Mod Feedback ChromatiCraft questions and suggestions

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Just wanted to say this: Never really looked at ChC much beyond the first version or so, and just recently took the plunge and added it into my private medley of mods I use (Was going to wait for the next major update but impatience won out in the end) and ... HOLY SHIT YOU CRAZY DRAGON YOU. Inability to find ocean or underground temples aside, everything about this mod continues to impress the hell out of me.

Are things like the flowers etc. invisible until I progress enough to see them? I know I've seen WAILA tell me stone has been ChC and I suspect some of it (not all) has turned into fused crystals and infused stone... that's a seriously awesome thing you did there. It's like the world is slowly changing the more you figure stuff out and is definitely a nice change from TC's many research variations (Love me some TC as well, but damn do I not look forward to that research grind *again*).

Cannot wait till I finally stumble across the fragment for the casting basin and actually start doing stuff :D
I am glad you like it. :D

protokardas93

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any way to destroy pylons entirely? Like, I don't care about what effects it might have, I just want it gone.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I'm officially in love with ChromatiCraft. Is it the casting system? No. The "go out and actually do things" approach? No. What is it, you ask? The glows. Yes, the glows. They have to be the single fanciest light sources imaginable. They're cheap, easy to make in large quantities, have as much lighting power as glowstone (they seem to have more power than a torch, at any rate), and they just plain look good. No more ugly ass torches littering my walled-in village, oh no. I've lit up the entire damned place, replacing at least six stacks of torches with a few stacks of crystalline stone-based nila glows. My little oasis finally has lighting worthy of its status as the harbinger of the True Nuclear Age!

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I'm officially in love with ChromatiCraft. Is it the casting system? No. The "go out and actually do things" approach? No. What is it, you ask? The glows. Yes, the glows. They have to be the single fanciest light sources imaginable. They're cheap, easy to make in large quantities, have as much lighting power as glowstone (they seem to have more power than a torch, at any rate), and they just plain look good. No more ugly ass torches littering my walled-in village, oh no. I've lit up the entire damned place, replacing at least six stacks of torches with a few stacks of crystalline stone-based nila glows. My little oasis finally has lighting worthy of its status as the harbinger of the True Nuclear Age!
:D

SourC00lguy

Jul 29, 2019
Ey, its well-earned. For me, at least, he's taken the idea of the "magic mod" and almost totally turned it on its head. So far, the only competition it has in the looks department is Thaumcraft, and I daresay that ChC is beginning to edge even that legendary mod's presentation.
I enjoy chromaticraft 10x more than thaumcraft. And find the power you earn, earn being the strong word, Is well deserved and very very sweet

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
And it doesn't punish you for using it. Seriously, I know there is a config to disable warp and related effects, but some of the effects are downright stupid.

Reactions: Reika

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
And it doesn't punish you for using it. Seriously, I know there is a config to disable warp and related effects, but some of the effects are downright stupid.
At least, if you don't count having to get within arm's reach of a pylon that's trying to electrocute you as punishment...

Eh, point taken. You "only" have to do the pylon thing sixteen times, but after that there's absolutely no need to get close to them. Except to place power crystals by them. Hmm...

Anyone know offhand if it's possible to get the ability that makes you immune to pylon zapping before you get the progression from looking at all sixteen colors of pylons?

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
There's an ability that makes you immune to pylons? Sweet! Not even ProjectE gem armour negates the damage.

[ETA]

Say, do non-pylon structures generate in dimensions other than the Overworld? For example, if I were to make an RFTools ocean world (not a fuel ocean, just regular water), would it generate ocean temples? I ask because the server on which I play has, like, NO oceans. Mostly mushroom biomes and godforsaken savannas.

Last edited:

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Could I again petition for a config option to allow normal mob spawning in Rainbow Forests? I'd almost prefer them twice as deadly with the ball lightning!

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
I also thought I would repost here. Our server has gone through several upgrades and I figured out that I couldn't progress because I was effectively jammed.

So I reset my Chromaticraft progress and all is better!

/chromaprog -2
/chromaresearch -2

Reactions: Pyure

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Could I again petition for a config option to allow normal mob spawning in Rainbow Forests? I'd almost prefer them twice as deadly with the ball lightning!
No, for the same reasons as last time.

Say, do non-pylon structures generate in dimensions other than the Overworld? For example, if I were to make an RFTools ocean world (not a fuel ocean, just regular water), would it generate ocean temples? I ask because the server on which I play has, like, NO oceans. Mostly mushroom biomes and godforsaken savannas.
Use the config. :p

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
No, for the same reasons as last time.

