Cofh ore generation?

namae

Jul 29, 2019
Since I've switched from ultimate to unleashed I found myself swimming in diamonds. Well no wonder, since cofh ore generation version generates them almost always in clusters of 10. Leaving aside reasons for this I wonder if I can revert ore generation back without recreating whole world since I've spent quite a lot of time.
So taking config in question theres this line
# This will retroactively generate ores in previously generated chunks.
B:RetroactiveOreGeneration=false
and B:RetroGen=false/true for every stated ore. Could this be used somehow or is it only for totally new ores/old worlds without TE?
I guess I could turn off TE ore generation at all, and this only would work for new chunks, but wont that also remove all copper/tin/lead etc?

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Retro gen would indeed delete all things in the config set to true then regenerate them based on the config as is my understanding of how it works. If you want this back to a more vanilla like generation you'd have to find the vanilla values yourself though in truth the diamonds don't affect much.

namae

Jul 29, 2019
Well I dont think I can get a real vanilla generation in any way if I gonna use it, since vanilla generates ores in a different way (theres min/max amount, diagonal ore blocks etc), but at least I could reduce amount of expensive stuff to more balanced values. I guess I'll have to test it out in another world, unless someone will confirm this.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Have you seen the GregTech recipes? Nearly everything costs a few diamonds to make, so in order to actually make the end game be reachable within a couple months the diamond gernation was amped up.

namae

Jul 29, 2019
Weeeell Unleashed does not have a gregtech in first place, but yeah, I installed it. Fun thing is after quarrying 2x2 zone I had about a stack of diamonds but only ~20-25 rubies (I exchanged BoP for Extrabiomes so its gregtech rubies only). Even suppling both gregtech and buildcraft (refinery, assembling table, multiple lasers, glass fibre cables, energy crystals), I feel no problems since most recipes require a mere 1 diamond and 1 trip to underground rewards me with 2-3 veins in 10 minutes or less. In previous world which I only went through mid game and quarried about 20 chunks I had over 300 diamonds and ~200 diamond dusts (from silktouching occasionally), I guess I should've made armor and full set of tools with them. Anyway with quarry available only iridium and rubies are actually can be considered as 'rare', but now even early game gives too much to use faithfully, I just want them to be rare as they are supposed to be.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
The thing is though, this isn't vanilla and diamonds aren't the be all, end all, that they would be in vanilla.
Having stacks of diamonds isn't going to make you instantly be able to build everything you could ever want or need.

Right now, I'm siting on like 3 or 4 diamond blocks, plus 40 ore and I've done very moderate mining. The thing is though I see almost no need for more diamonds to be used.
I'm sure there will be a few thing I need diamonds for but I doubt I will need more than what I found in my first 3 or 4 days of this world.
Tin is one of my biggest limiting factors right now.

Diamonds just aren't that precious or needed in modded minecraft, or vanilla for that matter.

On the vanilla server I play on, I have over 3 stacks of ores. The only time they are rare is when you are a clueless newbie and don't know how to find them.

namae

Jul 29, 2019
Its not actually just about diamonds, I used diamonds as example, because vanilla/ultimate diamond spawn rate was about 5 times worse than that. Its quite same with all vanilla ores, coal, gold and even iron, meanwhile tin/copper/lead/silver/quartz are somewhat scarce. I just cant get hold of idea I can easily get my hands on more diamonds and gold than I actually need in early game (include AE in consumers here) without quarrying and honestly whole resource proportions look somewhat unbalanced once you start quarrying and using them. I guess I just like things hard and missing this feel of "oh look! Diamonds!" being replaced with "meh, more diamonds", when previously even getting hands on first vein of diamonds to get to the good stuff required at least bit of effort.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Just to point something out - this isn't default behavior of CoFHWorld. Those numbers have been tweaked by FTB. You don't need to disable ore gen entirely, just change the numbers back to their defaults (which are provided in the config files.)

namae

Jul 29, 2019
Just to point something out - this isn't default behavior of CoFHWorld. Those numbers have been tweaked by FTB. You don't need to disable ore gen entirely, just change the numbers back to their defaults (which are provided in the config files.)
####################
# diamond
#===================
# <UNIFORM> Generation settings for Diamond; Defaults: ClusterSize = 10, NumClusters = 1,

MinY = 5, MaxY = 20
####################

diamond {
I:ClusterSize=10
I:MaxY=20
I:MinY=5
I:NumClusters=1
B:RetroGen=false
}
Well either Defaults line was changed as well or its actually TE. The problem with TE ore gen is it will always try to create exact cluster size unless obstructed by something else, when vanilla generation has range, so I can't change it to vanilla precisely.
And yeah, it seems retroactive ore generation does not do anything with mod being installed, maybe if I reinstall it...

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
The defaults listed change to whatever you changed it to. No idea why, but it's been that way since Unleashed came out.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
Its not actually just about diamonds, I used diamonds as example, because vanilla/ultimate diamond spawn rate was about 5 times worse than that. Its quite same with all vanilla ores, coal, gold and even iron, meanwhile tin/copper/lead/silver/quartz are somewhat scarce. I just cant get hold of idea I can easily get my hands on more diamonds and gold than I actually need in early game (include AE in consumers here) without quarrying and honestly whole resource proportions look somewhat unbalanced once you start quarrying and using them. I guess I just like things hard and missing this feel of "oh look! Diamonds!" being replaced with "meh, more diamonds", when previously even getting hands on first vein of diamonds to get to the good stuff required at least bit of effort.

Once I learned how to get gold/diamond/lapis..., there was just no effort to finding it.
My first MC day, is spent gathering wood and a bit of food.
By the end of the first night, no later than the second night, I have found everything except for emerald.
Depending on if my base will be in that area or not, I'll just expand that mine.

Sure the first few days you don't have much but that changes quickly unless you ignore it.

namae

Jul 29, 2019
The defaults listed change to whatever you changed it to. No idea why, but it's been that way since Unleashed came out.
True.

It seems I won't be able to delete and respawn ores without uninstalling both cofh and TE losing all TE stuff if same time. Well Damn, I guess I'll have to start another world or get over it.