Disappointed

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strill

Jul 29, 2019
I just did a bunch of calculations to determine how many Forestry fermenters and stills I'd need to power a bunch of steam boilers, then I noticed the MFR Bio-reactor, which is 10 times better than fermenters and stills. Now I'm bummed out because an interesting challenge was blown out of the water by a mod with shitty balance.

Reactions: Tylor

Strill

Jul 29, 2019
No one is forcing you to use mfr.

Options are awesome. If your project seemed fun, then do it.

And balance is subjective. Your statement about balance could apply to either mod you mention.
They both do the exact same thing except the MFR ones have no power cost, process items instantly, require no secondary inputs, and have better efficiency. They're also easier to make, and can process items that are easier to get. They're better in every possible way. There's not even an attempt at balance.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Because that's the challenge I enjoy.
So figure out how to beat MFR. Do you even know the fuel consumption vs energy output of an mfr bioreactor over a boiler?

What's the most efficient use of your fuel? Are boilers worth it? Would force engines throttled by milk be better? You have nothing but options. Explore them

Reactions: PierceSG

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
What i always say:

You play games for fun.
I usually think its more fun to do things "differently" instead of going on the beaten path.

Different/strange/niche = fun, right?

Reactions: Lonewolf187

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Edit mod -> click "minefactoryreloaded" -> click disable -> You now only have fermenters/stills as a biofuel option -> Enjoy your "challenge"

Though it makes no sense. You say you get enjoyment out of finding and using the most efficient method; isn't that what MFR gave you? I think you're lying to yourself about being so immature you can't force yourself to ignore something if it's better. You likely enjoy the challenge of creating a working machine composed of many steps of processing and many different machines to go though. Accept that and move on. Also; MFR has literally zero reason to be balanced against Forestry; period.

Strill

Jul 29, 2019
So figure out how to beat MFR. Do you even know the fuel consumption vs energy output of an mfr bioreactor over a boiler?

What's the most efficient use of your fuel? Are boilers worth it? Would force engines throttled by milk be better? You have nothing but options. Explore them

A force engine throttled by milk produces 300,000 MJ per biofuel while a steam boiler produces 145,000 to 180,000 MJ per biofuel depending on how well you stagger the fuel. However, the Steam Boiler has the advantage of being able to produce both MJs and EUs, and of being more compact, and of producing something that can be sent through a tesseract with no loss.

You can't beat MFR. It's the best simply because Biofuel is the most potent renewable fuel source, and MFR has the best way to produce it. Even if there's a better option than boilers that still won't change MFR vs Forestry.

Edit mod -> click "minefactoryreloaded" -> click disable -> You now only have fermenters/stills as a biofuel option -> Enjoy your "challenge"
I can't. I'm playing on a public server with friends.

Though it makes no sense. You say you get enjoyment out of finding and using the most efficient method; isn't that what MFR gave you? I think you're lying to yourself about being so immature you can't force yourself to ignore something if it's better. You likely enjoy the challenge of creating a working machine composed of many steps of processing and many different machines to go though. Accept that and move on.
If I wanted everything handed to me I'd be playing Equivalent Exchange 2. The challenge is the game.

If I just wanted to create convoluted Rube Goldberg Machines that require hundreds of machines and thousands of MJs to turn a Nether Portal on or off I'd do that. But I don't enjoy that.

MFR has literally zero reason to be balanced against Forestry; period.
It adapts mechanics from an another already established mod. It should therefore be balanced against those existing mechanics.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
A force engine throttled by milk produces 300,000 MJ per biofuel while a steam boiler produces 145,000 to 180,000 MJ per biofuel depending on how well you stagger the fuel. However, the Steam Boiler has the advantage of being able to produce both MJs and EUs, and of being more compact, and of producing something that can be sent through a tesseract with no loss.

You can't beat MFR. It's the best simply because Biofuel is the most potent renewable fuel source, and MFR has the best way to produce it. Even if there's a better option than boilers that still won't change MFR vs Forestry.

You can send the biofuel through tesseracts for no loss too. Steam isn't special in that way.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I can't. I'm playing on a public server with friends.

Then grow up and learn to condition yourself.

If I wanted everything handed to me I'd be playing Equivalent Exchange 2. The challenge is the game.

If you think this comes anywhere close to EE2 you're pretty hopeless. Power is not the key that unlocks everything in mods.

It adapts mechanics from an another already established mod. It should therefore be balanced against those existing mechanics.

Care to name them? MFR has been around FAR longer than forestry.

Even if it does it still has no reason to balance around it; at all.

Strill

Jul 29, 2019
Care to name them? MFR has been around FAR longer than forestry.

Biofuel was around far before the bioreactor.

Power is not the key that unlocks everything in mods.
Of course it is. You convert the power into Laser Drill ore, UU Matter, and AE autocrafting. You then use those resources to make more resource generators and get unlimited, exponentially increasing resources.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Biofuel was around far before the bioreactor.

So Forestry owns the market on it?

Really take the childish arguments elsewhere. This isn't a place for "I DID IT FIRST SO ITS MINE NO EXCEPTIONS"

Of course it is. You convert the power into Laser Drill ore, UU Matter, and AE autocrafting. You then use those resources to make more resource generators and get unlimited, exponentially increasing resources.

Resources for more resources for... more resources? If you only play to stockpile more and more piles of shit you're going to get bored fast. Though I doubt you actually enjoy that. Like I said it is far more likely you actually like the buildup to that point. That is to say the automation and creation of machines to fit a specific purpose.

But play how you like; we're not here to accommodate you and neither are the mod devs.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
Because that's the challenge I enjoy.

You need to understand that these mod packs are tailored to suit a fairly wide audience. That means there will be mods that expedite certain processes you may not personally prefer to see expedited. "Balance" is a subjective term. Modded MC is not a linear experience. You have choices to make. If you like to play by spreadsheet then focus on the mods that support that style of play and ignore the rest. You may wish to accept the fact that by insisting you like to play in the "most efficient" way possible, you are by default choosing to use the mods that require the least time and the fewest resources to set up and that produce the greatest yield. And that's a choice you're making. You solve the problem by making a different choice. Keep in mind also that in most cases, "I like to play the most efficient way possible" is dork-tongue for "I like to make frivolous entertainment sound important." Apply the appropriate gravity to the activity and make the choices that allow you to enjoy it. Save yourself the grief and shame of blaming your disappointment on mod devs and their mods. You chose to use it. Own it.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
App
They both do the exact same thing except the MFR ones have no power cost, process items instantly, require no secondary inputs, and have better efficiency. They're also easier to make, and can process items that are easier to get. They're better in every possible way. There's not even an attempt at balance.

Apparently the bio reactor was nerfed by the guy who makes it so while everyone can bash you for not being as awesome as they are, the mod dev seemed to agree with you.

I'm curious, what type of players do you play with? Are they like mine, who said gregtech digital chests are "lame" because DSUs (also mfr!) are cheaper? I think it's easier to relax and build for fun if your co-players aren't competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.