Mod Feedback ChromatiCraft questions and suggestions

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Yeah. Reika's tile entities are well known for being temperamental with fake players and artificial placement.
Reika should either add support for it, or make the crystals inert not registering to a network and safe when placed by fake players.
But both of those instances are probably easier said than done.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
See, the problem is as follows:

Most of my TileEntities have a great deal of additional data that is used during their operation. Most commonly used examples are placing player, orientation, item NBT, and similar, but many have their own unique properties. Now, for all of these - including RotaryCraft machines and ChromatiCraft tiles - you never get the ItemBlock (the "placer item" for the block itself) but a special placer item instead. Using the ItemBlock, which spawning the block directly in will do - like if people spawned "Duct" from ReactorCraft or "Engine" from RotaryCraft - will create a TileEntity with null values and which very well may throw errors. Most of my TileEntities catch errors thrown during onUpdate() - hence the "TileEntity A at XYZ threw Exception on update" - which helps prevent crashes, but other logic using that data does not. For example, a call to breakBlock() or onBlockActivated() or onEntityCollidedWith() may use data that was not populated and will throw an exception. As it happens, the whole Crystal Network is referenced from world save code - it literally installs a .dat into the world - to help avoid the need for chunkloading. If this throws an exception, your world can crash on load or save, resulting in the entire thing becoming completely corrupted. This is the same reason that moving a network block is so dangerous, because that puts it in a different location than the cache expects and reads on save.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
oHWE2wR.png

Goof

Feb 18, 2014
Is this something to do with the 'complete the monument' thing eluded to before V7 was released?

@SourC00lguy: You might be safe to let the turtle place everything except the repeater block on the top, then follow it afterwards and place the tile entities yourself.

SourC00lguy

Jul 29, 2019
I have made an updated program that is much better. You use it as such.

MUST BE PLACE NORTH FACING! When you use the program, for example pylonPlace, you do this.

pylonPlace 310 467 432 123.

The first number is the X current location,

the second Z current Z location.

The third is the X coordinate you are aiming for, most likely your base.

And the forth number is the Z coordinate of your base.

It will not stop dead on top of the spot you are aiming for, but it will get close.

It will not place the repeater, for that caused issues.

It takes the crystalline stone in the first and second slot, and the rune of the pylon in the third.

Here is the code.

pastebin.com/SPRju2ZH

Hope this passes the test for others to use :)

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I have made an updated program that is much better. You use it as such.

MUST BE PLACE NORTH FACING! When you use the program, for example pylonPlace, you do this.

pylonPlace 310 467 432 123.

The first number is the X current location,

the second Z current Z location.

The third is the X coordinate you are aiming for, most likely your base.

And the forth number is the Z coordinate of your base.

It will not stop dead on top of the spot you are aiming for, but it will get close.

It will not place the repeater, for that caused issues.

It takes the crystalline stone in the first and second slot, and the rune of the pylon in the third.

Here is the code.

pastebin.com/SPRju2ZH

Hope this passes the test for others to use :)
That much is safe.

SourC00lguy

Jul 29, 2019
For those who play chromaticraft, how long does it take you to progress through the mods tech tree. I know that once you know what you're doing worth rotarycraft you can get through it really fast and really start to use it. But I'm curious how long it takes you on average to advance through the mod, I would assume it's a slower progression for chromaticraft.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Aye. For me, getting started is the most difficult part. Once you get pylon surge protection, though, it becomes...easier, at least.

SourC00lguy

Jul 29, 2019
I think it may have just taken a lot to get started originally because not everything was implemented and working. Now it's a little easier but takes quiet a lot of resources.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
The hardest part, for me, is finding all 16 colours of pylon. Its not the travel, its the zapping. The zapping, quite literally, kills me, and pylons seem to have an issue where, if they kill you, you don't always spawn a gravestone...and when you don't, you also don't drop your stuff.

SourC00lguy

Jul 29, 2019
Nei inventory save will save you with that. And i dont seem to die very often. I stay enough away and make markers then return as I need.

Wraithflay

Jul 29, 2019
The hardest part, for me, is finding all 16 colours of pylon. Its not the travel, its the zapping. The zapping, quite literally, kills me, and pylons seem to have an issue where, if they kill you, you don't always spawn a gravestone...and when you don't, you also don't drop your stuff.
I don't really understand why people have so much trouble with this. I can understand dying once for the achievement related to getting zapped and any other one that involves being close to pylons, but there's no real excuse in any other circumstance. The screen effect gives plenty of warning, and the manipulator has a massive draw range if you're trying to charge from a pylon. So... why do people die? I don't get it!

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I don't really understand why people have so much trouble with this. I can understand dying once for the achievement related to getting zapped and any other one that involves being close to pylons, but there's no real excuse in any other circumstance. The screen effect gives plenty of warning, and the manipulator has a massive draw range if you're trying to charge from a pylon. So... why do people die? I don't get it!
That and mousing directly over a pylon is no longer necessary for discovering colors directly.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
That's the only way I found that works, unless I can just get a glimpse of the runes, now, or something like that. Still close enough to get bit, though. Generally, I've found that, if you're close enough for the screen effect, then you're close enough to get bit.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
That's the only way I found that works, unless I can just get a glimpse of the runes, now, or something like that. Still close enough to get bit, though. Generally, I've found that, if you're close enough for the screen effect, then you're close enough to get bit.
Drawing energy from a pylon also triggers color discovery, and its range exceeds pylon attack range. However, you do need to discover pylons first, meaning you do have to get close to one.

SourC00lguy

Jul 29, 2019
I hardly ever get killed, most from my own stupidity when trying to do something near them and thinking just a few more second!

Also Reika, has any talk happened on the video you posted with the strange hallway?

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
For those who play chromaticraft, how long does it take you to progress through the mods tech tree. I know that once you know what you're doing worth rotarycraft you can get through it really fast and really start to use it. But I'm curious how long it takes you on average to advance through the mod, I would assume it's a slower progression for chromaticraft.
It really depends how good you are at finding dungeons. Finding the 3 Strongholds first gives you a good head start but it still takes ages to find all 120. Notes aparently spawn when something is killed by a pylon but I've never seen this happen.
I also swear that I've seen Looniums generate them, but either I was imagining things or Reika fixed it in a later patch. Or maybe CrC recognizes when there are no structures being generated and allows for alternative acquisition. The world I was testing was a creative flat world.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk