Creating EU through Infernal Furnace EXP

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
This idea just occured to me, and since the server I play on bans fully automatic mob grinders of any kind, I'm thinking I may get into Thaumcraft just to try this idea out in-game.
Does anyone happen to know how much experience each item gives you per smelt? http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Experience
My first idea was to use this as a way to get a little extra EU out of charcoal. However, I'm thinking that perhaps a furnace > macerator smelting loop using gold might have enough extra yield to be worth while.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, Thaumcraft adds a machine called an Infernal Furnace, which is capable of smelting items while maintaining its experience yield. This experience can then be automatically collected and used to enchant stuff by a Misc Peripherals' enchanting turtle, and that enchanted tool can then be put into a Gregtech magic energy absorber to create EU.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
That seems... pretty smart, actually.
Fully automatic mob grinders aside, that seems like a great way to get tons of EXP to me. And that exp can be made into a enchanted tool and that tool run through a silly device to generate EU in pretty large amounts(if I understand correctly).
Two catches, though. The Infernal Furnace creates Flux, and it's not easy to clean flux(AFAIK). Second, it requires Vis to smelt anything. If you were to fully automate it, you would drain the loaded chunks around you of Vis. And Vis technically isn't renewable.(even with research into various magic fields, it's not really renewable in of that the process is so slow it isn't funny and doesn't really count)

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Fully automatic mob grinders aside, that seems like a great way to get tons of EXP to me. And that exp can be made into a enchanted tool and that tool run through a silly device to generate EU in pretty large amounts(if I understand correctly).
Two catches, though. The Infernal Furnace creates Flux, and it's not easy to clean flux(AFAIK). Second, it requires Vis to smelt anything. If you were to fully automate it, you would drain the loaded chunks around you of Vis. And Vis technically isn't renewable.(even with research into various magic fields, it's not really renewable in of that the process is so slow it isn't funny and doesn't really count)

The infernal furnace's flux output is trivial to manage, as is its vis consumption. You do need to petty much finish all of TC's tier 3 research to do so, however. And the idea that vis is not renewable is wrong. It's renewable via a few different ways.

What I don't get is how you'd actually automate the entire process. In particular, what collects the experience balls? A player has to shake them out of a brainjar.

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019
The infernal furnace's flux output is trivial to manage, as is its vis consumption. You do need to petty much finish all of TC's tier 3 research to do so, however. And the idea that vis is not renewable is wrong. It's renewable via a few different ways.

What I don't get is how you'd actually automate the entire process. In particular, what collects the experience balls? A player has to shake them out of a brainjar.
And we have to note that collecting EXP with brain in a jars are now a PITA because they only collect ~30 levels each, so you'll need a wall of them (which is annoying anyways).

As for the renewable vis, the easiest way is to spam craptons of crystal clusters, have a few capacitors and use a pure node/pure bees for good measure (optimally, I'd say just keep like 5 pure bee apiaries or something, cleaning the flux and getting free aspects is better IMO, and building a large pure node takes loads of vis and to a lesser extent, time)

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019

I'm expecting the flux to be trivial, though may I ask that you elaborate on how to make vis renewably? EDIT @ ABOVE: That's what I figured.

Also, as for how to automate the process, it's actually really simple with just RP2 and Computer Craft + Misc. Peripherals. Transposers can pick up any item which falls in front of them, as well as throw any items they recieve into the world if their output side has no tube attached to it. The experience orbs can be automatically picked up AND used to enchant stuff via an enchanting turtle, though it will require you to know how to use CC as well as how to wrap peripherals. (Wrapping is done with a single line of code, but isn't exactly intuitive.)

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I'm expecting the flux to be trivial, though may I ask that you elaborate on how to make vis renewably?

Thaumcraft research does it. You can force vis into the environment, and also recapture excess and re-release it. Or also generating new distant chunks. See, thaumcraft doesn't care if a chunk is loaded, but the entire universe isn't accessible until the chunks are generated. My understanding there is that large regions are generated at once, but that an entire maxmap isn't for performance reasons. Pop in the nether, fly 6km, then pop out. Boom, new vis. You can also make a battery dimension and suck all the vis out of it to refill yours.

