Covered in bees.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
It's come to my attention that, completely beyond my rapacious quarrying, a large amount of my base's resource collecting capability revolves around bees.

I didn't set out to make this a bee-heavy playthrough...I just sort of stumbled into it.

Ender pearls, shiny metal, enderium, cryotheum and pyrotheum dusts, glowstone, redstone, all the thaumcraft shards, paper, diamonds, emeralds, uranium, certus quartz, cocoa beans, gunpowder and bonemeal.

Dragon eggs, wither skulls, knowledge fragments.

Cobalt, Ardite and Manyullyn.

Droplets for resonant ender, seed oil, mead, liquid nitrogen, milk, oil and refined fuel.

It's getting a bit crazy at this point...

NEED MOAR!

Last edited:

hanky21

Jul 29, 2019
If I wanted to get started in bees is there a good wiki that could help me get started?

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
For bee breeding, there's basically three ways to play it.

Look up a resource in NEI (the item menu thingy), if there's a bee that produces it, it'll be in there somewhere. Then just by clicking through each of the bee species in turn you can essentially find the crossbreeding path you need to produce the final species.

Now, you can either do it the "old fashioned" way, by basically getting a princess and a drone of each species and sticking them in an apiary together. This way is slow, long-winded and leaves you at the mercy of the random number generator (because mutations caused by crossbreeding have a % chance associated with them). I won't bother going into depth on this, since it's been around for YEARS and it's pretty self explanatory. I'll just point you in the direction of the beealyzer, which lets you scan a bee so you can see which traits it's carrying, useful for selective breeding ;)

These days, however, there's two other ways you can do it:

1. Binnie's mods (extra bees, genetics etc) have a procedure for extracting the traits you want and inoculating other bees with them. There's a decent tutorial on that here.

2. Gendustry. This mod is AMAZING. [Many/several/probably more than one] [people/persons] have complained that it takes some of the grind and challenge out of bee breeding, but if you're looking to get results quickly and with less of the RNG pain, it's brilliant. I couldn't find a decent written tutorial for it but there's the mod's own wiki herehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2eSIGnmhoI

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Wackra

Jul 29, 2019
If you have Magic Bees installed get yourself some Necrotic Frames. With 3 frames installed the life time of the bee is reduced to a single cycle (about 20 seconds). This really speeds up cross breeding and gene stabilization.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
It's come to my attention that, completely beyond my rapacious quarrying, a large amount of my base's resource collecting capability revolves around bees.

I didn't set out to make this a bee-heavy playthrough...I just sort of stumbled into it.

Ender pearls, shiny metal, enderium, cryotheum and pyrotheum dusts, glowstone, redstone, all the thaumcraft shards, paper, diamonds, emeralds, uranium, certus quartz, cocoa beans, gunpowder and bonemeal.

Dragon eggs, wither skulls, knowledge fragments.

Cobalt, Ardite and Manyullyn.

Droplets for resonant ender, seed oil, mead, liquid nitrogen, milk, oil and refined fuel.

It's getting a bit crazy at this point...

NEED MOAR!

So you are saying that you are bee-dazzled, bee-witched and bee-wildered?

pandana

Jul 29, 2019
I wish I understood bees haha...I'm sure they're simple, I just never got around to learning them.