Curiouskey's FTB Infinity World Journal

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
you'd better turn down the scale of that tree. noone can use that much space.

The thing is, the plan isn't to use that space efficiently. :p By far the largest part of the design is purely aesthetic. Most of my regular infrastructure will probably be either inside the tower, or perhaps inside the base of the trunk. The build is meant to be just that, a build. I never plan my bases based on making precisely the right size for my infrastructure, I design them to be interesting/cool looking, and then I put my tech somewhere inside it. :p

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
For the staircase, try looking at http://imgur.com/a/1Gxsz#0. Sarlac does a fantastic job explaining the elements of a grand entrance and how to scale them in his tutorial. he's also got lots of other tutorials that are helpful.

Thanks :) that's actually a really cool guide. At this point I've actually got the staircase pretty much sorted out though :)

and as I sync the updates here with my youtube upload schedule, the update will be here on friday, roughly 8pm London time. :)

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
Update #8:
Re-designed the staircase:
2015-04-06_06.16.56.png

2015-04-05_11.48.08.png

Side-on image during construction.

2015-04-05_12.15.13.png

View from the top.

2015-04-06_07.40.48.png

Underneath (I'm really happy with the underside of the upper section of the staircase)

2015-04-06_06.02.13.png

laid down the dirt for the area where the tower will be built. Just gotta wait for grass.

There we have it, making good progress. :) I'm very happy with the re-design of the staircase, and designing it gave me fresh ideas for the look of the tower as well. Looking forward to getting to work on it. :)

As usual, for those interested in lets plays, the latest episode of the lets play that accompanies this journal can be found here:

I hope you enjoyed the update. :)

Reactions: Ieldra and Yusunoha

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
Loving that staircase (been lurking and keeping up with your progress, loving it so far!)

Cheers, glad to hear you're enjoying it! :) Still got alot to learn with building, but I like challenging myself like I did with that, keeps things fresh :)

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
Guess who's back! Sorry for the hiatus guys, life stuff got in the way for a while, but I'm back now. :)

@Master_Builder_800 Don't worry the project hasn't stopped, I was just very busy for a while. :)

Update #9:
Got to work on the tower itself, built the basic structure of the walls and did some detailing on the outside:
2015-05-31_18.15.24.png

View from the front door.

2015-04-11_09.47.36.png

I continued the theme from the staircase of having indents with netherbrick stairs, and added some details using nether block posts.

2015-04-11_09.48.20.png

Inside the door I played around and came up with this little thing that looked a bit like a spine and ribcage. I might extend it up and bring both sides of it together in an arch, need to experiment and see what looks best.

2015-05-31_18.15.31.png

So this is what it looks like from the inside! A bit bare currently, as I did the outside details first. But I'll play around with some ideas for the inside. I already have some stuff coming together that might look quite nice.

2015-05-31_18.15.38.png

In this points of the star-shape of this room, I'm thinking of having arcane elevators leading up to the next floor, and down below. Possibly I'll have one set of elevators going up, opposite the entrance, and then staircases going down on both side points. I'll need to play around see what suits best. :)

2015-05-31_18.16.00.png

And then we are, this is where we're at with the tower. It's proving a challenging build, but that's why I'm enjoying it, I'm really stretching myself, and getting better as I go along, and so far I'm pleased with the results. :)

So there we are, it's been a while but I'm back, and really enjoying working on this project again! It's a real buzz seeing where this is taking me as a builder and I'm really excited for the future of the project. Next up I'll work on some interior details and maybe get some elevators set up before I start working on the next floor. I'll also need to try out some root concepts at some point, though that might not be next update.

I hope you're enjoying the project, go ahead and comment if you have any ideas to add. :)

As always, for anyone interested, there is also the next episode of the lets play on youtube here:

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
I'm looking forward to seeing the tower progression. I like the ribcage / spine idea. Very cool.

Cheers man glad you're enjoying it. :) I have some ambitious plans for the tower, hopefully I have the skills to make those plans a reality. :p