CoFH Ore Regeneration 101?

sab0t

Jul 29, 2019
In response to some questions I had in a separate thread, I have been looking into using the CoFH Ore Regeneration Functionality. I have successfully used it to customize ore generation in a new world while testing, but have not been able to figure out (or find info on) how to regenerate ore in an existing world. I've also got a couple questions I'd appreciate info on!

- When applying ore regeneration, would I only include ores in the CoFHWorld-Generation.cfg that I want to be regenerated? I guess what I'm asking is if the functionality has any idea of the numbers of existing clusters and such (I'm guessing no).

- If an ore's ID shows up in NEI as 4092:1, is the first part of this - 4092 - the BlockId, and the second part, - 1 - the BlockMeta?

- There is an option regarding Ore Regeneration in a second CoFH config (CoFHWorld.cfg) called B:RetroactiveOreGeneration. Can anyone explain what this is for? I've tried switching it to true to see if this was a flag of some sort to activate retrogen, but it didn't seem to work.

Note that I'm going to write some detailed notes in the wiki on how to go about doing this, after I've successfully done so, so the more detailed information anyone can provide, the better for everyone, as we will be able to forward a link to anyone with this question in the future :)

sab0t

Jul 29, 2019
cool, no surprises really then :) my only issue I guess now is to figure out how to actually activate regeneration..

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I finally dug out my configs to help with this (sorry it took this long), and it's actually more straight forward than I thought. So, using one of my entries as an example, let's assume you wanted to add Mek and enable retrogen for Osmium. Below is the entry for CoFHWorld-Generation.cfg:
Code:
  ####################
  # oreosmium
  ####################

oreosmium {
  I:ClusterSize=8
  I:MaxY=48
  I:MinY=5
  I:NumClusters=3
  B:RetroGen=true
  }

Now, that's only half. You need to now go to WorldCustomGen.txt and add Osmium:
Code:
UNIFORM oreOsmium 2450   0   6   6   4   60   true

Doing those two edits will allow CoFH Core to control the retro-gen for Osmium, as well as the spawning of it in new chunks. So doing this with your ores will *hopefully* work correctly.

Reactions: sab0t

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
I could be wrong, but as I understand it, retrogen will add new ores to already generated terrain (useful when adding new mods to a pack), but it will not make ores grow back in an area once they have been mined out.

sab0t

Jul 29, 2019
I could be wrong, but as I understand it, retrogen will add new ores to already generated terrain (useful when adding new mods to a pack), but it will not make ores grow back in an area once they have been mined out.

I am curious if this will work for the Metallurgy3 ores that got corrupted for our map. I will let everyone know what does and does not work, as our use of this actually covers several separate reasons for needing ore regen..

Ores that were corrupted after updating
Phosphorus
Magnesium
Bitumen

Ores that were never generated in the initial Server setup
Platinum
Zinc

New ores added after updating Modpack

Emery[DOUBLEPOST=1401003288][/DOUBLEPOST]Also thank you for taking the time to check that for me, Padfoote, you rock

Reactions: Padfoote

sab0t

Jul 29, 2019
Sort of success...
I loaded in, and was initially bummed to not see any new ores, but I placed a torch on the stone wall and to my surprise it turned into the Platinum ore I had attempted to regenerate. I began punching stone walls and some of them turned into Platinum, as you can see:
2014-05-25_01.54.39.png 2014-05-25_01.54.45.png

I cranked up the values which is why there's so many, if anyone's wondering.

So while it did generate, it seems to need help actually updating or something...anyone have any idea what to do here?

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
Sort of success...
I loaded in, and was initially bummed to not see any new ores, but I placed a torch on the stone wall and to my surprise it turned into the Platinum ore I had attempted to regenerate. I began punching stone walls and some of them turned into Platinum, as you can see:
View attachment 11294 View attachment 11295

So while it did generate, it seems to need help actually updating or something...anyone have any idea what to do here?

Typically you will need to unload/force unload the chunks then re-enter them (you will also need to leave them completely not just log out) this will usually force update the chunk once you re-enter so that the retrogen will be visable.

This is at least how it worked on the server i ran/played on

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Sort of success...
View attachment 11294 View attachment 11295

Yeah, leave the chunk and come back. Because it's not an initial chunk generation, it would be absurdly unfriendly to thousands of chunk re-renders to the client.