Decent Armor Mod?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

mushroom taco

Jul 29, 2019
Yup. It will. But casting Armor is fair. We can't do this to make minecraft items in game

*coughterrafirmacraft*

Hey, that just gave me an idea... A heavily modified tinkers construct that goes with terrafirmacraft!
Yknow, without smelteries and casting n' alla that

Reactions: PeggleFrank

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
I guess TiC armours will be made of the same materials as the weapons and tools (with manyullyn the presumed best)?

What i'm most interested in is what kind of upgrade i'll be able to give my TiC armour.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Didn't Dartcraft get toned WAY down in the last release? Like way down and everything got otherwise harder to do? Personally, I think Dartcraft is one of the few mods with balanced flight!
I will agree that it is the most balanced form of flight I've seen. I'm just a bit concerned about everything else, particularly the loot bags. Dart has made it clear that if mod packs disable the loot bags by default, he will remove the setting.

I'll go ahead and start testing with it. But I really hope that the TiCo armor will be out Soon(tm).

InfamousAsHell

Jul 29, 2019
I will agree that it is the most balanced form of flight I've seen. I'm just a bit concerned about everything else, particularly the loot bags. Dart has made it clear that if mod packs disable the loot bags by default, he will remove the setting.

I'll go ahead and start testing with it. But I really hope that the TiCo armor will be out Soon(tm).
Thing about Dartcraft is that bluedart has deliberately given everything a config option. So if you have the time to go through it you can tweak everything that seems unbalanced. Also I believe that the 1.6 version of Dartcraft makes spoils bags a lot rarer.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Thing about Dartcraft is that bluedart has deliberately given everything a config option. So if you have the time to go through it you can tweak everything that seems unbalanced. Also I believe that the 1.6 version of Dartcraft makes spoils bags a lot rarer.
Making a config option then threatening to remove it if it is used is counter-productive and not a mark in the mod's favor.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I can't remember what is in ShneekeyCraft, I haven't opened the ATLauncher in a bit, but I know Thaumcraft and Ars Magica add some pretty decent armor, and require quite a bit of work to get. Ars Magica armor repairs itself, is tiered (I think there are three tiers), and you can never take fall damage due to slowing down before you hit the ground. It also looks completely badass. Neither of those mods add NO MOAR DAMAGE 4 ME armor, but some pretty good armor.

Reactions: the_j485

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I can't remember what is in ShneekeyCraft, I haven't opened the ATLauncher in a bit, but I know Thaumcraft and Ars Magica add some pretty decent armor, and require quite a bit of work to get. Ars Magica armor repairs itself, is tiered (I think there are three tiers), and you can never take fall damage due to slowing down before you hit the ground. It also looks completely badass. Neither of those mods add NO MOAR DAMAGE 4 ME armor, but some pretty good armor.
Ars Magika is not in ShneekeyCraft, and Thaumcraft hasn't updated to 1.6.2 yet. I am planning on including Thaumcraft as an 'optional' mod, along with Magic Bees and Thaumic Tinkerer. But they will be optional because they tend to be resource-intensive, and I'm trying to maintain a low-resource mod pack.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Ars Magika is not in ShneekeyCraft
In case you decide to add it, here's a warning: It's a pain in the ass to install most times. Sometimes it's fine, but usually not. It adds item IDs that exist in the mod, but not NEI, and it uses random IDs (500-600, 2000-3000 jumps). It's enough fun that I recommend adding it, but just a fair warning. I know of a few mods that it has conflicts with, but probably not what is in ShneekeyCraft (Mekanism, Herblore, TE, etc).

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Also, Thaumic Tinkerer adds some nice armor. Haven't gotten it researched myself yet, but playing with ones cheated in, it's pretty awesome for a mage.

I'd call Thaumcraft a recommended, not necessary. But if you've got TC, you definitely want TT.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
You know, after a while you just have to learn to ignore the people whining about things being OP. I'd much rather something be fun, than worry about some mythical 'balance' which is different from person to person and is altered drastically by every mod. When it comes to balancing mods, you have to go at them with one of two mindsets: Balance vs. Vanilla, or Balance vs. Specific Mod.

Balance vs. Vanilla, only works if it's the only mod installed. Buildcraft is balanced vs. Vanilla, and it does it's job. It automates furnaces, and mining. (And construction, but that's split into two things covered by the those two, time and tedium.) And alone in vanilla, it's perfectly fine. It does it's job exactly as intended without any problems. Once you add another mod, such as TE, or ABO, the balance changes and it's arguably stronger than the basic mod, because now you can smelt and carry the power around. There's no longer a need to make space and set up engines and the support network on site, so now you can go anywhere with a tesseract, a redstone energy cell and a quarry and set up a mine instantly. Plunk, plunk, plunk, and the quarry takes off, mining along with no more interaction. Is it still balanced? Maybe, maybe not.

