[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
In fact I can make those three states configurable at world generation. None generate in the overworld or nether , they generate only in the nether, or the standard of generate in both dimensions. CoG is awesome!

Holy crap the amount of typing and reading though. Definitely powerful XML system, but egads this is taking me a lot longer than I expected. Partly because I'm learning the mod and what all the tags/operators mean... and partly because there is jut so much raw text to type out. I'm already wanting an IDE just so I can make sure I'm not leaving dangling references and haven't misspelled anything.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Just some back-and-forth banter about mods that might be well suited to such a challenge. Feel free to join in if you like!

I finally got my issues resolved last night. It turns out that a bad mod interaction between Father Toast's Mob Properties mod and "some other mod" in my pack caused a severe memory leak. I don't know which other mod was causing the dust-up, but for now, removing the Mob Properties has settled things down nicely. It also resolved the perceived issues I was having with MinePainter, so I got that back in and working great.

@TomeWyrm is taking a gander at a Custom Ore Generation config that might assist me in disabling the Pylon things from Reika's Chromaticraft, at least in the Overworld. I don't mind them being in the Nether or other dimensions even, but some peace and quiet on the Overworld would be nice.

A couple of us are putting our heads together as well to see how we could incorporate one or both of SimpleAchievements and HQM into the pack without losing too much of the spirit of the challenge itself.

@VaalDeth -- that reminds me, have you seen the B-v2.3.20 Shader Pack? I'll have to look up who put it out, but it's pretty snazzy. I like it better than the SEUS pack, which I'd been using before. I'm still able to pull just shy of 70fps while running XSplit Broadcaster to record. Not sure if you'd get comparable numbers, but it looks nice without being too "bright", which I was having troubles with on SEUS. I've heard that videos appear darker on YouTube than you'd expect, so not sure if that will be a problem for me or not. Any advice or suggestions from you or @The Mobius Archives ?

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Jeez. Reddit, Imgur, TvTropes, Youtube. I basically hit the "you're not getting anything done today" jackpot. I think I did like another two lines in the file today. Silly internet being all awesomely distracting.

Thes33

Nov 19, 2012
www.arboreantears.com
I have HQM quests for 1.64 with a modified Monster that I use on a private server. Makes it quite handy not to have to alt-tab to check something. The quest rewards are minimal, mostly resources related to the building being built to avoid grinding as much.
I was thinking of doing a 1.7.10 version if there is any interest. Of course, then it comes down to choosing a good modpack.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
That sounds promising, Thes33! Do you mind expanding on how you set up the quests in a little more detail?

HQM also updated yesterday I believe, fixing the reputation system and completing the addition of kill tasks.

I've tried a few "more villager" type mods, and in particular with either BoP or EBXL installed, it still makes a mess of finding villages at any decent rate. More and more I'm tempted to just go with CustomNPCs or now that it's matured a little bit, possibly the Helpful Villagers mod. The "Mo Villages" mod has a bad habit of causing random worldgen crashes, especially if there is another biome mod also installed. "world and generation tweaks" behaves a little better, but both seem to be based purely on vanilla biomes, so don't work so hot with the above two generators at all.

I've also looked at ClimateControl, but that too seems to have some issues interacting with the others, so it's kind of a "pick one and deal with it" sort of thing. I'm not sure which one I like the best yet.

If I go with CustomNPCs or Helpful Villagers, using Villager spawn eggs makes sense as a reward bag option at various stages, particularly maybe as a repeatable quest for gathering appropriate amounts of food resources set on a reasonable timer. If I go the CustomNPCs route, I need to be able to pregenerate the villagers it spawns to prevent people from just using the tools to create "hulk"-type guard NPCs that kill anything that comes near. I don't think that problem exists with Helpful Villagers, I'll have to check more.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
I'm probably going to personally use BoP for these main reasons.

One: Its biomes are more pleasing to me than EBXL or any other biome adder

Two: It has the most integration from other mods that I've seen

Three: It adds useful things like mud, cattails, berries, and the sickle.

Four: I know I can basically kill the number of biomes it generates or use the loonium from botania (in conjunction with TooMuchLoot removing a lot of the complete and utter junk. I really want apples stored in a box in a moss-covered dungeon that is infested with undead and/or spiders... yuck) to get biome essences for the Biome radar. Which also fixes an issue I have in even vanilla worlds. I have had seeds that I can't find Extreme Hills, or Desert, or Swamp, or an Icy biome for like... 10 klicks in any direction! Which if you're doing a reasonably efficient search means you're generating over a million chunks... which is a really big world on the hard drive (I've done some pretty large worlds with things like Minecraft Land Generator and Admin Control Toolbox. Worlds even a fraction of this size take up gigabytes)

It will likely be neutered to have a tiny handful of my favorite biomes, and just enough to reasonably balance out the gem (and thereby biome) distribution (hopefully via CoG). Wonder if there's a mod that lets me muck with biome tagging... hmm.

