Curiouskey's FTB Infinity World Journal

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, so I've started a world on Infinity (slightly tweaked to my own preferences) and I'm going to chronicle my progress here. I'll be posting updates with pictures and videos probably about once a week.

Spawned right next to a lovely little lavendar fields biome.
2015-02-18_08.14.22.png

So here goes, my first actions in the world, getting my starter house built:
2015-02-18_03.04.33.png

first floor done, starting on second floor.

2015-02-18_06.59.21.png
Working on the roof.

2015-02-18_08.12.00.png

2015-02-18_08.12.30.png

2015-02-18_08.12.15.png

Just got the outside done, interiors still pretty bare, but I'm feeling good about the project!

Ok, so I'll lay out some info about how I plan this build to go:
This is gonna be a modular base, so as I need more space for things, or just want to add more rooms, I'll do stuff like tear down part of a wall and add some house onto it. So it'll be growing organically as I go.

Also, I'm gonna be doing a little video series on this world, so if you wanna check out the video too, here's the link:

Latest episode:

Feel free to post and tell me what you think of offer advice/criticism :)[/MEDIA]

Last edited:

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, so I've started a world on Infinity (slightly tweaked to my own preferences) and I'm going to chronicle my progress here. I'll be posting updates with pictures and videos probably about once a week.

Spawned right next to a lovely little lavendar fields biome.
View attachment 15033

So here goes, my first actions in the world, getting my starter house built:
View attachment 15035
first floor done, starting on second floor.

View attachment 15036 Working on the roof.

View attachment 15041
View attachment 15042
View attachment 15044
Just got the outside done, interiors still pretty bare, but I'm feeling good about the project!

Ok, so I'll lay out some info about how I plan this build to go:
This is gonna be a modular base, so as I need more space for things, or just want to add more rooms, I'll do stuff like tear down part of a wall and add some house onto it. So it'll be growing organically as I go.

Also, I'm gonna be doing a little video series on this world, so if you wanna check out the video too, here's the link:

Feel free to post and tell me what you think of offer advice/criticism :)

goddamnit... I'll get back to my hole in the ground now...

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
goddamnit... I'll get back to my hole in the ground now...

I'll take that as a compliment, cheers! :p I was actually feeling a bit self-conscious about showing this build, because I went waay out of my comfort zone and I had no idea if it was going to work or not :)

Acredium

Jul 29, 2019
Subbed for this series. I like buidling as well so this could be interesting :)

Just one remark on the video, as it is focused on building I would suggest maby doing a fast forward cut instead of a fade to black. So we can still see the building being made. Maby it is only me but I like to watch that and get some inspiration, or just plain steal ideas, from other peoples builds :p

Reactions: CuriousKey

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
it worked, well, atleast in my opinion.

Thanks man! :)

Subbed for this series. I like buidling as well so this could be interesting :)

Just one remark on the video, as it is focused on building I would suggest maby doing a fast forward cut instead of a fade to black. So we can still see the building being made. Maby it is only me but I like to watch that and get some inspiration, or just plain steal ideas, from other peoples builds :p

Well, building probbly won't be the *only* thing I'll do, I'll take little detours every now and then, (I'd like to spend a few episodes going through the new(ish) twilight forest progression thing at some stage for example. But building will be what I'll be doing most of the time :) And yes, you're absolutely right about fast forwards and montages etc, and in the future I will start doing that kind of thing, it's simply a matter of me sharpening up my editing skills :) I'll do a little bit more building in real-time too. For that video I really just wanted to get as much done as possible, which is why there were such abrupt cuts, perhaps I cut too much :p

Thanks for the sub! :D

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Looks good. Nice to see a first post with a nice looking build! I don't even do that :p

House style is great, but would love to see a little less "vanilla" building style and more use of mods(microblocks, Carpenter's blocks etc.). But early days ofc ;)

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
Looks good. Nice to see a first post with a nice looking build! I don't even do that :p

House style is great, but would love to see a little less "vanilla" building style and more use of mods(microblocks, Carpenter's blocks etc.). But early days ofc ;)

Cheers man, means alot coming from you, very impressed with your world journal! :)

Yeah I felt like I should have something to show off in the first video, just so people don't have to watch loads of videos without knowing it was going anywhere :p

And you're right, I'll definitely do some microblock stuff once I get my head round it, I just haven't built with them before, so it'll be something that will creep into my designs as I get more familiar with them :)

Reactions: rhn

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
And you're right, I'll definitely do some microblock stuff once I get my head round it, I just haven't built with them before, so it'll be something that will creep into my designs as I get more familiar with them :)
Once you figure out how to cut them and the "system"(I put it in quotations because it is a really simple system :p) of the different cuts, it is very intuitive to use.

Carpenter's slopes can be a lot more annoying to use but you will quickly get the hang of them as well(tip: you can shift+scroll with them in hotbar to scroll through some of the shapes before you place them. Rest you will have to toggle through with hammer).

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
Once you figure out how to cut them and the "system"(I put it in quotations because it is a really simple system :p) of the different cuts, it is very intuitive to use.

Carpenter's slopes can be a lot more annoying to use but you will quickly get the hang of them as well(tip: you can shift+scroll with them in hotbar to scroll through some of the shapes before you place them. Rest you will have to toggle through with hammer).

Cheers man, like alot of things I expect it's something that's alot less intimidating than it looks once you get stuck in. :p

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
Time for an update:
Got some interior design work done, biggest change being the staircase:
2015-02-21_00.40.44.png

2015-02-21_00.40.56.png

A little semi-balcony on the second floor.

2015-02-21_00.41.10.png

Carpet design.

