curse launcher change the install location.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
A

axel4340

trying to play project ozone, but curse launcher seems to refuse to install on anything but my small SSD that my OS is on. any way to change this, or hopefully play project ozone on the infinitely better (and less invasive) ftb launcher?

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
Under Settings>Minecraft>Minecraft Install Location, you can change your install path. What do you mean it refuses to install?

Reactions: ICountFrom0
V

Vhisarion

I have the same problem. I recently bought an SSD and put my OS in it, but when I install Curse I can't find any option to install Curse in the old HDD, it automatically installs in the SSD :/

V

Vhisarion

I already have the minecraft files in the HDD, what I want to do is put Curse in the HDD, not in the SSD.

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
I already have the minecraft files in the HDD, what I want to do is put Curse in the HDD, not in the SSD.
Oh, oops, I misunderstood. I think there might be an option on where to install curse in your settings, if not you might try manually moving the files. I might have a another solution after I do some research.

V

Vhisarion

Oh, oops, I misunderstood. I think there might be an option on where to install curse in your settings, if not you might try manually moving the files. I might have a another solution after I do some research.
It's just ~600Mb so I guess it doesn't matter. Couldn't find any option to do that anywhere :/

G

Godworrior

~600mb adds up fast. Creating a symlink is not a very good or user friendly solution. If, for instance, you reinstall windows (which is why I have my data on a separate drive any ways) it will follow the symlink and uninstall what's there too. Simply moving the folder is hacky solution, some settings (e.g. registry entries) might have the location saved as being in AppData, and things might not work properly any more.

Imho, a correct solution would be to let users pick the installation directory during the installation process, like almost any other installer allows. I don't know if this is the right forum to talk about that though, CC seems like a third party thing?

Last edited:

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
The correct place to report this would be the Curse support site (http://support.curse.com) we have reported it before as being an issue though and my understanding is that for whatever reason it is unlikely to change (although who knows if enough people report it as an issue). As far as I know the default install location is the users default ProgramData directory, so in theory if you were to change the location of that then the install location would also change.

G

Godworrior

Thanks for the response.

I looked into ProgramData but that seems to be another thing besides AppData. There are ways to change the location of AppData too but they seem to be not recommended after installing windows. I don't really wanna risk moving it and breaking all the programs that use it just to move CC to another drive.

I'm fine with having it store some settings there but it's storing all of it's runtime libraries too.

I might submit a ticket to curse, but after picking up minecraft again after a few years I'm not too excited about that. For the time being I've switched to using the legacy launcher.

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
Could well be right and it's AppData not ProgramData. I just remember I had to jump through hoops when I set up my SSD to get that stuff on a different drive.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I don't know if this would work but an old Unix practice might help.

You used to be able to put sub-directories on secondary drives in Windows (standard in Unix) and change the config files to indicate the different drive to use... This would isolate user home directories and personal info from boot and system data... We did this with both Windows NT/2000 servers and OS/2 servers so our user data back-ups could finish overnight. We backed up the OS on weekends.

You'd have to get elbow deep in hidden MS config files but it would allow you to have a small SSD strictly for the OS and related files used for booting the system and a separate large HDD for the users' home directories, installed software and other large, fairly rapidly changing files.

Since the Curse client installs in "\Users\[username]\appdata\roaming\Curse Client" the client should install on the HDD automatically. The actual game files should too, but since I currently have to use Office Online for e-mail and spreadsheets all that is in the cloud (This WILL change when I rebuild my system and not use a web page for mail).

NOTE: This path is for Windows 10. Win 7 and Win 8 should be similar. Also, "appdata" is a hidden directory in your home directory (referred to here as [username] )

Last edited: