Direwolf20 1.4.1 - Best illuminating options?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Cisco78

Jul 29, 2019
Heyas,

I've got a small FTB DW20 server going and we are struggling with large scale lighting. We've been using Immersive Engineering powered lanterns and floodlights for our surface area but are kinda at a loss for what else we can use, especially for our large underground area. I like the floodlights, but would prefer another option if available. We've got too many torches down and anything to reduce them would be great. We obviously have glowstone and the Rftools environmental controller, but large light sources seem to be lacking in this pack, unless I'm missing them.

Part of this is old habits as we are so used to wrath lamps and Thaumcraft lamps, which aren't in this pack.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
As you noted, large light sources are pretty much nonexistent, bar the lanterns and floodlights you've already mentioned.

Actually additions does have Lamps which are pretty straightforward to make and use. They can be switched on and off with a right click, and are slightly cheaper than vanilla redstone lamps to make in terms of glowstone at 4 blocks for 6 lamps. But, they have another nifty functionality - when in contact with a lamp controller, that lamp and all other lamps touching that one can be controlled by redstone. I believe that effect spreads, so all connected lamps turn on, but I may be wrong, it may just be the ones touching the one adjacent to the controller. Citation needed ;)

Reactions: Cisco78

Cisco78

Jul 29, 2019
As you noted, large light sources are pretty much nonexistent, bar the lanterns and floodlights you've already mentioned.

Actually additions does have Lamps which are pretty straightforward to make and use. They can be switched on and off with a right click, and are slightly cheaper than vanilla redstone lamps to make in terms of glowstone at 4 blocks for 6 lamps. But, they have another nifty functionality - when in contact with a lamp controller, that lamp and all other lamps touching that one can be controlled by redstone. I believe that effect spreads, so all connected lamps turn on, but I may be wrong, it may just be the ones touching the one adjacent to the controller. Citation needed ;)

Thanks much! I hadn't looked at those. Flood lights are cool, I'm just concerned too many will create issues. The powered lanterns are awesome but don't give enough light.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
You can use Ender IO painter to make glowstone blocks look like the flooring and walls. My favorite method for large areas that I don't want lamps or torches in.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Another option is Chisel & Bits. Set the chisel to plane mode, chisel an entire block of glowstone. Wack two layers off of a block you want turn into a light source. Switch to the glowstone in plane mode and place a plane of glowstone then cover with a plane of the original block.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Another option is Chisel & Bits. Set the chisel to plane mode, chisel an entire block of glowstone. Wack two layers off of a block you want turn into a light source. Switch to the glowstone in plane mode and place a plane of glowstone then cover with a plane of the original block.
Does that work??? I didn't realise glowstone kept its properties when chiselled! Awesome :D

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I've seen streamers use a single bit-wide row of glowstone beneath a bit of carpet for illumination, but that may have been the 1.7.10 version.