Mod Feedback ChromatiCraft questions and suggestions

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Fun! On a scale of 1->100, where would the cost/benefit ratio lie in rendering those dynamically as a crystalline multiblock instead of individual blocks? (I'm not certain "multiblock" would be applicable but that's how I picture it being done)

I'd love to see actual semi-translucent crystals depicted; bonus if they can shimmer with power :)

PS: I get that this is early stage; question may be silly.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Fun! On a scale of 1->100, where would the cost/benefit ratio lie in rendering those dynamically as a crystalline multiblock instead of individual blocks? (I'm not certain "multiblock" would be applicable but that's how I picture it being done)

I'd love to see actual semi-translucent crystals depicted; bonus if they can shimmer with power :)

PS: I get that this is early stage; question may be silly.
I could not get a semi-random crystal to render in a way that was aesthetically pleasing. Additionally, this is easier on the render computation.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Yeah I'm not surprised. I thought of fractals for a while and decided it was the exact opposite of what I really wanted to see.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Yeah I'm not surprised. I thought of fractals for a while and decided it was the exact opposite of what I really wanted to see.
The way it works is as follows: The tree starts off with space for 1000 lumens of each element. Once it is full of a color, it gradually "buds out" a new leaf block of that color, increasing the capacity (space = 1000+4000*n^3).
There are a maximum number of leaves; if you then drain the stored energy below the threshold where the "outermost" leaf is "redundant" (i.e. the stored energy is less than the capacity if that leaf were removed), the leaf decays and dies, reducing the cap.

RenzosNips

Jul 29, 2019
The way it works is as follows: The tree starts off with space for 1000 lumens of each element. Once it is full of a color, it gradually "buds out" a new leaf block of that color, increasing the capacity (space = 1000+4000*n^3).
There are a maximum number of leaves; if you then drain the stored energy below the threshold where the "outermost" leaf is "redundant" (i.e. the stored energy is less than the capacity if that leaf were removed), the leaf decays and dies, reducing the cap.
That's actually pretty cool. :)

Reactions: abculatter_2

Garitos

Jul 29, 2019
What's wrong?
2014-11-23_20.48.39.png

Garitos

Jul 29, 2019
When can we expect v3? And sorry for my bad English, where I can ask questions about RotaryCraft?

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
On the question of ChromaticCraft optimization: I have tried to read your code, but I'm fundamentally stumped by your data structures.

Can you please document at least what the main data-structure is (you are caching a list of something per-dimension), and what the primary routine is assuming/returning?

===

As much as you said that the shortest path is not a requirement, after reading a bit on the what and how of CC (err, no, that's computer craft ... ChromC ... sounds like a browser add-on ... ChroC? ... #NeedsABetterAbbriev ), it looks like length of the path does matter for loss -- so a shorter path, and in particular, a closer source if there's more than one -- is important.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
On the question of ChromaticCraft optimization: I have tried to read your code, but I'm fundamentally stumped by your data structures.

Can you please document at least what the main data-structure is (you are caching a list of something per-dimension), and what the primary routine is assuming/returning?
???
As much as you said that the shortest path is not a requirement, after reading a bit on the what and how of CC (err, no, that's computer craft ... ChromC ... sounds like a browser add-on ... ChroC? ... #NeedsABetterAbbriev ), it looks like length of the path does matter for loss -- so a shorter path, and in particular, a closer source if there's more than one -- is important.
If a method yields a shorter path without additional computation, that is fine, but it is not worth the extra load of most algorithms.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I've not played with it, yet, but is there any Thaumcraft integration for ChromatiCraft? If not, I had an idea that might be kinda cool...

An essentia-based generator for light. Its a multi-block that requires a very specific set of things for it to work. Number one is a jar in the middle that contains Lux essentia, this is constantly drained while generating (a small, but useful amount of) light. The second bit, around the jar, are a mixture of order (white), entropy (black), fire (red), air (yellow), and/or water (blue) shard clusters; these work to code the generator to a specific colour of light. Surround on all sides save the top (yes, that includes the bottom) with arcane stone, put glass on top (though the middle space can be free for essentia tubing), and whack with a wand. It wouldn't make as much light as a proper ChromatiCraft node, but it'd be enough for some basic tasks, and constant Lux draw will keep people from spamming them to any great extent.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I've not played with it, yet, but is there any Thaumcraft integration for ChromatiCraft?
Lots:
GIzaTYm.png

wrLm5NR.png

Fy39fyl.png

zvzwxWh.png

I've not played with it, yet, but is there any Thaumcraft integration for ChromatiCraft? If not, I had an idea that might be kinda cool...
An essentia-based generator for light. Its a multi-block that requires a very specific set of things for it to work. Number one is a jar in the middle that contains Lux essentia, this is constantly drained while generating (a small, but useful amount of) light. The second bit, around the jar, are a mixture of order (white), entropy (black), fire (red), air (yellow), and/or water (blue) shard clusters; these work to code the generator to a specific colour of light. Surround on all sides save the top (yes, that includes the bottom) with arcane stone, put glass on top (though the middle space can be free for essentia tubing), and whack with a wand. It wouldn't make as much light as a proper ChromatiCraft node, but it'd be enough for some basic tasks, and constant Lux draw will keep people from spamming them to any great extent.
This is mostly impossible without making CC have a hard dependency on ThaumCraft, and is at any rate either useless or like the original magnetostatics; using "Pylon Power" is not early game at all, so if it is usable at all, it is able to supplant them.

Reactions: Blorph

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Aaaah, makes sense. I didn't know you couldn't add TC compatibility with just soft dependencies...kind of a pain in the arse.

CapJackH

Jul 29, 2019
So I guess this is kind of a bug/suggestion.. I have been working on a modpack (currently private) with ChromC (there's that abbreviation issue again..) and have noticed some interesting worldgen variation.. I have generated worlds where I could find every kind of pylon within 1-2 hundred meters of eachother. And also some with hundreds of blocks between every pylon. I have several mods that mess with generation, but I think BoP might be the only one that is messing with ChromC. The suggestion is could there be some sort of config option to change the frequency of pylon generation, or maybe some sort of way to control biome white or blacklists. I understand there could be some potential issues with making the mod too easy by spamming the amount of pylons. Maybe there could be some sort of categorical generation setting? Like a easy, medium, hard option that changes the relative frequency of spawning. It would really help in the balancing of modpack and stuff:p thanks.

Also, I see that the game chat has a log that says JetPlane installed. Is there any reason to be excited for the release of that mod?? :D

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
The suggestion is could there be some sort of config option to change the frequency of pylon generation, or maybe some sort of way to control biome white or blacklists. I understand there could be some potential issues with making the mod too easy by spamming the amount of pylons.
My actual concern is people making pylons more rare - as many have expressed a desire to do - and then complaining later when they now need 50x as many repeaters as before. Pylons may seem overly common, but in actual fact you will usually be finding them inconveniently sparse.