Confessions of a Mod/Modpack Dev

Lyra_Chan

Jul 29, 2019
We all have secrets. I and other developers included. What are some confessions that you mod/modpack devs that you would like to share about your experiences in programming with forge or making modpacks?

Zandorum

Jul 29, 2019
I cut corners when possible (as long as it doesn't make the mod unstable or hinder its quality).

Last edited:

OreCruncher

Mod Developer
May 22, 2013
My Chair
Some times it feels like I am hammering a square peg into a round hole when writing Minecraft mods. :)

UberAffe

Jul 29, 2019
I spend too much time "meta coding", trying to find a different (sometimes better, sometimes just weird) way of doing things instead of just getting it done the tried and true way.

Reactions: ljfa and Pyure

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Half the reason I went with a 'less is more' theme for ShneekeyCraft is because smaller packs are MUCH easier to maintain. I can crank out a pack update in an hour or less. Not only does it mean less mods that are potentially needing to maintain, but also fewer cross-mod incompatibilities with version updates to have to deal with (which quite literally increase geometrically with every additional mod you add).

Keeping it small, clean, and tight not only lets me provide a better experience for my gamers, it also significantly reduces the amount of time I have to devote to the task of actually updating, which gives me more time to beta-test any upcoming potential changes in the mod list, and pre-test any changes to existing mods before release.

Oh, also, Config files tend to be set-and-forget unless there was a really big update and changed the config file format.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Back when I was a bad programmer I...
made pretty much all of my commits have the commit message "Commit".
commit without testing
commit without testing and any time I would be turning my computer off or leaving, in fear of having to deal with merge conflicts
never used branches (man has this one made my current development fun)

That's all I can think of right now.
... yeah I kind of probably caught the brunt of that.
I couldn't use the nether for 4 weeks on one of my packs because of some dimension world gen problem relating to Professor Flaxbeards dimension ore toying with dimension handling.
Couldn't tell tha FSP was causing the problem as it gave no error message or crash. Non overworld dimensions just vanished after 20 or so seconds.
Luckily it got fixed.
I think may have only just picked up a build that had the bug as there was nothing comeing up in google.

One of the most frustrating experiences I have had with pack troubleshooting. Had to dismantle my pack bit by bit to find the culprit and when I found it was FSP many melons where scratched that day.
Id have preferred a crash.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah and it got fixed fast I just didn't know what was the problem. Plus no error or crash log was produced.

Hlaaftana

Jul 29, 2019
Back when I was a bad programmer I...
made pretty much all of my commits have the commit message "Commit".
commit without testing
commit without testing and any time I would be turning my computer off or leaving, in fear of having to deal with merge conflicts
never used branches (man has this one made my current development fun)

That's all I can think of right now.
how is this masterpiece bad programming

ps i currently sometimes do similar stuff
i mean i'm probably the person with the biggest post number:stupidity ratio on the forums

Last edited:

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah and it got fixed fast I just didn't know what was the problem. Plus no error or crash log was produced.

The problem was that it depended and expected there to be something in the extraDims config option, and couldn't handle it if it was empty (NumberFornatException)

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
The problem was that it depended and expected there to be something in the extraDims config option, and couldn't handle it if it was empty (NumberFornatException)
So the chunks unloaded when it started to gen your ores? Funny thing is it prevented metallurgy and nether ores from generating too. Also world gen was acting odd. There was AE2 metiors in the nether and a lot of ChromatiCraft pylons strewn about. TC4's Outerlands dungeon structure didn't gen at all.

Luckily it's been fixed for a good long while. I think it was around march.