===== ===== ===== ===== =====

I've had nothing but trouble from mods that unduly muck with the world generator; ATG for example, it looks awesome but it kills biome distribution... and every world I tried looked the same. It was basically a volcanic island chain world. Large dormant shield volcanic islands with some sort of forest on them adrift in a ****ing giant sea.

I tried millienare like... ages ago. Back when IndustrialCraft was basically the only mod for minecraft that wasn't "here's a new kind of sword/pick", in the Beta days. Jeez that seems like centuries ago now. Minecraft, you are not allowed to make me feel old. The custom NPC's mod looks like it'll be great though. I don't intend on ever releasing the pack and I'll easily be able to restrain myself from making my "citizens" into Ye Olde Flying Brick (that would be Superman's basic set of superhero powers for those not in the know of the lingo) or Marty Stu (overpowered author's pet character). Can I (having never played with the mod before) make them do some of the things from... oh blast I can't recall any of the mods now. Basically can I make a farmer work like 1.8 villager farmers do? Or a lumberjack that actually goes and plants trees in random locales I designate as "forest"? So that not only are they not horrifically derpy squidwards, but they can also make my world slightly dynamic?

Honestly I'll probably just generate and re-generate worlds until I spawn in a decent valley-type location near a forest (source of wood) with a village and icy biome less than a klick (kilometer, 1.6 miles, a thousand blocks) from spawn (which I will likely move a bit if the world's chosen spawn is derpy) thereby providing me an area to let my capital expand into, as well as resources that I won't have to truck for miles back to base :)

===== ===== ===== ===== =====

Ok, Vazkii is awesome. There's been an update to Botania, and it added something called "trodden dirt", which then linked to a reddit post for credit of inspiration and texture. Which had a bunch of links in it, some as ideas, some as bukkit plugins... and one as a Command Block "module".

I'm so going to implement that in my R2R world!

Last edited:

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
The Desire Lines was definitely good. I also liked the ideas behind the Enderman Support Class and the Undead Players. :) But I'm kinda twisted like that.

I've already got gravestones when I die, so undead players won't happen any time soon in my game, I just thought it was neat.

On the HQM front, I've started linking up a few initial quests for a proof-of-concept using the reputation system to track your advancement between R2R stages. So far it seems to be working out pretty well. The current version of Helpful Villagers crashes hard on load, so that took a back seat for now. Custom NPCs is currently being tested with HQM, I'll let people know what I figure out.

Thes33

Nov 19, 2012
www.arboreantears.com
That sounds promising, Thes33! Do you mind expanding on how you set up the quests in a little more detail?

The HQM I have is from a heavily modified Monster modpack for 1.6.4. The R2R rules have been modified quite a bit as well. I have gotten up to Iron Village, since we just started a new map I haven't added it all in yet.

The quests in the first stage really help you get started, particularly since I have HungerOverhaul and SpiceOfLife. Quest rewards give seeds to ensure survival. A flint hoe comes as well, since you cannot actually make any other tools (due to both Gregtech and IguanaTweaksforTC). Building quests typically require turning in a single dirt, wood, cobble, or stone brick (depending on stage) just to confirm that its been built. Specific farms usually require some component of the farm (wheat for wheat farm, raw beef for cow ranch). Building these farms and ranches typically give a small bundle of the resources as well, to help simulate the fact the invisible townspeople are now running the operations and share their surplus. But the rewards aren't so large that you won't need to tend the farms.
Some specific quests, like specific rooms for the players home and player tools are easy to enforce through HQM's crafting tracking.

