Config changes for Horizons 1.0.7

DamagePlan

Jul 29, 2019
After the latest update I noticed that TE3 no longer requires steel and the steel recipe was turned off.
I'd like to revert this change. I found the line in the TE3 config to require steel again but I can't find the config that enables the smelting of iron into steel. Does anyone know where this is?

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I don't get you. Why would you want TE3 to use steel when you are going to enable the easy steel config? I mean, I understand some would like the steel recipes enabled and use other mods for their steel production, ie RailCraft or Mekanism, to make TE3's progression harder.

But by enabling the iron to steel in a furnace recipe, wouldn't that defeats the purpose of enabling steel requirement for TE3?

Sorry but no offense meant here, I just want to know why?

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

DamagePlan

Jul 29, 2019
Well personally I like the increased difficulty of having steel needed for TE3 but I'm not the only one on my server. Also the only way I'm aware of getting steel in Horizons without going Iron > Steel is with the smeltery from TiC with 1:1 Manganese and Iron. There may be other ways but I stopped looking when I found Iron > Steel. The real draw here for steel is the TiC tools.

What other efficient ways are there to get steel in this back since RC and Mekanism aren't included? I don't like being reliant on manganese for my steel production. I know RotaryCraft HSLA steel isn't interchangable but RotaryCraft does have a steel purifier that will turn other mods' steel into HSLA but that doesn't help with TiC.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, I see. Well, I will leave it to those who are more knowledgeable to assist you then. :)

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Crea

Jul 29, 2019
If you're talking about Artiface's iron+coal recipe, if so just change this line to true in Artiface.cfg:
Code:
B:"Alternate Steel Recipe"=false

DamagePlan

Jul 29, 2019
Changing

Config\artiface.cfg to
Code:

and

Config\cofh\thermalexpansion
Code:
machineframe.usesteel=true

randomly gave me...

Code:
9:58:43 PM CONSOLE: [SEVERE] Encountered an unexpected exception RuntimeException
9:58:43 PM CONSOLE: character '/' in '/config/cofh/ThermalExpansion.cfg:1'

Ideas?

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Changing

Config\artiface.cfg to
Code:

and

Config\cofh\thermalexpansion
Code:
machineframe.usesteel=true

randomly gave me...

Code:
9:58:43 PM CONSOLE: [SEVERE] Encountered an unexpected exception RuntimeException
9:58:43 PM CONSOLE: character '/' in '/config/cofh/ThermalExpansion.cfg:1'

Ideas?
Just from a tester standpoint, what happens when both are false and both are true? What about when its set back to default? In which cases does it cause a crash? It may be that TE3 is looking for certain source of steel, and if it doesn't find it, it crashes?

... ooooor. Check the first line of your ThermalExpansion.cfg. Is there a rogue "/" there? If there is, try deleting it.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Just from a tester standpoint, what happens when both are false and both are true? What about when its set back to default? In which cases does it cause a crash? It may be that TE3 is looking for certain source of steel, and if it doesn't find it, it crashes?

... ooooor. Check the first line of your ThermalExpansion.cfg. Is there a rogue "/" there? If there is, try deleting it.

This... is probably correct.

DamagePlan

Jul 29, 2019
No spare /, that's the first thing I checked. Could it be that I also need to change

Code:
B:"Steel Smelting"=false
in the artifice config?

Or is it possible that these config files have ^M (carriage returns) or something similar that isn't visible in windows? Something like when you open a file in vi after opening it notepad?

I don't have time to test further tonight I'll report on this when I do.

Dragonpaw

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't found any since 1.0.7 Is anyone getting steel?
Actually, the config for Metalurgy 3 that ships with Horizons 1.0.7 has Manganese disabled in the worldgen. So as far as I can tell, every single steel recipie in 1.0.7 is either disabled, or a material needed for it is disabled. I turned back on the easy-mode resmelting of iron so I could get steel for TConstruct tools, but ideally the next version of Horizons will pick one of the more difficult recipes to re-enabled.