D3, POE, games - topic continuation

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Check out Path of Exile, Free game that is everything Diablo 3 SHOULD have been... It's like Diablo 2 on Steroids and still in active development 2+ years after release.

I've played Path of Exile. Only ever got to just past Vhaal though. I really enjoy Diablo 3 a lot more. Diablo 3 is still in active development. I don't think they ever stopped development on it. It is constantly being improved upon and has changed drastically since release.

I would highly recommend Path of Exile for any one that like Action RPGs. Its price makes it a no brainer to pick up a copy and give it a shot. The store is pay to be vain with a few convenience items. I bought the set of named tabs. Thought about getting a guild tab so me and my brother could share a chest. Never played much at the time to think on seriously though. It is far different then any game out there. The way it did things makes it truly unique.

After I sold enough stuff in the AH to get my money back I gave up on D3. Every character had only one or two viable builds with no real variety, that is what drew me to PoE. Can you say Wand Slinging Barbarian? LOL

We are in total agreement on that... PoE is the second most complex game I have ever played (behind EVEOnline) But, like you said, extremely easy to start (free) and fun to click/kill/collect, it's only as complex as you want it to be if you are a serious theory-crafter. That skill tree is just simply scary.

OK I'll drop this since this is WAY off topic. (bad hijacker!)

ON topic again...

Thank you to ALL the people that are involved with getting this pack ready for release, programmers, testers, and the guy sitting in the back that does the color matching... yes, even him.

Yeah the modding community is freaking awesome. The game just mosies along. While the modders are expanding a infinite sandbox world manyfold.
Have you played D3 since then? I wouldn't say it has any qualities that will pull a person in and addict them. It can be worth a weeks play every couple months though. I didn't even get the game until Reaper of Souls was out, and it has even came a long way since then.

I think I got into play Path of Exile maybe a year before it was released. I enjoyed it. The passive tree mixed with the skill socketing system is really awesome. It never pulls me in like Diablo 3 does. I try and pick it back up. Play it for about half an hour then quit.

Diablo 3 doesn't pull me in much more then that. I will quest or adventure for a few hours at at time though when I bother to play it.

I think Diablo 3's biggest strengths are also its biggest weaknesses. A player doesn't level skills or stats. They just unlock as the player levels. The player can choose among everything that unlocks though for whatever currently synergieses best with there equipment or how they want to play at that time.

That is also its biggest downfall. There are no reasons to make new characters. The best part of the game has become the end-game. Which also means any new character has to be played awhile before it can access the best part of the content.
Lots of games are making mistakes with the directions they are going. They find this new way they can do things and go that direction with out really stopping and thinking of the impact that will have on the game. In some cases it is impossible to know the impact until the game is finished.

How many of the random levels do people remember from playing Diablo 2 and say "that was a awesome level" or even "that level was absolutely horrid". I can't remember any of the random levels actually standing out. I can remember a lot of the static ones though. Even now. I haven't played through that game in over a decade and I can still remember them and their layout.

Just like my favorite items I remember were the really good random ones I found. I got plenty of uniques and runewords and had them geared up in them. I geared up my characters all in items that were found by that character. I remember the yellows as my favorite items.

I have played games where all the skills could be purchased from trainers for in game gold. I remember games where skills unlocked as you went and there was little to no choice. My favorite to this day are the ones were any little mistake in skill choice would mean rolling a whole new character. That was the replay value for me. Trying out placing a skill point in a different spot at a different level.

I am not everyone. Some of my favorite games couldn't even get me hooked (poor Dungeon Runners). It wasn't that they didn't have wonderful potential. It is just that some of the fundamental development choices that were made just didn't work.

For you, what is the most memorable part of Minecraft as far as terrain? A specific piece of procedurally generated terrain or a static structure.

What is a fundamental part of games you feel developers might make the wrong choice on?

J

JohnnyDavids13

I absolutely love POE I completly agree that it is everything D3 should have been. I bought d3 played for a week, and was bored. Picked up POE, and have been playing it for years now. It is amazing having so many options and them all being viable as long as you are trying. They are making amazing improvements as well.

Reactions: DeathOfTime

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
I absolutely love POE I completly agree that it is everything D3 should have been. I bought d3 played for a week, and was bored. Picked up POE, and have been playing it for years now. It is amazing having so many options and them all being viable as long as you are trying. They are making amazing improvements as well.
I find that interesting and like hearing stories like that. I played POE for a little bit. Only one character made it past Vhaal the Overseer. I found I enjoyed Diablo 3 much more. I like a lot of things about POE, just not playing it (those ghosts in Ocarina of Time were so annoying. I finally had to use a walk through to find all of them and they were still tough at times.) I am glad to hear there are those who are enjoying it. It is a really nice game.

Of course I am in the extreme minority from the opinions I hear on the net do to actually liking Diablo 3 and Reaper of Souls story line. I like playing through the story more then I like adventure mode. I don't really play the game very much at all though. About a week every now and again. I still find it much more enjoyable then Path of Exile. I think it is mostly the graphical style. Path of Exile's style just doesn't interest me (draw me in, keep my attention, etc.).

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
Only one character made it past Vhaal the Overseer
Vaal Oversoul* >:)

The issue with D3 is that it's done so quick. You get to endgame content in 3 hours when a new season begins and then you'll have a week or so of fun. After that your character is fully geared and you have 2 options:

a) Spec to the meta spec and push the leaderboards
b) Hope for that 0.2% upgrade

I do play it everytime a season begins, but only for a week~

Path of Exile's style just doesn't interest me (draw me in, keep my attention, etc.).
Yeap, PoE is a lot less light-showy when compared to D3 (Which in my opinion is an incredibly good things)

Reactions: DeathOfTime