Could it be that Rainbow forests are confined to certain dimensions (ie: Twilight) or that Rainbow forests biomes were not able to spawn naturally, but that you can make Rainbow Trees to eventually convert an area to a RF biome?

I'm trying to "gate" the ability for an area to be mob free.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Use the config. :p

Que? Also, don't think that's an option, unless I could swing the admin on the change.

One other question: I've got a casting room properly built, and I'm trying to make zambarau seeds, but I can't seem to get it to...well...go. I've tried placing the crystal rune east 2 meters and north 1 meter, and down 1, but when the casting room becomes invalid and the result still won't show up.

This setup (with crystalline stone on top of the rune) makes the casting table report that it isn't in a casting room (which I'm assuming the yellow circle w/ the cross thru it is indicating):

This setup is valid, but doesn't allow me to craft the seeds:

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Que? Also, don't think that's an option, unless I could swing the admin on the change.

One other question: I've got a casting room properly built, and I'm trying to make zambarau seeds, but I can't seem to get it to...well...go. I've tried placing the crystal rune east 2 meters and north 1 meter, and down 1, but when the casting room becomes invalid and the result still won't show up.

This setup (with crystalline stone on top of the rune) makes the casting table report that it isn't in a casting room (which I'm assuming the yellow circle w/ the cross thru it is indicating):

This setup is valid, but doesn't allow me to craft the seeds:

The glows are probably interfering with it. If not, double-check the structure.

Could it be that Rainbow forests are confined to certain dimensions (ie: Twilight) or that Rainbow forests biomes were not able to spawn naturally, but that you can make Rainbow Trees to eventually convert an area to a RF biome?

I'm trying to "gate" the ability for an area to be mob free.
Rainbow Tree conversion is already a config, but it is and will remain a disabled-by-default option, because too many people want the trees without having their biome converted.

As for confining to certain dimensions, I do not see a good way to do that without opening up the possibility of making it impossible.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Rainbow Tree conversion is already a config, but it is and will remain a disabled-by-default option, because too many people want the trees without having their biome converted.

As for confining to certain dimensions, I do not see a good way to do that without opening up the possibility of making it impossible.

Disabling the biome would be great if the rainbow tree is available elsewhere. :p

I know I have an odd use case, making hellish servers. But a biome that is perfectly safe without effort defeats the purpose. ;]

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
The glows are probably interfering with it. If not, double-check the structure.

Aww. :( I hope the glows aren't buggering things up...though, that would make it an easy fix.

[ETA]

Aah! Got it! The rune was one meter too far to the east of the casting table. Made my first zambarau seeds! Purple seeds! Wooooh!

[ETA 2]

And, now, I'm stuck trying to find the proper config to get travel paths to craft up. I'll find it, eventually...just not tonight, because I'm knackered, lol.

However, I will say what I like most about ChC: its not a "smoke break" magic mod. What's a "smoke break" magic mod?Take Thaumcraft: after a bunch of scanning and stuff, you're basically spending several hours with a few stacks of ink and paper playing a little minigame until you can do all the things, it takes little actual effort and experimentation to get top-tier stuff. Blood Magic? You're spending your early days as a particularly dedicated MCR fan; bent over an altar, constantly cutting yourself to make things that are painfully slow to craft. The only other magic mod I can think of that doesn't do this is Botania. It encourages you to go around and do things, or at least play with different blocks to see what they do, and you aren't stuck hovering over a research table or blood altar for sixteen hours.

Last edited:
Reactions: Celestialphoenix

Mettra

Jul 29, 2019
I have been getting quite a few crashes when trying to use the pylon power in v6f.

This first one triggered as soon as I placed a ritual table down that tried to draw power for an upgrade.
http://pastebin.com/2ppFMbxq

This second one happened when trying to place a rune to complete a repeater in the temple.
http://pastebin.com/gjV7THZg

And finally this crash occurred when I was re-loading the repeaters from the last crash.
http://pastebin.com/Eqy7RkiG

After a bit of testing, it seems the issue might be with my setup, I placed 4 multi-aura repeaters around the temple to redirect beams to the correct repeater, however after breaking them and using a creative pylon the ritual table doesn't crash anymore. Another issue I was having with the multi-aura repeaters was that they were causing the power line jump in odd ways (i.e my Kitrino line jumped to all 4 repeaters around the temple before going into the correct repeater, where it should have only taken one.) so that might have something to do with the crash.

EDIT: Did some more playing, and the crash occurred again on the ritual table with no multi-aura repeaters

Last edited: