. There's a small amount of "overhead" in a sense - the duct network needs to be *full* before you reach unlimited flow.

As far as the Tesseracts, they're in sort of a "don't touch for fear of breaking" state. It's something we plan on revisiting. They could stand to be a more intricate.