computers to run ftb decently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cubssox13

Jul 29, 2019
hey all, the computer i'm using now is pretty old and doesnt run ftb well (10-15 fps)
so i was wondering if any people had suggestions o what new computer i should get...i'm not looking for anything fancy...just something to run ftb at a decent fps rate...i'm looking for a price range around $350 or less...plz give me suggestions! thx!

BlackFire

Jul 29, 2019
Its really memory that you want. The more memory you can allocate to java/minecraft, the better it will run. I allocate 4GB but I believe 6GB would be beyond perfect. I would recommend having 8GB or more of memory.

Cubssox13

Jul 29, 2019
so what computer would let me do that for around $300-350?[DOUBLEPOST=1362358837][/DOUBLEPOST]someone told me that 4gb would be good...so thats all i think i need

BlackFire

Jul 29, 2019
For the total computer? there is no way. That is way too small. If you mean allocate 4GB but have 6GB that works well but not amazingly. On that budget you won't be able to get a new computer that is good enough. You need $500 at least to get one that can run a modded minecraft.

Cubssox13

Jul 29, 2019
i dont need it to run at 60 fps...i'd just like to be above 30ish...something that works...right now i'm getting 10-15 fps using the mindcrack pack and i cant even play the ultimate pack above 5 fps...i just wanna be able to play the ultimate pack at around 25-30 fps...let me know if that is too low though

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
You aren't going to find a computer for $350 that can run modded MC at higher than 15 fps.
My laptop cost me $600 4 years ago, has a total of 4 GB of RAM. I get ~40fps with optifine, right now (with absolutely no changes to how my computer runs Java at all)

Cubssox13

Jul 29, 2019
so what is the cheapest i could get a computer that runs ftb decently for?[DOUBLEPOST=1362362159][/DOUBLEPOST]so what i need is 4gb ram?

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
so what is the cheapest i could get a computer that runs ftb decently for?[DOUBLEPOST=1362362159][/DOUBLEPOST]so what i need is 4gb ram?
You can try watching this:

You need a MINIMUM of 4 GB of RAM. I HIGHLY recommend getting a computer that has 8 GB, allocating no more than 5 GB to Minecraft. This is because Java is very poor at properly using RAM. (Warning, this may be offensive) Analogy:
Java is the fat kid. RAM is the cake. You leave a whole cake on the counter. The fat kid will eat it all, leaving nothing for anyone else (anyone else would be any other programs you may want to run). You leave half a cake on the counter, the fat kid eats the whole half-but now you still have the other half for everyone else!
It's not the best analogy, but it gets the point across I believe.

grindle2000

Jul 29, 2019
I have a duel core 2ghz with 2 gig of ram and with some tweaking and optifine i get 25 fps with distance on normal ..it can be done .

grindle2000

Jul 29, 2019
Yea its the best i can afford :( been out of work for awhile and not having any luck with finding a new one .

ampayne2

Jul 29, 2019
I bought my old computer for $250, upgraded the ram to 8gb for $50.
It ran at around 30 fps on tekkit on medium settings (built my new computer before ftb was really created).
Currently I get several hundred fps on max settings on my custom built computer (worth $1400 but I bought all the parts on cyber monday so I got them for $800 :D)

You can get a cheap computer but you'll hate it, seriously consider investing as much money as you can into it. You can get a really decent computer for $600-$700, it doesn't have to be a supercomputer :p

MrCervelo

Jul 29, 2019
@OP, are you on a desktop or laptop? What CPU do you have currently? What Video Card? How much RAM?

If you answer these questions, people may be able to suggest an improvement to your current hardware that is possible for $300 (what currency?). I'm running on an old desktop, but it wasn't cheap when I bought it 5 years ago, I recently put more RAM and a better Video Card and I got pretty good performance out of it. I can run about 30fps on full screen on a 27" monitor. I do run optifine, and I do have the occasional strange lag issue (which I can resolve by minimising and maximising the window).

grindle2000

Jul 29, 2019
how much did that cost u grindle?

Actually it was a gift from a friend when my old laptop took a dive.

The only upgrade i have done to it is a Nvidia 9500gt 1gb a friend gave me (it had a bad fan , which i replaced with a old case fan )

zwahlm14

Jul 29, 2019
guys, ram DOES NOT MATTER as much as you think, i have a computer with one gig of really slow ram and with 512 MB or ram allocated to ftb i can get 30 fps even on far render distance. you only need more ram if your f3 says you are reaching %100. the only time you need more ram is when you want to run an hd texture pack. NOTE: this is a 2007 imac i am talking about and i have always heard that since mac uses a different motherboard design than windows that macs use ram a lot more efficiently and that apple makes their own java so it might be slightly different but i seriously doubt it would really make THAT much of a difference in minecraft.

zwahlm14

Jul 29, 2019
HOWEVER the absolute smartest thing you could do would be to put ftb on a flash drive and just go to somewhere that has the computers on display like best buy and just try to run it and just pick the one that gives you the most bang for your buck. as there are things that can make a HUGE difference in performance that most people don't look at because it isn't listed on the system specs, which is why you can see a $400 computer with 8 gigs of ram and 4 ghz processor and one right beside it that is twice the price but the main specs are only half as good. I am talking about things like BUS, hard drive, and ram speed and video card and things like that which make a massive difference but most people don't think about. But this is just my opinion it is of course up to you what you do.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
just go to somewhere that has the computers on display like best buy and just try to run it and just pick the one that gives you the most bang for your buck.
Bestbuy will have you removed from the store, or arrested if you do that.
i have a computer with one gig of really slow ram and with 512 MB or ram allocated to ftb i can get 30 fps even on far render distance.
Pics, or it didn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.