1. Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Cow soul shard spawner only spawns on grass?

Discussion in 'General FTB chat' started by Dekken, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Dekken

Dekken New Member

Hey,

So I collected enough souls to get a level 3 cow spawner, and it seems like I can not spawn cows mid-air.
    They only spawn on grass, which does not help me much if I am planning on making a cow trap.
    I saw people do it, but I am not sure why it does not work for me.
    If I create a 2x2 grass block in mid-air and put the spawner there, they will spawn. without it they wont.

Playing the latest Mindcrack pack.

Thanks.

2. OmegaPython

OmegaPython New Member

I believe you need a Tier 4 or above for the mobs to spawn disregarding normal spawning conditions. There are still ways to make farms (golems is what I'm thinking - see DW20's Server Play S4), but cows will have to spawn on grass below Tier 4, sorry.

3. Dekken

Dekken New Member

Oh I see. well that sucks!
    And I also have a level 4 chicken spawner, and that one also does not work without grass. I guess I need level 5?

4. Exedra

Exedra New Member

Just use iron golems. TC ones.

5. Saice

Saice New Member

Tier 5 totally works not on grass I have one in my mob reactor.

6. OmegaPython

OmegaPython New Member

Unless I am getting confused, you should be able to use a Tier 4 without grass too.

7. Saice

Saice New Member

Edit - If your willing to do something shady I did find out recently and tested this. You can make a few teir 1 shards that are just 1 kill of anything and use them to repair your teir 4 shard into a teir 5. it takes a few and some XP so its not free. But it can save you time over murdering a few hundred more cows.

8. OmegaPython

OmegaPython New Member

Keep in mind that this is an exploit - it will be fixed and personally I wouldn't take advantage of an exploit like this anyway.

9. Saice

Saice New Member

Should ... but I think it is somehow checking grass with the light requirement. Same issue pops up with tier 4 vs tier 5 slime shards tier 4 appears to not work outside of a slime chunk while tier 5 does.

No idea why other then my guess about it checking light requirement for some reason since that is the big difference for 4 vs 5. And I have not tested this in awhile it has been at lest an update or two since I had any issue with the passive mod shards.[DOUBLEPOST=1361773547][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Hence the shady statement. I don't use it myself but when someone brought it up I had to go test it in my test world.

10. OmegaPython

OmegaPython New Member

Of course, you do HAVE light there right?

11. Saice

Saice New Member

Not what I meant. Not that light is actual the issue but that there at one time seemed to be an issue where teir 4 passive spawner would not work even if you had the light needed for spawning in mid air but if you put them on grass they would be fine. While Tier 5 would work mid air. It has been awhile since I tested this so it might still be an issue. The whole light thing was just my guess at the code reason for the grass check.