Cow soul shard spawner only spawns on grass?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dekken

Jul 29, 2019
Hey,

So I collected enough souls to get a level 3 cow spawner, and it seems like I can not spawn cows mid-air.
They only spawn on grass, which does not help me much if I am planning on making a cow trap.
I saw people do it, but I am not sure why it does not work for me.
If I create a 2x2 grass block in mid-air and put the spawner there, they will spawn. without it they wont.

Playing the latest Mindcrack pack.

Thanks.

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
I believe you need a Tier 4 or above for the mobs to spawn disregarding normal spawning conditions. There are still ways to make farms (golems is what I'm thinking - see DW20's Server Play S4), but cows will have to spawn on grass below Tier 4, sorry.

Dekken

Jul 29, 2019
Oh I see. well that sucks!
And I also have a level 4 chicken spawner, and that one also does not work without grass. I guess I need level 5?

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Edit - If your willing to do something shady I did find out recently and tested this. You can make a few teir 1 shards that are just 1 kill of anything and use them to repair your teir 4 shard into a teir 5. it takes a few and some XP so its not free. But it can save you time over murdering a few hundred more cows.

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
Edit - If your willing to do something shady I did find out recently and tested this. You can make a few teir 1 shards that are just 1 kill of anything and use them to repair your teir 4 shard into a teir 5. it takes a few and some XP so its not free. But it can save you time over murdering a few hundred more cows.
Keep in mind that this is an exploit - it will be fixed and personally I wouldn't take advantage of an exploit like this anyway.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Unless I am getting confused, you should be able to use a Tier 4 without grass too.
Should ... but I think it is somehow checking grass with the light requirement. Same issue pops up with tier 4 vs tier 5 slime shards tier 4 appears to not work outside of a slime chunk while tier 5 does.

No idea why other then my guess about it checking light requirement for some reason since that is the big difference for 4 vs 5. And I have not tested this in awhile it has been at lest an update or two since I had any issue with the passive mod shards.[DOUBLEPOST=1361773547][/DOUBLEPOST]
Keep in mind that this is an exploit - it will be fixed and personally I wouldn't take advantage of an exploit like this anyway.

Hence the shady statement. I don't use it myself but when someone brought it up I had to go test it in my test world.

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
Should ... but I think it is somehow checking grass with the light requirement. Same issue pops up with tier 4 vs tier 5 slime shards tier 4 appears to not work outside of a slime chunk while tier 5 does.

No idea why other then my guess about it checking light requirement for some reason since that is the big difference for 4 vs 5. And I have not tested this in awhile it has been at lest an update or two since I had any issue with the passive mod shards.
Of course, you do HAVE light there right?

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Of course, you do HAVE light there right?

Not what I meant. Not that light is actual the issue but that there at one time seemed to be an issue where teir 4 passive spawner would not work even if you had the light needed for spawning in mid air but if you put them on grass they would be fine. While Tier 5 would work mid air. It has been awhile since I tested this so it might still be an issue. The whole light thing was just my guess at the code reason for the grass check.