December News

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
But you're one person. Not the whole. I agree with both hambeau AND quetzi. Quetzi is arguing that the ftb team felt a need to tell users of the possible need for more ram. Hambeau is right on his point of people reading it as "hey... my rig can handle this"

So A for the effort. C- for clarity.

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
For what it's worth, the wording I initially suggested was "require at least 3.5GB" but it was overruled and changed to "recommend at least 4GB". It is possible to launch these packs on less than 4GB, as I said previously I've had players able to launch HermitPack with 3.5GB. The wording as is sets the expectation that these packs will require more RAM to launch so ultimately the difference is mainly just semantics.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
All I'm pointing out is that a lot of the more experienced users started when a computer's "OS" was hardcoded in ROM, like a Commodore 64 for example, and could never have experienced their OS being overwritten, getting an "Out of Memory" error of some type. Far fewer are like me and started earlier with CP/m, the OS DOS was originally a blatant copy of, and have experienced OS corruption.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
All I'm pointing out is that a lot of the more experienced users started when a computer's "OS" was hardcoded in ROM, like a Commodore 64 for example, and could never have experienced their OS being overwritten, getting an "Out of Memory" error of some type. Far fewer are like me and started earlier with CP/m, the OS DOS was originally a blatant copy of, and have experienced OS corruption.
Load "*",8,1

I have no idea what you're talking about :p

Reactions: JaRyCu

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Aah, DOS. I...don't really miss it. My CS 225 class is basically an intro course into Linux command-line crap, and I'm now remembering exactly why I detest command-line interfaces. And regexes.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Aah, DOS. I...don't really miss it. My CS 225 class is basically an intro course into Linux command-line crap, and I'm now remembering exactly why I detest command-line interfaces. And regexes.

Funny, those are exactly the things I'm excited about with Windows10 new Ubuntu Bash shell interface and it's coming improvements.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Funny, those are exactly the things I'm excited about with Windows10 new Ubuntu Bash shell interface and it's coming improvements.
*hiss*

I am not fond of them. I find CLIs to be incredibly inefficient and borderline useless for any serious applications. This ain't the 90s, there's plenty of resources to go around and there's tonnes of incredibly well-made GUI libraries.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
From What I understand on ram when it comes to games the rule of thumb is take the ram you have and divide in half. That is the Max amount you should set for games to use. Any more then that will most likely run you out of memory. So if you only have 4 gb then you should only really use 2 gb ram max. or you need to install more. Installing ram isn't hard and not that much money ether. You can get a set of 2-8 GB ram from walmart for around $60 or so. (give or take)

Also note the Rule O f Two: If you have a prebuilt PC and it says you have a set number of ram most times it is a set of 2 of half that ram. I.E. If your pc says 4 gb ram unless it says other wise you really have 2- 2gb of ram. So upgrading you would go for 2- 4 gb of ram giving you 8. If you do have 1 4 gb ram then upgrading would be 1-4 gb rams. Most pcs have ether 2 or 4 ram slots.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pickypicky

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
From What I understand on ram when it comes to games the rule of thumb is take the ram you have and divide in half. That is the Max amount you should set for games to use. Any more then that will most likely run you out of memory. So if you only have 4 gb then you should only really use 2 gb ram max. or you need to install more. Installing ram isn't hard and not that much money ether. You can get a set of 2-8 GB ram from walmart for around $60 or so. (give or take)

Also note the Rule O f Two: If you have a prebuilt PC and it says you have a set number of ram most times it is a set of 2 of half that ram. I.E. If your pc says 4 gb ram unless it says other wise you really have 2- 2gb of ram. So upgrading you would go for 2- 4 gb of ram giving you 8. If you do have 1 4 gb ram then upgrading would be 1-4 gb rams. Most pcs have ether 2 or 4 ram slots.

This is a good rule of thumb... as long as you don't have a laptop.

Right now my newest laptop has 4GB. If I want to double that to 8GB (maxxed out, BtW) it will cost me 200-300 dollars because Laptop Ram is not sold in the same quantities as desktop ram. I can buy 32GB DDR3 for my desktop (24 would max me out but if I'm buying I'm gonna upgrade from 1333MHx to 1800MHz parts) for about $150 on sale.

Last edited:

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
This is a good rule of thumb... as long as you don't have a laptop.

Right now my newest laptop has 4GB. If I want to double that to 8GB (maxxed out, BtW) it will cost me 200-300 dollars because Laptop Ram is not sold in the same quantities as desktop ram. I can buy 32GB DDR3 for my desktop (24 would max me out but if I'm buying I'm gonna upgrade from 1333MHx to 1800MHz parts) for about $150 on sale.
It would be cheaper just to buy a new one..rofl.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
You go to Newegg website and look up gaming laptops and buy them on sales for way cheaper. Also good place for parts.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Correction: If you want any kind of cheap upgrade path at all, avoid laptops like a zombie virus carrier. :D

I could build a full desktop system into a transportable case if I needed to... I've done it before.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
well almost all pc are transportable...:)

I was referring to what used to be called "sewing machine" portable... Fully enclosed with the "lid" being either the monitor or keyboard but yes, you are correct.

My eyes are just too old to use a phone for anything but making calls and I still see most tablets as being hardware "retarded", pardon the expression, having only one port and an SD card slot if you're lucky.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
I was referring to what used to be called "sewing machine" portable... Fully enclosed with the "lid" being either the monitor or keyboard but yes, you are correct.

My eyes are just too old to use a phone for anything but making calls and I still see most tablets as being hardware "retarded", pardon the expression, having only one port and an SD card slot if you're lucky.
I know I was totally joking on that last comment.