Balance vs. Specific Mod however, assumes you have the mod it's balanced against. For example, Gravisuite. It introduced the Advanced Electric Jetpack as a stepping stone between the Jetpack and the Gravitation Suit. It is predicated you having and using the ore doubling capabilities of IC2 to get the resources necessary to build it. But what if you want it and don't want to build the IC2 infrastructure? Guess what? You don't need it. For all the reliance on IC2, you need only a few items from it. Forget building all that power, you can just build an MFSU, skipping the whole chain, and plug it into a Railcraft Steam Turbine. It charges the MFSU, and then throttles down and all the steam goes into Industrial Steam Engines. You need IC2 only to ensure the game doesn't crash and to build a single MFSU to charge your AEJ. No other infrastructure is necessary. (Yes, you need the IC2 components added, but since they're only built in the quantities necessary to construct the AEJ, you're not keeping them around.) If all you're doing is getting an AEJ, is that overpowered for an otherwise vanilla universe? Absolutely. Is it frustratingly expensive using only vanilla furnace smelting? Definitely. Does the prescence or lack of a mod affect balance? Absolutely.

So before you scream: This is OP!!! Look for the balance. Is it Vanilla or Mod balanced? If it's vanilla balanced, play with just vanilla and the mod. If it's mod balanced, play with just it and the mod it's balanced against. And stop telling the rest of us what we should think please. We're capable of making our own decisions.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
You can make your MPS suit as strong/weak as you want, based on the level of 'challenge' you're trying to obtain. I think that is about the only way a mod can go and still target more than a small slice of the playerbase. The regular mobs in minecraft are trivial, the boss mobs don't roam so you never have to fight them until you're ready to. Armor becomes more of a fast-travel/convenience item than needed protection, at least for the experienced FTB player.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
So after my some what out of place rant, I do admit that the Loot bags, while awesome in design, are worse implemented than the alter or dungeon chests. I should not kill a zombie and get 4 UU-matter out of it. (Not that I'm going to give it back. :p)

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
For Dartcraft's loot bags, how common are some things? I've seen a couple portal guns from them, total for my playing time. And I've never seen UU matter or nether stars.

I'll admit they can be easy to get, but most of the time I don't get anything worth the trouble to farm them. Other than early game, where the extra tools and armor help.

cynric

Jul 29, 2019
For Dartcraft's loot bags, how common are some things? I've seen a couple portal guns from them, total for my playing time. And I've never seen UU matter or nether stars.

I'll admit they can be easy to get, but most of the time I don't get anything worth the trouble to farm them. Other than early game, where the extra tools and armor help.

Farming loot bags manually doesn't seem to make sense. I killed a few dozen mobs so far in my new 1.5 world and only got one loot bag (and enough shards to create multiple minium stones for comparison). Never got anything really valuable out of them in past worlds either, except maybe one sigil thingy (not sure how rare those are). Got multiple portal guns from chests though.

I suppose they could be game breaking if you built mob farms especially designed to create those loot bags (they usually don't naturally appear in my farms though), but I'd think you would need to invest a huge amount of time manually opening all those bags to get a sizable amount of resources.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019

Well the spoils bags no longer drop from annything but player kills on 1.6.2 (who knows about cheaty turtles). Ontop of the bonus drop chance from looting being halved! So getting loads of them isnt as easy annymore :) Besides, it adds some much needed incentive to go and actuall kill mobs yourself.

As for the actual loot, the entirely depends on what mods add dungeon/chest loot. The bags first decide what type of "chest" it is. For example a dungeon chest, or blacksmith chest or stronghold chest etc. Then it rools 9 items with the loot tables of said chest. So if a portalgun has a rarity of 1 and there are a bunch of mods adding things like thorns/flowers/steel to dungeon chests at a rarity of 20 giving like a total of 200 object on the loot table. Then you have 9 chances of 1/200 to get a portal gun IF its a dungeon chest. I am not sure how manny chests the spoils bag can roll, but its save to say that getting "tons of portalguns" is no longer going to happen with the spoilsbags being player kills only.

kasper_tfg

Jul 29, 2019
I have two suggestions, both of these are on 1.6.2:
The first is BC Tools it adds a range of mechanical armor similar to MPS or and of the IC2 weapons. As a bonus it also adds tools that mine in a 3x3 pattern like Tico hammer. Also adds a "work in progress" power gen system that uses 3D water mills that look amazing.
Link: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1647902-buildcraft-addon-buildcraft-tools-development-page/page__st__360#entry24119561
The second suggestion is Logical Armory mod. This one is more medieval in tone, leather and gold etc. It has some nice amour that's not really overpowered but it does have one draw back is that it has no config file and uses several item ID's that are fair smack in the block ID range which can be a real pain to work around. Lots of scanning forge logs to move things around.
Link: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1852267-152-162-forge-universal-logical-armory-mod/

But I do understand your frustration there is no real good armor mods in between vanilla and the likes of MPS and IC2 types. I would like to see a toned down version of a terrafirmacraft esq style of making early to mid game armor. This is more so a problem for me in the collection of mods I use I have zombie awareness and infernal mobs which makes armor a necessity not a bonus. Once I have some time off from university assignments I might have to rectify this gap. I hope these suggestions are of some use.