Here's some screenshots, showing the stages:
mc_r2r_0.png

REFUGEE CAMP
mc_r2r_2.png

WOOD SETTLEMENT
mc_r2r_3.png

STONE HAMLET
mc_r2r_4.png

IRON VILLAGE
mc_r2r_5.png

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Nice! I haven't included Spice of Life yet in this incarnation of the pack, as I want to make sure it's not too hard with what is in the pack already. I have hunger overhaul currently tuned to not include most of the negative effects yet. I'll tweak those settings at the end to balance out the difficulty, and add Spice of Life in if things still seem too easy.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I hit an interesting configuration snag in my endeavors to mess with Chromaticraft using Custom Ore Generation. I've fully figured out how to just flat-out remove pylons and crystals, I've even figured out how to limit that removal to a dimension. I have NOT yet figured out how to use the in-menu config settings to let you choose which version you want because I'm unsure if an option does what I think, and I'm not near a computer I can test on right now.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Nah, I posted a question in the mod thread, and the current maintainer said I was on the right track.
Now to test this thing out, and check the logs files for the inevitable screwups :)

Error #1: Forgot to include the custom file as conditional on the mod being installed.
Error #2: Apparently used incorrect mod name
Error #3: Forgot to enclose the dimension name in quotation marks ( " ) in the conditionals checking for them

Now it's not removing stuff... Huh?

Also I'm getting biome conflicts somehow... ARGH I really hope that 1.8 forge is implementing the same kind of auto-assignment with enchantments, biomes, and potions as 1.7 introduced with items and blocks... because this is inane, I double-checked my biome assignments and nothing should be conflicting!

Reactions: Senseidragon

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Yeah, I got some conflicts between potion IDs from Reika and BoP, and I think some Biome conflicts between Chromaticraft and BoP as well.

Edit: Annoying, but they were trivial to fix, so not really a show-stopper.

VaalDeth

Jul 29, 2019
@VaalDeth -- that reminds me, have you seen the B-v2.3.20 Shader Pack? I'll have to look up who put it out, but it's pretty snazzy. I like it better than the SEUS pack, which I'd been using before. I'm still able to pull just shy of 70fps while running XSplit Broadcaster to record. Not sure if you'd get comparable numbers, but it looks nice without being too "bright", which I was having troubles with on SEUS. I've heard that videos appear darker on YouTube than you'd expect, so not sure if that will be a problem for me or not. Any advice or suggestions from you or @The Mobius Archives ?

Cool! I will for sure check it out, and FPS is definately my limiting factor. My computer was top of the line a few years ago now, still does good but I cannot record the latest games without FPS drops. Good ol Minecraft though...

Speaking of which, here is my first episode of the Gold Age!!!! Not too exciting but we get some aerial views of the town and my official modified build list. =)

Enjoy!

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I remember that one. Radiation from ReactorCraft is the cause most of the time. I actually wouldn't HAVE any biome conflicts except for an amazingly stupid Vanilla "feature", biomes that are 127 more than another one are treated as "sub biomes" Which means I basically have half the allocated space I should. I have to be extra SUPER careful with the TF biomes because they're ONLY supposed to appear in the forest. All sorts of really screwy things are tied to the TF biomes, and the issues that I can't figure out why they're issues with it are starting to make me think TF's problems aren't worth the "easy" bedrock (IIRC the bedrock breaker works fine on the nether ceiling), or the neat trees (like the time, sorting and mining trees). Don't get me wrong, cool adventure mod. But it's basically "here's this offshoot game inside-a-game, and if you take typical equipment from a mod into here you'll completely trivialize the whole thing".

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Is there a hosted modpack for the r2r challenge?
In theory you could use any modpack as long as you track your progress yourself. I started with 1.6.4 then moved my world to 1.7.10 with the Direwolf20 pack and added a few mods.

Also a small update for everyone this week:

And does anyone know whether Thermal Dynamics will be out anytime soon?

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
And does anyone know whether Thermal Dynamics will be out anytime soon?

Nothing other than "it'll be done when it's done" I think. I've given up on waiting for it and satisfy my piping needs with Ender IO and/or Extra Utilities. Either one has plenty of capability to do pretty much whatever you need. It'd be nice to get Thermal Dynamics, but I'm not going to keep waiting forever for it.

Edit: I saw you considered both options in the video. Extra Utilities is kinda expensive to get going, but it can move stuff quickly. Ender IO is great too though, and the SAG mill can sometimes get you bonus materials in addition to multiplying your yield with the addition of flint or (later on) dark steel balls. Very much worth the effort, in my opinion.

Final note: Check out the crafting table from forestry. I can't remember what it's called, worktable or something like that. The thing is really nice. It can remember the last nine things you made, allowing you to quickly put together some of your more complicated components. It also allows you to 'lock' certain recipes into the table so they don't get forgotten. Materials-wise, it's simple to make too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1SDAN

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
EnderIO is a great replacement for what most people used TE for (it certainly still has flaws, like the Dimensional Transciever. I use a tesseract for everything I'd even attempt to use a DimTran for, except Ender Rails and only because they can't use a tesseract). It's also a good general-purpose tech mod; little bit of everything.