The experience orbs can be automatically picked up AND used to enchant stuff via an enchanting turtle

Ah, having never used an enchanting turtle I didn't know they could pick up the orbs.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
KirinDave is correct on this. The only down side is this process creates flux... not the process itself but anytime you move vis up or down from its set level you create flux. The vary act of a node recharging creates flux.

But you can also use some of the higher tier research in TC to help refill the local vis. But over all it is not vis that is the main issue its the flux. Which can be managed. I am a fan of building an Death Island for all my vis intensive tasks. box up the node and wreck that shit. Just purge them wisps when you can and use a chunk loader to help the place clean it self up while your not around.

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
KirinDave is correct on this. The only down side is this process creates flux... not the process itself but anytime you move vis up or down from its set level you create flux. The vary act of a node recharging creates flux.

But you can also use some of the higher tier research in TC to help refill the local vis. But over all it is not vis that is the main issue its the flux. Which can be managed. I am a fan of building an Death Island for all my vis intensive tasks. box up the node and wreck that shit. Just purge them wisps when you can and use a chunk loader to help the place clean it self up while your not around.
Right, I figured simply boxing in the node and installing a tesla coil, as well as automatic drop collection should clean up flux well enough.

However, I do wonder at just how much EU this system would be capable of creating... Granted any EU it created would be pretty much free, but just how much EU does one enchantment give you? Also, do you get more EU for having high enchantments? Or just for having different kinds? Would it be better to enchant at level 16 since that's when level costs begin to climb, or to let it charge all the way to 30?
So many questions I have on this, and unfortunately I can't test them at the moment...

EDIT: Oh, and another rather important question when trying to determine yield; Just how quickly does the infernal furnace smelt stuff?

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
Just move it around other peoples' houses on the sever :D

Reactions: Summit

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
I wanna say 3-5 seconds for flux? I'm fairly certain it's random.
I figured it might be around 5 seconds, though if it's random that would be slightly problematic. Not very much, though.
So, using the infinite gold smelting loop I described before, and assuming it took on average 4 seconds to complete a smelting operation, it should take about 68 seconds per level until level 16, where things start getting less efficient. Multiply by 16, and that's 1088 seconds for level 16.
Although, now i'm beginning to wonder if perhaps simply spamming level 1 enchantments might give higher total EU yield... Really wish I could test this stuff in-game...

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Just move it around other peoples' houses on the sever :D

Protip from experience: do not put multiblock structures from thaumcraft onto frames. It is unwise in the extreme for your server. There's also a little surprise waiting for those of you who do it wrong with the infernal furnace.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Protip from experience: do not put multiblock structures from thaumcraft onto frames. It is unwise in the extreme for your server. There's also a little surprise waiting for those of you who do it wrong with the infernal furnace.

LOL you know someone was trying to make a sort of farm using the IF and breaking/rebuilding it.

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
I'm bumping this thread for an amazingly simple related idea which I'm amazed I had never thought of before now; XP turtles can pull items out of furnaces and get the experience from them.
Infinite experience from an infinite gold smelting loop, without the flux and research! And with much greater production, thanks to induction furnaces!
Now I really wish I were back home to try this out in-game...

EDIT: Actually, thinking about this, using induction furnaces for this might just be better then

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I'm bumping this thread for an amazingly simple related idea which I'm amazed I had never thought of before now; XP turtles can pull items out of furnaces and get the experience from them.
Infinite experience from an infinite gold smelting loop, without the flux and research! And with much greater production, thanks to induction furnaces!
Now I really wish I were back home to try this out in-game...

EDIT: Actually, thinking about this, using induction furnaces for this might just be better then

Loop? You do know that only the ore smelted gives xp not the dust or ingots. Where are you getting the loop from?

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Loop? You do know that only the ore smelted gives xp not the dust or ingots. Where are you getting the loop from?
In an induction furnace, gold dust gives you experience. It's probably not supposed to, but it does.
EDIT: A breakthrough of SCIENCE!!! has been discovered; gold blocks can be smelted in furnaces to yield 9 TIMES the experience points of dust!

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
In an induction furnace, gold dust gives you experience. It's probably not supposed to, but it does.
EDIT: A breakthrough of SCIENCE!!! has been discovered; gold blocks can be smelted in furnaces to yield 9 TIMES the experience points of dust!

Yeah thats sort of broken.

but then you don't need anything but the induction furnace, 9 gold, and a compressor to get all the exp you want.