Decent Armor Mod?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I'm on the hunt for a decent armor mod I can include in the 1.6.2 version of ShneekeyCraft, and I'm coming up empty.

MPS is an awesome mod... a little too awesome. It's not just 'herp derp gravisuit on the fly' nonsense, in fact that's only the least of what this mod does. It is entirely amazing and awesome, but it is just off the power graph for ShneekeyCraft.

Dartcraft also is a significant power boost above and beyond what I've got currently for my mod pack.

I wish TiCo would come out with armors along a similar vein as their weapons, that would be perfect. Particularly if it could do enhancements in a similar manner without playing 'enchantment roulette'. However, mDyio is just too busy being amazing to be able to tackle it. There's some indication he is going to, if you've seen the new tab he's introduced that the Knapsack fits neatly into, you'll see some additional armor slots, but it's probably not going to be for quite some time.

I'm not just looking for 'make armor out of x material', I'm wanting a new mechanic, something with utility as well as protection.

Any ideas?

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
Well, MPS is highly configurable. You can disable every addon aswell as rebalance just about every value on every addon. I understand that that can be a pain to configure but that option is deffenitly there.

Other then that, Dartcraft has been significantly rebalanced since 1.5, you might give it another try.

But I am defenitly with you on wanting TiC armor, it would be the best thing ever :O

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Unfortunately if there were other mods like that, I'd imagine they'd either be included into the pack or they'd have their own pack at the rate FTB's pooing them out.
I think we overestimate modder creativity sometimes, given the level of "More _____" mods we see nowadays. It seems modpacks are slowly phasing out the crap.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I don't know that I'd worry too much about MPS being 'so OP'. From what I've seen on Dires FC2 series, it's sufficiently expensive that the Gravity suit might be cheaper now.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
With IC2 going through it's GregTech revamp and MPS dynamically adjusting it's recipes depending on the mods installed, I can see the recipes for the armor, tool and modules become much more difficult.

mushroom taco

Jul 29, 2019
With IC2 going through it's GregTech revamp and MPS dynamically adjusting it's recipes depending on the mods installed, I can see the recipes for the armor, tool and modules become much more difficult.
Ic2 isn't being "gregtechized", Greg is only there to work on the API.

Now please do not respond to this as on the ftb forums we are notorious for starting flame wars at the mention of "gregtech"

Malexion

Jul 29, 2019
Ic2 isn't being "gregtechized", Greg is only there to work on the API.

Now please do not respond to this as on the ftb forums we are notorious for starting flame wars at the mention of "gregtech"

I take it you haven't been watching dire's forgecraft 2 SMP series in 1.6, it gives a pretty good indication of how recipes are changing, although I wouldn't consider them harder, just more resource intensive which is usually greg's style.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
But worth the hassle. A RE battery for example can be made from half the tin (minus a quarter of a ingot for the tin cable).

mushroom taco

Jul 29, 2019
I take it you haven't been watching dire's forgecraft 2 SMP series in 1.6, it gives a pretty good indication of how recipes are changing, although I wouldn't consider them harder, just more resource intensive which is usually greg's style.
yes, i saw the recipes before direwolf even touched them...

Greg didn't do those. Da friq are you guys talking about?

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Dartcraft also is a significant power boost above and beyond what I've got currently for my mod pack.

Didn't Dartcraft get toned WAY down in the last release? Like way down and everything got otherwise harder to do? Personally, I think Dartcraft is one of the few mods with balanced flight!

But there really aren't many SuperSteve mods, anymore. The modding community's elders love to make fun of "obsidian tools" mods or anything that even remotely resembles EE3. The net result is these kinds of mods are rare due to the social pressures involved.

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
So im interested, what does everyone think is good armour?
Does it need to be original?
Do people like protection or mobility?

Just ive been thinking about armour in the future (vine pants would let you climb walls like spiders and the chest piece would work like a hookshot or grappling hook.)

And this had been another problem ive been having in my 1.6.2 instance :/
I dont like MPS so the only armour left is dartcraft.
Also i dont like where IC2 is heading ;_;

Reactions: PeggleFrank

Malexion

Jul 29, 2019

Just ive been thinking about armour in the future (vine pants would let you climb walls like spiders and the chest piece would work like a hookshot or grappling hook.)

And this had been another problem ive been having in my 1.6.2 instance :/
I dont like MPS so the only armour left is dartcraft.
Also i dont like where IC2 is heading ;_;
An armor with the tri hookshot vine thing from Terraria would be great for cave diving.

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
You could have a look into 'BC Tools'.
It adds armour and tools that work on MJ

uuuuuh I just checked, it's not updated to 1.6 :/

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
I'd suggest to just hold tight; Tinker's Construct armor is coming soon, mDiyo got a couple of other developers to work on Tinker's Construct and one of them is doing it. Here's a picture mDiyo released recent(ish)ly:
fvvk.png

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
Its not mDiyo doing the armour, its fu1jn, who is a really cool guy also :D
I have hope of this armour <3

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019

Personally I think you should go for originality, because trying to beat other mods at their features is an uphill battle. If I'm looking at armor to make I look at what features it has first, with protection being second (though I really like some protection, I'm not a big fan of goggles).
As for mobility, high movement speed and flight fills a huge gap combined with fall damage immunity. Though I have to say a grappling hook and "spider legs" sound very cool.
As for protection, only on a server I really care about high protection. The least I would want is slightly above iron armor though, generally I feel too squishy with less :p

I have to say I'm very excited to see what mDiyo is gonna do with TiC armor though. If the tools/weapons and the other things there right now are anything to go by it's going to be cool. Though I wonder if any special features like flight will make their way in there, it doesn't seem logical to me, but still.