2015-02-21_00.41.17.png

Aaaand.... My first machine. Not much, I know, but I have to start somewhere. :p

And episode 2 of the lets play:

Now, if you watched both videos, you'll probably notice they're very different. The first involves alot of cutting, most of the work happening off-screen. Alot more got done, but you didn't get to see much.
In the second video, there was very little cutting, and I did most of the work on-screen, so you got to see the process, at the cost of me getting less done. This is kind of an experiment to see what approach appeals to me when it comes to making videos.
So feel free to give some feedback on what you prefer to see, and how much you want me to cut out :)

I hope you enjoy the journey we're going on :)

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
Update time!
Main element this time is an extension to the house/manor:
2015-02-27_14.45.33.png

2015-02-22_02.26.49.png

Also did some work on the interior downstairs of the main building.

2015-02-22_02.36.05.png

And redesigned the carpet upstairs. All hail chisel mod!

2015-02-27_14.45.55.png

Also discovered chisel torches. Did I mention I love chisel?

2015-02-27_14.47.29.png

Alternate view of the new extension. Planning on using it as a library/enchantment area/magic research room.

2015-02-27_14.45.17.png

I quite like how well it blends into the wall of the main building. I was expecting that to be a bit of a headache to get looking good, but it came out quite nicely.

2015-02-27_14.45.47.png

And inside the new room. I've put in a raised platform for the library section, and I'll do some decorating between now and the next update.

So, quite alot done this episode, but I feel it's past time I got stuck into some proper mod stuff. I'll probably spend some time doing botania basics, learning how the mod works. I plan to stick to magic mods and medieval-ish stuff for the moment.
There's also the third episode of the lets play (linked below). I've made my first building montage! Unfortunately due to the bitrate I recorded at, (2000kbps) it gets a touch blurry, but I'll see what I can do to fix that next time I do a montage.

As always, feel free to drop a comment with any thoughts or ideas or feedback you have. :)

Acredium

Jul 29, 2019
Nice series so far. Really liked the building montage :) Didn't notice the blurryness you mentioned.

Looking forward seeing where this serie goes with the magic mods. Keep it up!

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks! :) To me the blurriness was noticeable, but then I tend to be really critical of my own work/projects. :p

And cheers, I'm looking forward to it too :) It's going to be quite a challenge in a few areas, especially large-scale automation, but with things like this, you have to challenge yourself to keep it interesting and stop yourself getting bored. :)
I hope you enjoy the series as it continues!

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks Quantum! :) For me at least, building medieval has always felt a little more natural and intuitive than building modern. I would like to do more modern stuff one day, but for now medieval/fantasy is what's inspiring me. :)

Now a question for everyone: For projects like in the last video where I make a substantial addition to my manor, would you like to see a montage for every one of them? Or would you rather I do the odd project off-cam so the montages don't get too repetitive?
Because there's a fair amount of significant extensions I have in mind, and I wouldn't want the videos to get too monotonous. :)

QuantumCookies

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks Quantum! :) For me at least, building medieval has always felt a little more natural and intuitive than building modern. I would like to do more modern stuff one day, but for now medieval/fantasy is what's inspiring me. :)

Now a question for everyone: For projects like in the last video where I make a substantial addition to my manor, would you like to see a montage for every one of them? Or would you rather I do the odd project off-cam so the montages don't get too repetitive?
Because there's a fair amount of significant extensions I have in mind, and I wouldn't want the videos to get too monotonous. :)
I think probably, since your house follows a fairly repetitive pattern anyway (so far), it was probably enough to show us one or two videos of you building the base structure. Then you could just show us pics as you expand, so we don't have to watch the same thing over and over again. However, if you build something unique, independent, or huge, I would love to see a video of it.
Just my thoughts. Good luck ;)

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
I think probably, since your house follows a fairly repetitive pattern anyway (so far), it was probably enough to show us one or two videos of you building the base structure. Then you could just show us pics as you expand, so we don't have to watch the same thing over and over again. However, if you build something unique, independent, or huge, I would love to see a video of it.
Just my thoughts. Good luck ;)
Looks really nice m8. I love builds like this that stick to a medievalish theme and have so much attention to detail.

Thanks for your input :) I do see what you mean with the repetitive style, though myself I don't like a single building to have too many different styles going on, makes things too busy. :p But yeah, showing too many videos of building essentially the same template over again wouldn't be interesting. I do have some stuff planned in the basement for larger magic set ups like infusion altars and stuff, so I can do that kind of thing and interior design on video and just go ahead and build the outer structures off camera and show off what I've done each video? :)

That way I'd probably make progress alot faster, and each video would probably focus on figuring out little bits of magic stuff, and whatever smaller unique parts of the manor design are happening, and other builds in different styles, like my ideas for the basement :)

QuantumCookies

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for your input :) I do see what you mean with the repetitive style, though myself I don't like a single building to have too many different styles going on, makes things too busy. :p But yeah, showing too many videos of building essentially the same template over again wouldn't be interesting. I do have some stuff planned in the basement for larger magic set ups like infusion altars and stuff, so I can do that kind of thing and interior design on video and just go ahead and build the outer structures off camera and show off what I've done each video? :)

That way I'd probably make progress alot faster, and each video would probably focus on figuring out little bits of magic stuff, and whatever smaller unique parts of the manor design are happening, and other builds in different styles, like my ideas for the basement :)
Sounds good m8. Look forward to the videos :)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Personally I must admit I dont watch the videos(or at the very most skims through them). Would personally much rather prefer you focus on building some cool stuff and show off some nice pictures of it. And then maybe show a short video now and then for things that are better conveyed that way.
But I am rather peculiar that way. Can't stand watching LPs either(I would rather play the game myself :))